MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent an 30mins searching and I didn't find anything relevant. :confused:

I'd like to spray paint my rear bumper inserts, then the side inserts, and eventually the center of my rear bumper black. Has anyone been successful using the store bought spray paint cans?

I used glossy black vinyl to give me an idea, and I think it contrasts pretty good with yellow. VAG and greenstreak have it done too, so my car should be as fast as theirs once the paint dries.

I'm thinking the rear inserts won't get rock chips, nor would the rear bumper.
Is it possible to have the spray paint: 1) last a long time 2) not fade 3) stay glossy?

Thanks.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Mines was sprayed from a can, been there for a couple of years now..

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
VAG and greenstreak have it done too, so my car should be as fast as theirs once the paint dries.
1) last a long time 2) not fade 3) stay glossy?

Thanks.
:lol:LOL, many of us have done this. I eventually went for the 03+ rear inserts. However, unless you're highly modded 2zz, you definitely won't be as fast as VAG, GS or me.:lol:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Use Krylon Fusion plastic paint on mine about two years ago and it's still black.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol:LOL, many of us have done this. I eventually went for the 03+ rear inserts. However, unless you're highly modded 2zz, you definitely won't be as fast as VAG, GS or me.:lol:
You are mistaken sir. Strips of black on any car add incredible amounts of horsepower. Also, I weigh 45 pounds.

Hey DOuFINKimSEXY - what are you showing me in the pic? You painted the bumper yellow?

eyefone - did you use any clear coat or gloss?

Did you guys use any extra chemicals besides paint and primer? Any special steps (other than regular spray paint techniques)?

I have 3 days of free time to do a good job and my car is already in pieces so I would love to get this and some other diy's done. :lol:

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Use Krylon Fusion plastic paint on mine about two years ago and it's still black.
I second this. I painted my side vents and wiper cowl with the satin black Krylon Fusion. I scuffed the pieces with a grey scotchbrite pad that you use for bodywork. You can pick these up at about any autoparts store. After that, I blew them off, and wiped them down with alcohol to remove all the dust. Spray on the Fusion in light coats and you'll be fine. Mine have been painted for over a year and still look good.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I used SEM satin black on my front and rear bumpers as well as the sidevents and they still look great. Just the front bumper is a bit chipped cause I only did 2 coats. Prep with a gray 3M pad, wipe down with mineral spirits, one light "dry" coat followed by several medium "wet" coats. If it were me I would clear since your doing a gloss finish.

·
Registered
314 Posts
eyefone - did you use any clear coat or gloss?

Did you guys use any extra chemicals besides paint and primer? Any special steps (other than regular spray paint techniques)?

I have 3 days of free time to do a good job and my car is already in pieces so I would love to get this and some other diy's done. :lol:

Thanks for your help
Nothing special. Just took all the plastics off from the car, washed em well, dried them then painted. No base or clear coat. Just a few light coats.

Painting the front bumper inserts is a lil different though. Some pieces are actually part of the bumper. Best way is to just mask the areas you don't want painted the go at it.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back from the hardware store and bought 1 can of Rustoleum plastic paint, and I'm going to try this without primer/sanding.

Does the clearcoat need to be sprayed during the drying process?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I didn't use clear coat so I wouldn't know.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got the inserts done and I'm about the spray the bumper. I must say, this was easier than I thought. Plastic spray paint has come a long way. I used 2 light and 2 medium coats.

The front inserts are weak, and were in bad shape. If I could do it again, I would sand them first.

Sides and rears came out great.

I used some glaze on the circular rear inserts to test. You can see the difference.

Front Bumper prepped:

-

I'm still unsure if I actually want to paint the rear center of my bumper. I have a feeling it will look like crap over a large area.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I actually never painted mine.
I did paint the headlight housings black (not the lenses)

You can see the effect hear. You just remove the reflectors,and bulbs and lens. Then just spray the housings black, put everything back together.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did you really paint these in your living room?
If so, well done!

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you really paint these in your living room?
If so, well done!
:lol: yea, right over the lazboy sofas.

I predict the front grill will be trashed in a month or so. The plastic is almost brittle.
I don't see the rears getting chipped.
The side inserts are what worry me the most. One single paint chip will make it look cheap.

I'll take some aftershots once it settles.

Question:

How well does "plastic spraypaint" adhere to polyurethane (bumper)?

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
You painted the insides of the rears?
Yep. The lens just pops out, it ends up making the clear section a bit darker, like a factory smoked lens on an 05 GTI. Since this method doesn't change the lens light output isn't reduced by much if at all. The reflectors still reflect red on the corners when light hits it from the outside, it just isn't as super red. I thought it clashed with the yellow too much back when the car was a bit more stock.

As you can see in this picture taken with a flash the lights still reflect red even when they're off so no worries if you park on the street.

And another with the brake lights on while it was getting aligned.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:biggthumpup: that looks nice and subtle. They don't look as large.

I'm going to make some smoked vinyl overlays and see what it looks like. If it stinks I'll just spray it.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.