MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Time to switch out the spark plugs on my 02'. Never been under the plastic cover on the head.

How are these things wired? Don't want break any snaps or plastic conectors.

Best plugs to use?

Should they be tourqed? And to what lbs?

Thanks to all, G-Man San Diego

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey Guys,

Time to switch out the spark plugs on my 02'. Never been under the plastic cover on the head.

Best plugs to use?

the spyder doesnt use spark plug wires. it uses the coil pack. its VERY simple. just unplug the harness, remove the little 10mm screw and the whole thing comes out

i used the NGK iridium because thats what the car came with. (afaik) you cant gap iridiums. just go into autozone and ask for the plugs for your a spyder. they should end with an -11. some guys around here recommend the copper ones, because they perform better, yet, need to be changed more often. its up to you

yes the spark plugs need to be torqued. to 18 ft lbs. but before you torque them, you need to turn them counter clockwise, until you feel them 'seat' its just a very small click. then they can be torqued to 18 ft lb

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Changing the spark plugs is easier if you remove the X-Brace over the engine.
The X-Brace nuts should be torqued to 55 ft-lb.
actually it's easier to change them with a universal swivel at the end of your extension on the plug socket.

i did this in Chattanooga on the the way to meet you at Fontana

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,

Best plugs to use?

Changing the spark plugs is easier if you remove the X-Brace over the engine.
The X-Brace nuts should be torqued to 55 ft-lb.
Thanks OldMan, I've had X brace off in the past for the air filter. Never thought to have it correctly torqued when I replaced it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the spyder doesnt use spark plug wires. it uses the coil pack. its VERY simple. just unplug the harness, remove the little 10mm screw and the whole thing comes out

i used the NGK iridium because thats what the car came with. (afaik) you cant gap iridiums. just go into autozone and ask for the plugs for your a spyder. they should end with an -11. some guys around here recommend the copper ones, because they perform better, yet, need to be changed more often. its up to you

yes the spark plugs need to be torqued. to 18 ft lbs. but before you torque them, you need to turn them counter clockwise, until you feel them 'seat' its just a very small click. then they can be torqued to 18 ft lb
Thanks Much,
I'll stick with the NGK Iridiums.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Okay guys never worked on a car so this is probably a stupid question.... When u guys say to "torque" somethig what exactly do you mean? And how do u chek how much you torqued it to?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
By "u", I assume you mean "you".

Torquing a fastner means thightening it to a specified degree.
We use a torque wrench to do it.
Torque wrenches are available at many tool stores.
I got mine at Sears.
C'mon, OM, this IS 2012...:icon_wink::icon_wink:

OP, IF you're not familiar with doing this kind of work, you'd be smart to have a friend, who KNOWS how to do these things, show you(ask T-bone). The info OM gave you is spot on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts