MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK another speaker question. After searching & reading post on upgrading existing audio system I have a few questions. I will not be adding any speakers behind the seats, I need the storage. So I will only be using the existing mounted locations. Most post on speakers seem to like "Polk Audio"

HU is going to be a "Pioneer FH-P8000BT"

I am looking at the "Polk Audio DXi650" & the "Polk Audio DB651s" ,any advantage one has over the other?

I don't mind replacing all 4 of the speakers, so a component option "Polk Audio db6501" is still in consideration. Is this the worth the $25 price difference?

If other option exist. please inform me. Thanks

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Although I agree with Oldman, I will say that after looking at your choices I don't see much fault in them and here is why.

I think Pioneer makes a decent deck for the money. I particularly don't like Polkaudio speakers because I could do so much better for the money but it seems that the choices you have selected are properly matched with the deck in that the sensitivity of the speakers are very high to perform on deck power. I also like the fact that the speakers are co-axles and not components which will work better in your application. To make components work requires a lot of tuning otherwise it will sound worse then a cheap pair of co-axles.

Out of the two I would choose DXi650 because it is certified for marine use and will stand up to the tough environment of a convertible.

So I would say overall it is a matched system and I think it will sound nice for the money.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I have the DXi650 speakers and paid $79 for the pair (after BB dropped the price after I paid $99 for them). They are much better than the OEM speakers which in my car were starting to distort pretty easily. I also agree that on the highway with the top down, the stereo more than likely won't be heard well, but if you're going slower, say 50 mph or so, it's nice to have a decent system. As far as getting a component speaker system, I don't think it's really needed. In fact, I left my factory tweeters connected and just added the coaxials. It sounds great (HU was upgraded to the Pioneer DEH-P8400BH).

I have a DIY posted here involving gutting the factory speakers and installing new ones vs. using plastic rings with the speakers and drilling into your door:

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?50931-New-Door-Speakers&highlight=

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
I just put in a Pioneer DEH8400BT and so far its great. Definitely I can hear the difference between that and the T1809 I was using. With a good pair of components I think I'll be even happier. The 8400BT has BT and HD radio. WIth the HD radio it just sounds crisp. I was in the camp of keep the OEM or one of the Scion units. Not anymore. Go for it! The 8400 also has various color choices to match the OEM dash. You can also use the stock radio brackets.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I put in Infinity Reference components with the Infinity Reference power amp and an 8" sub in the storage area. I had to build my own box to make it fit, though. I did it in stages with the head unit and component speakers first, then the power amp, then the sub. I was looking at the Polk db's but got a better deal on the infinitys.

I found that only changing the head unit and main speakers only made a marginal difference and that the was not really enough power there to drive the speakers. At low volumes, I could hear a noticably difference, but once the top was down and I was up to speed, the system was very lacking... just like the stock system.

The bottom line is, if you are not willing to eat into some of your space with amps and subs and such, then it is probably not worth changing the speakers. Change the head unit to get whatever functionality you need and leave the speakers alone.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I put in Infinity Reference components with the Infinity Reference power amp and an 8" sub in the storage area. I had to build my own box to make it fit, though. I did it in stages with the head unit and component speakers first, then the power amp, then the sub. I was looking at the Polk db's but got a better deal on the infinitys.

I found that only changing the head unit and main speakers only made a marginal difference and that the was not really enough power there to drive the speakers. At low volumes, I could hear a noticably difference, but once the top was down and I was up to speed, the system was very lacking... just like the stock system.

The bottom line is, if you are not willing to eat into some of your space with amps and subs and such, then it is probably not worth changing the speakers. Change the head unit to get whatever functionality you need and leave the speakers alone.
What you are saying is absolutely true however you can overcome the problems you encountered with tuning and the right choice of amps. My whole system weights far less then most peoples and at the same time is louder in terms of clarity and fullness with the top down at any speed. The amp has a very small foot print yet delivers an enormous amount of clean power.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I changed my HU and went with Polk Dxi650 speakers. Did the tweeters too. Definitely a huge improvement over stock. Now you can hear the radio on the highway with the top down, and it's good enough that I can put earplugs in to block the sound of wind and pump up the volume to hear just the music and it still sounds better than stock speakers with the car parked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.