MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comparing cars since the fr-s debut. What is the weight to power ratio between the mr-s and the fr-s and whats the downfall between these cars. And who will champion if a run was ever to occur on a course???

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Comparing cars since the fr-s debut. What is the weight to power ratio between the mr-s and the fr-s and whats the downfall between these cars. And who will champion if a run was ever to occur on a course???
1) Google.

2) Look at the various other FR-S/BRZ/GT-86 threads on this site.

3)

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
A stock FRS has the power the weight ratio of an NC Miata so they are not fast. On a track the NC miata wasn't really much faster than a spyder because of it's heavier weight.

A 2zz spyder or s2000 will spank a unmodified FRS. However I think the FRS will have massive aftermarket support. There will be many super modified FRS cars.

·
Registered
782 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know

Yes ive seen the track battle, also if anybody knows photoshop i want to see the fr-s and mr-s aligned to see the size of these two cars. Like there was a picture comparing the miata with a mustang and the fr-s aligned.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,861 Posts
The Subaru dealer called me and said that there will be a BRZ there next Thursday. I will try to park my Spyder beside it and get a picture or two.

I have already decided I am staying with the Spyder and went and had a 2ZZ conversion done last week.

·
Banned
415 Posts
Still don't understand why anyone in this forum would switch to FRS by paying more "money" when in both acceleration and corner speed, spyder is better than FRS minus the useless backseat. Moreover, with that "money" you can probably get 2zz 6mt by LR, suspension swap, bracings, and spare change to do some asthetic mods. Total no brainer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Still don't understand why anyone in this forum would switch to FRS by paying more "money" when in both acceleration and corner speed, spyder is better than FRS minus the useless backseat. Moreover, with that "money" you can probably get 2zz 6mt by LR, suspension swap, bracings, and spare change to do some asthetic mods. Total no brainer.
- it has a real trunk
- it can carry a spare set of wheels/tires without the need of a trailer or storage rack
- more forgiving handling, traction control
- more airbags
- warranty
- new car smell...

The Spyder certainly has its appeal too, but I can see why someone would want to trade up to something that's safer and more practical.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Here's my 2 cents: I love the Toyobaru, but for 25K+options, I'd pick up a used Elise in a heartbeat.

Someone on the Lotus Talk forums said it quite succinctly when comparing the Spyder to an Elise and I think it applies to the Toyobaru too: don't underestimate the value of owning your car (paraphrasing, but you get the idea)!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Here's my 2 cents: I love the Toyobaru, but for 25K+options, I'd pick up a used Elise in a heartbeat.

Someone on the Lotus Talk forums said it quite succinctly when comparing the Spyder to an Elise and I think it applies to the Toyobaru too: don't underestimate the value of owning your car (paraphrasing, but you get the idea)!
Amen.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Actually me and the wife are looking for a daily driver and the FRS might be for us, we will be keeping the spyder as a seasonal toy (not winter driven). Have an older Matrix as a daily now and test drove a couple of cars but nothing stands out. Hoping we like the FRS and we'd be willing to wait if the first ones are already sold

·
Banned
415 Posts
- it has a real trunk
- it can carry a spare set of wheels/tires without the need of a trailer or storage rack
- more forgiving handling, traction control
- more airbags
- warranty
- new car smell...

The Spyder certainly has its appeal too, but I can see why someone would want to trade up to something that's safer and more practical.
All absolutely right. I guess it's just that personally, those things (forgiving handling, trunk, airbags, warraty, new car smell) don't really deserve my money.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
You're a pussy.
Part of the thrill of a sportscar is the inherent risk.
You're a pussy; or at least a wimp.
c'mon, don't hold back tell us how you really feel.

i do agree with your analysis

however, i'm currently working on the photonic cannon mod so that i might eliminate Hummers from my field of view.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I can see going from a spyder to a Lotus, any Lotus. Otherwise it seems like downgrading IMHO. Light, agile and quick gives the feeling to driving a spyder.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I took a look at some dealer info for the chassis to compare the two cars.

The FRS/Toybaru whatever you call it will have a much stiffer body then the Spyder. Case in point the extensive use of High Strength structural steel is used in many more places. Traditionally High Strength steel is only used on the frame rails and fire walls. The Scion, uses it at a much higher ratio throughout the car even in the floor. Side rails are also about 1/2-1 inch wider then the spyder. The spyder uses almost the same ratio as the new scion (which explains how well our cars handle), the area we lack is in the floor boards.

Now would I want one I'll stay on the fence for quite a long time. Judging the way they will roll out this car with the likely "upgrades" year by year I'd wait for the mid cycle refresh. Considering how they are going to easily hit their global 100k unit first year build goal. I see these things being around for a good bit. This car might bring with it many good things. I actually hope it sells well if it will green light the production of more fun cars, as it seems the auto industry lost it's fun factor as of late.

Till then I'll just keep a track whore spyder, and a posh bmw for daily.

·
Registered
64 Posts
All absolutely right. I guess it's just that personally, those things (forgiving handling, trunk, airbags, warraty, new car smell) don't really deserve my money.
I prefer the Spyder as well. I was just listing reasons why someone might want one instead of (or in addition to) a Spyder.

1 - 20 of 475 Posts