MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spinoff from this tread to continue the discussion unrelated to the original post

Basically there are very few ecu's that speak BEAN

Apexi Power FC
Hydra
Link AltezzaLink (G4X) - new addition to the list as far as most the forum knows

Untested as far as we've gotten in the last thread but maybe someone out there can elaborate.

Fine. Whatever it's called the Link has no problem driving it. It just so happens it's driving it from one of the CAN drivers.
... Referring to the AltezzaLink only, essentially a G4X base unit with a CAN to BEAN controller hanging off the CAN2 pins, not being directly communicated over CAN.

I am looking into some capabilities from Haltech and ECUmaster that both have configurable CANbus datastreams, but neither one goes as far as the AltezzaLink toward a full plug-n-play solution.There are a few scattered forum posts behind paywalls by people involved in reverse engineering BEAN for Link, that are a useful source. Canbus decoding has been taking off like crazy with more tools and more people interested, I've been dabbling in it for a couple of years on the 2GR side, and managed to make some nice finds, one of which - U0101 delete - opened up an entire new line of ECU's for the 2gr.
Where are these posts?

The format is different so the typical CAN hardware will not even be able to do anything with BEAN streams no matter what. Marc reversed engineered the BEAN signals with a gauge cluster on a bench and a scope. His board takes standard CAN data and produces exactly what that car was used to seeing based on his finds reverse engineering. I bet that's the same thing LINK did, except link didn't have to deal with any other brands of hardware talking over that specific CAN bus. Marc is trying to make his board universal to work with all makes of ECUs and OBDII devices that might be tapping into that same stream. It's a major engineering challenge. As far as I see it, if he gets it dialed it will be the end all be all solution.

The AltezzaLink has some drawbacks and one would be the clumsy hardware layout with some extra pins on an aux connector. It also won't fit into the original 1zz ecu case.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Again, Panic Wire has had Link G4X running in the ZZW30 for a little over two years now I believe.
Linked to that in another thread. If you need more info on what it's based around I suggest you speak with Mark Panic, just email the site. AFAIK its based around a modified Altezza G4X. Here it is mounted in an OE-like housing in another ZZW30 I am building.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

This works and drives the gauges without issues. It has other datastreams from the CAN2 but I haven't messed with it much because there really isn't a point to it. The only weird thing about the system is the AC control. It has to "handshake" with the OE ECU first in order for the Link to be able to take over. Easy enough with a power cycle on the OE ECU and then hooking up the Link again. I don't really mess with it anymore because I deleted AC some time ago, but the other 3 cars we have running on this setup work fine.

I've been using the ECU for over 6 months now on my 2ZZ car.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
204 Posts
There are also solutions from all4swap in Russia for Toyota/Lexus with BEAN.
It does not mention the ZZW30 specifically, but it may be supported on request.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I've gone through the AltezzaLink and Altezza original pinouts versus ZZW30. I am counting 19 pins that have to be moved to get everything in the right place. I'll post the spreadsheet after I review it and clean it up. The only thing that will require some reconfiguration of the Link is that the Altezza has a primitive etcs just like the ZZW30 SMT with a APS and TPS both on the throttle body. The Link would have to be reconfigured to drive a IACV instead of controlling the throttle motor. Nothing to it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the Panic version of the G4X ecu which is based around the Altezza, which I linked earlier. Mark Panic would be better to talk to directly on it if you need more info.

Yes, it has communication on CAN2 of the unit and will show the streams which are pretty well modifyable, as you show in the screencap. Panic put a bit of time in this package as well. It's by far and away the best setup out there for ZZW30.

The only weird thing about the system is the AC control. It has to "handshake" with the OE ECU first in order for the Link to be able to take over. Easy enough with a power cycle on the OE ECU and then hooking up the Link again.
Sounds like it's not the best setup for a street car that has AC.

Also, to get this straight... every time you start the car from a completely off state, you have to run the factory ecu and then switch it out while the power is still on to the ac controller in the cluster? This sounds sketch.

The G4X Fury with a Frankenstein Motorworks body controller (once it's available) would be a better setup for the ZZW30 considering the Fury is probably better than Altezza because of the Fury's built in Lambda controller. Neither have built in EGT which some other ecu's offer. The best setup out there might be the case for you but for someone with a street car and no in depth knowledge on automotive electronics, the best setup still might be the PFC. It's a shame because the PFC really does suck.

·
Registered
147 Posts
No, it only has to happen once. If you disconnect the battery you have to do that process again. It's fine for a street car, and once again I'll say this is based AROUND the Altezza but it IS NOT the Altezza.

Street cars have been running this for a bit. Mark Panic has a ZZW30 with a 1ZZ and has been using this personally.

The process for someone to use this is no more or less complicated than the PFC. Install, take to tuner, tune, drive it. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
There are also solutions from all4swap in Russia for Toyota/Lexus with BEAN.
It does not mention the ZZW30 specifically, but it may be supported on request.
I've been in contact with Yury for a while. A couple of years ago I contracted with him for the world's first - and to this date, only - de-immobilized Camry 2GR ECU. This has been assiduously ignored by the 2GR community. Just as some people here hold the conviction that no stand-alone can talk MPX, 2GR enthusiasts hold to the conviction that Camry ECU cannot be de-immobilized.

For $70 this MPX bridge for Altezza is worth the price, even if it turns out to be a paperweight.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I've been in contact with Yury for a while. A couple of years ago I contracted with him for the world's first - and to this date, only - de-immobilized Camry 2GR ECU. This has been assiduously ignored by the 2GR community. Just as some people here hold the conviction that no stand-alone can talk MPX, 2GR enthusiasts hold to the conviction that Camry ECU cannot be de-immobilized.

For $70 this MPX bridge for Altezza is worth the price, even if it turns out to be a paperweight.
I've seen that one before but there is no info on it. It's hard to say what it actually does. I'd be more worried about it frying my stuff than it becoming a paperweight. A lot of parts become paperweights in this hobby.

Also I would love to expand the standalone list but CAN does not equal BEAN. That's just the way it is. So sure, some standalones can talk one or the other or both (in the case of the Altezza via CAN1 and CAN2->BEAN converter) but the hardware required is different.

No, it only has to happen once. If you disconnect the battery you have to do that process again.
That makes sense. It wasn't very clear what was going on there.

It's fine for a street car, and once again I'll say this is based AROUND the Altezza but it IS NOT the Altezza.
It is absolutely is an AltezzaLink . It pretty much says it on the website. A custom box with some decals doesn't change what the hardware is. Sure, it probably has a tune preloaded onto it by Panic to fire the engine right out of the gate. That could make sense for some people and is worth the price of admission alone. It sounds like they put together a great kit, even if Link did the legwork on the BEAN R&D.

For a DIYer, the proper setup is to de-pin the necessary stuff from the factory ECU plugs and put them where the AltezzaLink is looking for them. This eliminates the little crossover harness. An IAT harness and dedicated IAT isn't necessary at all. There is an IAT in the MAF sensor that could stay where it is and the MAF part just wouldn't be used. Run a vacuum line through the firewall just like the Panic setup does it. That's what I did on my 1zz and standalone back in the day. The trigger settings will have to change from the Altezza base program but Link provides those in the help document.

The idle control would have to be played with a bit.
Maybe the DBW stuff would have to be chopped out of the Altezza program.
Finding the Altezza enclosure might take some digging but I'm sure there is some ecu with that enclosure only worth $20 or something on ebay and that would be the ticket for that.

The savings there would pay for a wideband and EGT controller which is necessary gear for any series 2zz setup, street or track oriented.

Not bashing the Panic kit or your setup. It just is what it is, and from the sound of it is the best "add to cart" option for the MR2 as far as custom tuning goes.

·
Registered
MR-2 ZZW30 2001 RHD
204 Posts
I've seen that one before but there is no info on it. It's hard to say what it actually does. I'd be more worried about it frying my stuff than it becoming a paperweight. A lot of parts become paperweights in this hobby.
It works very similar to Marc's body controller, but it is developed for using other engines in the higher end Toyota / Lexus products.
You should not worry about frying any electronics as the BEAN bus can tolerate shorts to both GND and battery.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Following this after stumbling across the Panic G4 kit which looks good and decent enough price, however me being in the UK importing the kit is a bit of a pain and would be good to be able to buy the Altezza PNP from Uk dealer (less warranty hassles then as well should worst happen) then make a case and patch harness to suit and configure the tune to suit 1zz triggers etc, ive had no luck finding Altezza plugs to make a harness yet though, any ideas on that ?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
The Altezza plugs/connectos are the exact same as the 1zz 2zz plugs. The header is the same. The only difference is the position of some pins. I have gone through the analysis of the pinouts - 22 terminals have to be moved either on the same connector or to a different connector. I will post something after I have a chance to verify it. Probably doing this with a readily available patch harness makes more sense than repinning the connectors. The triggers and actuators and sensors are the same except for the idle control and a few other exceptions that are unique to the Altezza. Probably the Altezza TPS will work as wired but the APS will have to be re-configured for a IACV instead. I don't see why you would need to "find Altezz plugs to make a harness" as your 1zz plugs will plug right in to the AltezzaLink.

PS. I do think the PanicWire kit is a good value unless you are absolutely skint or you just prefer DIY.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It works very similar to Marc's body controller, but it is developed for using other engines in the higher end Toyota / Lexus products.
You should not worry about frying any electronics as the BEAN bus can tolerate shorts to both GND and battery.
I can't find any documentation on it. Even when I emailed them they were very dodgy about the actual functionality.

This is the most useful thing I've got up to this point.
All4Swap said:
CAN to BEAN is only available for selected CAN bus protocol
i.e. for fitting engines controlled by their factory ecus

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I can't find any documentation on it. Even when I emailed them they were very dodgy about the actual functionality.

This is the most useful thing I've got up to this point.
This is their unique style - they never give a straight answer on anything. The reason is complete paranoia about theft of their intellectual property. To figure out what the stuff does, you have to praise the guy and tell him what a genius you think he is, or you have to look at some of their videos and facebook posts. So actually what this think originally did is to take outputs from a 1UZ-fe ECU and use them to drive a Altezza cluster. It has been extended to take CANbus outputs from CAN capable ECU's and use them to drive the Altezza cluster. At least this is my interpretation.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts