MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about ordering some Speed Bleeders. I went on their website but there is no part number for the 03-05 rear calipers (they have a part number for 00-02 model year). Is the thread size for the bleeder nipple different for 03+? What is the correct thread size?

For those who have speed bleeders, what brand do you recommend?

FYI... I'm not changing the brake lines. I just want to flush the brake fluid.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
the threadpitch should be the same for all years (all toyotas, for that matter).

you don't need speed bleeders to do a brake line flush, fyi. just a few feet of clear tubing and a magnet or something you can loop the line over. as long as the line is above your master cyl reservoir, you should be able to open your bleeder up (with the tube installed) and pump the pedal until you see new fluid coming out of the tube. in fact, this is a 1 person procedure. do the furthest line first, then next then next then closest.

And where does the fluid coming out of the tube go? And what about refilling the master cylinder as you go along. What about repeating the bleeding at each caliper until the fluid runs clear without air bubbles before moving to the next caliper. You simplified the process to a point of being incorrect.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
You simplified the process to a point of being incorrect.
And dual-diagonal circuits. Any procedure for sequencing from the furthest brake caliper to the closest is decades out-of-date.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Not to mention brake fluid is one of the most effective ways to accidentally strip paint from surfaces.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Not to mention brake fluid is one of the most effective ways to accidentally strip paint from surfaces.
I've seen this first hand on my TRD bar. Did take a few hours atleast cause by the next day the paint was all wrinkled.

I need some damn speed bleeders. But i hear they leak?

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I've seen this first hand on my TRD bar. Did take a few hours atleast cause by the next day the paint was all wrinkled.

I need some damn speed bleeders. But i hear they leak?
Not a chance of any leaking. once they are seated into the caliper there is no ware fluid is ever coming out. If the leaked it would be a safety disaster and liability.

How do I know because I broke one helping MISOJDM install one of his front caliper and the ball valve was broken clear off and the remnant was peaking out with no fluid coming out.
After looking at the the mechanism the eyelet on the speed bleeder or any other regular bleeder, it is closed off by the walls when they bottom out so it is impossible for them to leak.

Having the check valve not passing fluid is a possibility but I doubt it. The only thing that would ever leak with speed bleeders or regular bleeders is though the threads when you have them opened up for bleeding and you will need to periodically apply Teflon sealant.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts