MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the VIS Techno R kit for the Spyder? I’ve heard and read everywhere that the extreme dimension duraflex ones are junk and require a good amount of work to get them to fit OEM; but I haven’t seen anything about the VIS kit.

I also spoke with a rep from mitchsautoparts and they’re going to replicate their own kit from urethane. Did not know polyurethane was a material used for kits besides fiberglass. Any cons for either material?

·
Registered
105 Posts
From what I've heard, VIS is only marginally better than Duraflex. Schwifty also offers the same lip kit, and from what I've heard it is better quality and fits better than VIS or Duraflex, but still fiberglass. I don't know if anyone here has one of the Schwifty kits.

MAP making a urethane kit definitely has my interest. Did they give any idea of an ETA? I think the original TRD parts were urethane, and they are less prone to cracking from rocks and minor dings compared to the fiberglass replicas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I've heard, VIS is only marginally better than Duraflex. Schwifty also offers the same lip kit, and from what I've heard it is better quality and fits better than VIS or Duraflex, but still fiberglass. I don't know if anyone here has one of the Schwifty kits.

MAP making a urethane kit definitely has my interest. Did they give any idea of an ETA? I think the original TRD parts were urethane, and they are less prone to cracking from rocks and minor dings compared to the fiberglass replicas.
Wasn’t given an exact date, just asked if I was willing to wait about a year

·
Registered
2001 syder
113 Posts

The oem trd kits are made from abs plastic. Very flexible and durable. I am waiting on a front lip from schfwity. Apparently he and his partner put alot of time into the finishing before shipping so that basically all you need to do is paint. I sourced the rear and sides from Japan but had a hard time justifying 800 dollars for the front lip so passed on that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How much prep work needed to be done (sanding, priming, painting) ? Or were you able to attach it out of the box? I know it is expensive but i it should be better than duraflex.
I personally didn’t do any prep work. I probably should have sanded just a bit around these corners circled in red to help it sit a bit better
Sunglasses Bumper Eyewear Font Automotive lighting

but I just carefully forced it in place without cracking the resin. The holes on the bottom didn't align very well for me (middle one was perfect, then the alignment got worse the further away from the center the holes got) but, I managed to secure it regardless. It definitely will be a lot better than the pieces from duraflex or vis.

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
456 Posts
I have the carbon lip also. Put a clear bra on it. I probably should've put double sided tape along the top edge, but didn't think about that. Like Kundalicious, the top corners are the only real problem fitment wise although it's not like they wouldn't get damaged anyway if say I ran it into a curb. The extra part is just a spoiler saver so it's not scraping the cf if I'm too low and scrape the underside. I drilled 2 holes on each side then nut and bolted them so pretty much I'm damaging the whole bumper and lip together if anything.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
133 Posts
I personally didn’t do any prep work. I probably should have sanded just a bit around these corners circled in red to help it sit a bit better
View attachment 85809

but I just carefully forced it in place without cracking the resin. The holes on the bottom didn't align very well for me (middle one was perfect, then the alignment got worse the further away from the center the holes got) but, I managed to secure it regardless. It definitely will be a lot better than the pieces from duraflex or vis.

View attachment 85810
HAVING RACED MY MARK1 FOR 28 YEARS. I WOULD ADVISE PUTTING 1'' X 1" X 1/4" STEEL RUB PIECES ON THE BOTTOM TO ABSORB THE ABRASION BY THE RACING SURFACES. THEY WORK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts