MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Will I need spring compressors for my bc coilover install? Is there any way around going out and renting some?
All the coilovers that I have seen already come pre-assembled so you don't need to use a spring compressor, the old springs and struts come off as a unit. Good Luck

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot guys. My friend with a miata took him like 5 hours to take off the stock strut assembly. He's the one helping me with the install. He told me I needed a spring compressor to take out the stock suspension.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. My friend with a miata took him like 5 hours to take off the stock strut assembly. He's the one helping me with the install. He told me I needed a spring compressor to take out the stock suspension.
It's a very easy install if you are replacing with Coil overs. Just remove the stock strut as a unit and set it aside. If he insists on using spring compressors don't let him touch your car.

BTW you do not need anyone's help and you should be able to do this all by your self.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's a very easy install if you are replacing with Coil overs. Just remove the stock strut as a unit and set it aside. If he insists on using spring compressors don't let him touch your car.

BTW you do not need anyone's help and you should be able to do this all by your self.
I've never changed out suspension parts before that's why I'm trying to get all the resources I can get to do it right the first time. Question, should ride height be even at all 4 corners? What's the best way to measure ride height?

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
The miata is different. For a miata you can use a spring compressor on the rear to take the springs out.

·
Registered
23,138 Posts
I've never changed out suspension parts before that's why I'm trying to get all the resources I can get to do it right the first time. Question, should ride height be even at all 4 corners? What's the best way to measure ride height?
The first time I did mine I never changed suspension parts either. What I did was look online for pictures or write ups and it was as simple as that. If you know how to turn a wrench or play with legos you can do this.

Yes the right height should be even on all four corners. What I would do is measure all of the struts at the body by using a ruler and then use the interlocking turn nuts to set them evenly. After the struts are installed then you can turn the nuts to how low you want it.

Never set the car too low otherwise you will have bad handling effects. I would say your maximum drop should be 2" all around.

After the installation you will need to take the car for an alignment.

I would do a search on this site, the web and do your homework. Without doing your homework you will not know what you are after with coil overs.

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
Miatas aren't one unit coilovers?
The rear of the miata has a lot of droop in the stock suspension. When you unbolt the stock rear the suspension extends a lot and it's hard to pull the assembly out from the wishbones. So basically you should only need a spring compressor to remove the stock suspension on a new miata.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Start here, Remove the nuts from the bolts coming through the strut tower, leave one finger tight, remove the brakeline if it is attached to the strut, remove the nut for the sway bar endlink, take the two large bolts at the bottom of the strut, hold it up with one hand, reach up to the strut top an finger off the last nut (that's what she said) and pull the strut assymbly out

Fallow reverse for install

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.