MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dillema and I need some feedback from folks that may be considering a 2ZZ swap in the future.

As you know I have been the only source for the LR style heavy duty stainless steel swap header for a while. I am down to only one left in inventory and I went to order another batch and my supplier tried to double my cost. I am looking at replicating it locally for closer to original cost, but here is my question for y'all:

Would you rather that I do header and midpipe as a single unit, or keep on as I have been? Providing both peices as a set would allow me to appropriately locate the upstream O2 sensor bung downstream of the second V merge and all that good stuff, as well as eliminating the stock flange and replacing it with a nice V-band or two for superior alignment and flow.

Either way the price is going to go up a bit.

Curious what y'all think and would like as a community.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prefer a direct, bolt-on, replacement for the stock manifold.
That would allow the most flexibility in choosing a midpipe and catback muffler.
So in other words stay the course. Fair enough - and we are currently pricing out exactly that option.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think design it as a unit like you mentioned for a few reasons. First PPE does this and they are the best header combo currently but very overpriced for the swap and second is that if somebody just wants a cheap stock repalcement they'll probably choose Che anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
I think design it as a unit like you mentioned for a few reasons. First PPE does this and they are the best header combo currently but very overpriced for the swap and second is that if somebody just wants a cheap stock repalcement they'll probably choose Che anyway.
This. I would buy a PPE system over a 4-2-1 style, but that is just my preference.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Something that has the same downpipe flange as the stock Spyder. I was going to have a shop custom make me a 2zz equal length header that goes 4 to 2 but if you are going to make one I'll wait.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,861 Posts
I may be looking to replace the Che swap header that is currently on my 2ZZ Spyder fairly soon. It is important to me that I can keep using the stock cat and the TRD exhaust that is on the car. I would be happy with a 4 into 2 that would bolt right up but with less restriction than the Che which have very small tubing at the lower flange.

·
Registered
23,102 Posts
The one offered by MonkeyWrench Racing looks like an excellent choice.
Well actually the MWR one is a bit odd in that it has provisions for two 02 sensors where as the 2zz requires one after the header. This odd arrangement will only take a reading from one bank.
I don't know MWR's rational but given their history it doesn't make much sense.

If Griffin can produce the LR style that would be the way to go as it's all quality. I have the first version of this header and it has held up great and from what I hear the 2nd version is even better with thicker tubes.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Just a thought, but with Greenstreak having left JNZ and them now out of the business of stainless downpipes (which were top-notch quality), I'd vote for you doing both (separately). And to offer the dp either with or without a high-performance cat like JNZ had.
And you might want to touch base with Zero Exhaust in the UK. A couple of years ago he expressed some interest in adding a 2ZZ swap header to the beautiful 1ZZ header he has, and I loaned him my LR header to (ostensibly) fab up a jig. At the time Greenstreak/JNZ had expressed some interest in being the North American distributor if that project went ahead. But apparently for some reason it fizzled. It wouldn't hurt to inquire. And from appearances, first-class quality.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Erik Still makes the downpipes. I picked mine up from him a few months back. He's just no longer with JNZ. JNZ also will make the downpipe still and they put it back on their site after I inquired with them but decided to go with Erik.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
... you might want to touch base with Zero Exhaust in the UK. A couple of years ago he expressed some interest in adding a 2ZZ swap header to the beautiful 1ZZ header he has, and I loaned him my LR header to (ostensibly) fab up a jig.
The Zero_Exhaust headers are made one-at-a-time, to order. If he still has the data from the LR header, he should be able to build exactly what you need. You'll have to be patient though: he won't be hurried, and he has other business besides yours.

It wouldn't hurt to inquire. And from appearances, first-class quality.
I had some difficulty with the Zero_Exhaust eMail address; possibly due to my computer's security settings. I can give you an alternate eMail address if you need it. PM me.

From experience, I can attest that the Zero_Exhaust header is a work of art. Absolutely wonderful materials & workmanship. Perfect fitment. I don't recommend it to everyone because the cost (~$700) is high. Then again, "you get what you pay for".

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I emailed Kevin several times from the site contact and always got a reply late afternoon Eastern Daylight Savings Time. My header is being made if he received the plate. Shipping is about $80, header at the time about $640 converted. Now I am just sitting and waiting for Santa's present!

I am going to get a Dyno run this afternoon to establish a baseline.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I definetly think we need a 2.5 midpipe option. Not a whole lot out there that Im aware of. I had to settle for the 2.25.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I prefer a high flow cat that will compliment the LR DDP swap header.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts