MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
I was looking for a braided clutch line and came across this...has anyone ever used it or have any feed back from it?? does it actually work??

http://speed-source.net/products/mr2_fan_panel.htm
I haven't tried this but I have been thinking about to add this mod to my spyder since the engine ba seems to get quite hot!

so if this works it seem to be a good mod to keep the engine bay temps down,
if you buy this please let me know! :)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ that's what it says it does...sucks the hot air out of the eng bay, price is about right for something like this...but I wanted to see if anyone has had previous experience with it before pulling the trigger.

If it works I think it would be a plus to have some of that hot air taken out ...that eng bay get hot quick

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sent them an email regarding any clearance issues with factory or aftermarket strut bars...I have the TRD so good point made there. :cool:
def a good thing to know ahead of time whether it will clear or not

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
That's a stupid mod. It amazes me on the level some of you scientist think.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I take it by your comment that you have tried this and found it to be a stupid mod? some of us scientist would like to know how you came to that conclusion? this is why the question was asked in the first place...to find out if this is a worth while investment/mod. your opinion matters just as much as the rest...but just to say it is a stupid mod without any justification or first hand experience is stupid all on its own.

·
Registered
745 Posts
so I take it by your comment that you have tried this and found it to be a stupid mod? some of us scientist would like to know how you came to that conclusion? this is why the question was asked in the first place...to find out if this is a worth while investment/mod. your opinion matters just as much as the rest...but just to say it is a stupid mod without any justification or first hand experience is stupid all on its own.
Yeahh fight back! :lol:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Not a completely bad idea if you experience high engine bay temps, or you could mount your oil cooler to it :lol:

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, no one has definitively determined the nature of the air flow through the vents.

Unquestionably, with the car at rest air exits the vents.
At speed, the engine lid has air flowing down on it. Whether the air enters the vents has not been determined. Air could flow out of the vents at some speeds while entering the vents at other speeds. It could even enter some of the vents while exiting from others. No one seems to know.

A fan could be beneficial if it aided air flow. Until the airflow patterns are established, installing a fan is sheer guesswork, as are the many opinions that are likely to follow.

In any case, if ventilation were a real problem, Toyota would have addressed it.
You don't need an auxillary fan.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If air is passing over the vents during the car moving wouldn't that create a low pressure scenario and a vacuum and pull air out of the engine bay?

The fan could be useful for turbo cars or cars with unshielded headers stuck in stop and go traffic. High heat situations that Toyota would have not taken into consideration?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If air is passing over the vents during the car moving wouldn't that create a low pressure scenario and a vacuum and pull air out of the engine bay?

The fan could be useful for turbo cars or cars with unshielded headers stuck in stop and go traffic. High heat situations that Toyota would have not taken into consideration?
This has all been discussed before. As I said, no definitive conclusions were reached.

·
Registered
8,231 Posts
I tried to buy those lid fans over a year ago and got an e-mail saying they are discontinued and are no longer available for sale.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i have also been thinking about getting the varis style engine vents with a fan its just a thought is that a terrible idea?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sweet I don't need to fab up one now. I'll be first to say the engine bay on these cars get stupid hot. It has been bugging me how these cars have zero fans in the engine bay. Now time to find a engine temp sensor from a MK2 turbo, and the wiring. I already have the engine fan computer. Do something do it right.

·
Registered
22,970 Posts
Some of you people are dumb as rocks.

This is why engine fans are a bad idea;

1. The car is water cooled.

2. At idle even in the hottest of the summer heat the coolant temps are well under control and well within range. Oil temps are not affected and in-fact come down on their own at idle.

3. I will concede that you do need some air flow when traveling and that is only to cool down the air intake temps, battery and the alternator but that is only required while moving and it's only beneficial if the direction of air is coming from the rear side vents.

4. When traveling at speed, the fan becomes an obstruction, and it is taxiing on the electrical system especially if you use a lightweight battery. What this does is sag the electrical system and you will get less power. This is why when you change out your failing alternator or battery you will restore power.

5. You are adding weight to the worst place possible, the rear end of the car right behind the center of mass and up high.

6. There is an obvious reason why the engine bay temps are perceived to be hot and that this because unlike other cars the header and all of the exhaust components are in the most rearward position. On a front engine car like a Celica the header is against the firewall where you will not feel any of the heat.
All that fan is going to do is try to push out heat from the header into ambient air. Think about this, the temperature of the header is thousands of degrees and there is no way you will even put a dent on any temp reduction because it's like trying to blow air over a three alarm fire.
Now if you believe there is some reduction of temps in that area then you lose again because you will be reducing the scavenging effect of the header.

There is some benefit to lower engine bay temps like preserving your electrical components and wires as they can deteriorate because of the heat however there are better ways to go about addressing this.

I am not against fans as I think they would be beneficial to oil coolers and intercoolers but only if you require them.

The bottom line is this;

I do not have to prove that a fan is not beneficial.
The burden is to prove that there is an original problem that warrants a fan.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts