MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a standalone ECU for my 2ZZ Spyder. Which ECU will work best on other cars when I decide to move on to the next car? Budget is 1000-1500 usd.
I am a newbie to ecus and from what I can guess ECU masters, e manage and megasquirt can work on all cars?

I'm thinking of the standalone ecu as sort of an investment that I can continue to use when I decide to get a new project

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
As long as your next car is a four cylinder the Aem ems4 will work as well. Or you could get the AEM infinity instead.

the GReddy units are piggybacks and not full standalones

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as your next car is a four cylinder the Aem ems4 will work as well. Or you could get the AEM infinity instead.

the GReddy units are piggybacks and not full standalones
What if my next car is gonna be a 6 or 8 cylinder? What's the best ECU to get?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Recents cars stock ECU's are tunable.
Not really need of a standalone. Unless if you prefer old cars without electronics.

·
Registered
858 Posts
What is your goal with putting a standalone on your 2ZZ? It will take a pretty sharp tuner and quite a bit of dyno time to eke out an extra 10 or 15 horsepower over the stock ECU. If you intend on going to a huge cam plus high compression, or a turbo/supercharger than go for it. Also be aware that the instrument cluster is driven by the ECU through the BEAN protocol and the only standalone that will emulate it properly is the APEXi one, which isn't the greatest for features or adaptability. You could probably use that little brain box that the Kswap guys developed though, that would allow you to use whatever standalone you want and still have the stock cluster work properly. Personally I use ECUmaster Black on my other car (2JZGTE powered A60 Supra) and really like it, but my Spyder is still on a stock 2ZZ ECU even with stage 2 cams, it runs great. It is actually an Australian market ECU that has the same immoblizer functionality as our 1ZZ ECU so my immob still works!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts