MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1105_toyota_prius_sports_coupe_in_pipeline/

Well, I have to admit it isn't nearly as ugly as the current Prius. It looks a bit like a redesigned Celica though.

"This is just the beginning. Come 2015, our source tells us the company will officially roll out its long-rumored "Prius brand," from which we can expect all future Toyota hybrid models, as well as a hydrogen-powered sedan that reportedly is in development. And the flagship for the new brand will be the Sports Coupe."

At least we know the FR-S isn't the only sports coupe they were considering.
Haven't seen any updates since that article was written however.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You're right it does look a lot like the last gen Celica. I was surprised at how reliable the Prius has been, it's rated right near the top for long term reliability.

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
I like it! Looks pretty good. I saw a different Prius at the Walmart yesterday and I should have snapped a pic. Shorter version hatchback? Kind of like a Mazda 3.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I'm sure there will be a "sporty" version of the prius. Toyota did say they'll bring various versions of prii, so I'm sure one of them will be "sporty". What I doubt is that it will look like that. And I hope I'm right, because that's just ghastly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
"What you see here is one artist's impression"

Well there's your answer. Some two-bit Photoshop jockey grafted the BRZ grille onto a wireframe of an old Celica, slapped on some badly-aimed Accord headlights and projectors, and called it a day. It'll look nothing like that image.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I like it! Looks pretty good. I saw a different Prius at the Walmart yesterday and I should have snapped a pic. Shorter version hatchback? Kind of like a Mazda 3.
That was the new "Prius C"

·
Banned
415 Posts
That was the new "Prius C"
The new prius c is fantastic as it already is. First off, it's cheap. Cheapest hybrid you can get. And it's actually lighter than the "crx inspired" veloster and "performance oriented" frs/brz, despite being larger and having heavy batteries. I'm actually surprised they pulled that off. But everything else such as steering, chassis, and suspension... I can't say it was meant for anything remotely close to sport.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The new prius c is fantastic as it already is. First off, it's cheap. Cheapest hybrid you can get. And it's actually lighter than the "crx inspired" veloster and "performance oriented" frs/brz, despite being larger and having heavy batteries. I'm actually surprised they pulled that off. But everything else such as steering, chassis, and suspension... I can't say it was meant for anything remotely close to sport.
I was commenting on what TRIZ saw at Wall Mart and not about the picture for the thread and yes the Prius C is fantastic for what it is. It however is not anything close to being sporty, I test drove one.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I was commenting on what TRIZ saw at Wall Mart and not about the picture for the thread and yes the Prius C is fantastic for what it is. It however is not anything close to being sporty, I test drove one.
On top of that the premium that you're paying to get one of those compared to something without the hybrid eats into the $$ savings in gas for many many years.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few years ago Ford admitted that the money saved in fuel by purchasing the hybrid Escape over the non-hybrid would only be realized after owner the vehicle for seven years. That was directly related to the increase in vehicle purchase price.
I wonder how long you would need to own the Toyota before you actually saw any savings?

·
Registered
782 Posts
I did a rough calculation a while back and it was between 150 000 to 200 000km (93 205 miles to 124274 miles) that you would start to break even for the hybrid price difference between hybrid and non-hybrid. This can be calculated many ways by different people, depends too what kind of driving you expect to be doing. In my opinion it's not really worth it right now but could be at one point depending on gas prices and the hybrid prices coming down eventually.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I own a prius...it has 120k mi only thing it has asked from me is oil and tires.. no even the brake pads.. $25 dollars will get me what $55 dollars will get on my scion xb which hasn't been half as reliable. I avg 46-47mpg in city without trying to be conservative at all. awesome car. My best friend gos a prius c. he is getting 58-59mpg.. it was cheap. I can't think of a better buy for a daily in that price range

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.