MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Altezza plugs/connectos are the exact same as the 1zz 2zz plugs. The header is the same. The only difference is the position of some pins. I have gone through the analysis of the pinouts - 22 terminals have to be moved either on the same connector or to a different connector. I will post something after I have a chance to verify it. Probably doing this with a readily available patch harness makes more sense than repinning the connectors. The triggers and actuators and sensors are the same except for the idle control and a few other exceptions that are unique to the Altezza. Probably the Altezza TPS will work as wired but the APS will have to be re-configured for a IACV instead. I don't see why you would need to "find Altezz plugs to make a harness" as your 1zz plugs will plug right in to the AltezzaLink.

PS. I do think the PanicWire kit is a good value unless you are absolutely skint or you just prefer DIY.
Ah ok i thought the plugs looked slightly different on the diagrams at least, will have a look at some actual ecu pictures to compare, used Altezza ecus are expensive over here for some reason £200+ or i would just buy one if they were 50bucks or so

I already have a patch harness from an old EMB setup i could adapt easily enough if the plugs are the same, i am still interested in a Panic kit to make it easier and in case of other issues that may crop up, just waiting for them to give me a shipping quote.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Lexus IS200 has the same ECU case and connectors if I am not mistaken.
Plenty of IS200's on the scrapyard in the UK.
The IS200 cases are different much smaller than the ALtezza with Beams engine that Link pnp is for, connectors maybe same i dont know but if as Frankster says they are same as MR2 as well its not a problem i have those already :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok let's put this to rest once and for all

MR2 Spyder MR-S header
View attachment 82566

Altezza Header
View attachment 82561
Thanks ive seen those but there are quite clear differences in those picture on shapes of connector ports in some areas, to the untrained eye at least, that is what led me to believe i would need some Altezza plugs to make harness, however after your comments i looked at some actual Ecu pictures and cans see the diagrams are not true to the actual visual look of them and as you say they do seem to be the same :) i wasnt doubting your knowledge just didnt look right to me on diagrams so wanted to be 100% sure.

Pics below of both Ecus for clarity, will see if i can find some better quality/ same angle ones...
Product Font Electronic device Musical instrument accessory Machine

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Ok glad we got that. For future reference, it's the same header for most Toyota ECUs of that era.

I gave some more thought to the a/c control issue. From what I have gathered here, the a/c control unit requires some kind of wake-up message from the ECU. But re-pinning the 1zz harness for the AltezzaLink means moving the MPX wires, along with a number of other wires. So plugging the stock ECU back in for a wake-up or handshake is no longer the option.

A possible alternative is to inject a BEAN message using a simple device, like this one: An Arduino-based BEAN controller.that has the capability to receive and transmit BEAN messages.

Possibly a simple inexpensive Arduino-based device can be put together to inject the right message through the DLC, or another network connector. If workable, this could solve the issue.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ac is no issue for me my car doesnt have it but i appreciate others do and could be a hassle.

I just want a decent pnp ecu to control my engine, i had wire in Link G4 on last turbo build and it worked well so would use same again if no other option, but would be nice to have a pnp without having to fiddle with wiring tucked in behind the seats, also the Altezza unit is quite a bit cheaper which is good too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just for information i spoke to someone at Link HQ about this and explained the situation, they are going to look into it but have a few other PNP projects in front of it so probably 2022 they reckon before they get to it, hopefully they come up with a good solution but in the meantime its either a kit from Panic or have a fiddle myself with a Altezza pnp board....

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Moving right along... one of the differences between the Altezza and the 1zz/2zz is the throttle. Altezza has ethrottle, zz has cable throttle. So there is a difference in the configuration of the analog inputs and outputs of the Link. To use the AltezzaLink with the zz, the configuration has to be changed from eThrottle to cable throttle with idle air control. Another difference is the number of vvt circuits and cam sensors. The Altezza has two, the zz just one. So this has to be changed in the configuration.

I have found a running base map/configuration for a 2zz-ge with LInk G4x. This can be compared to the basemap/configuration for Altezza, which is included in the Link software download. And the appropriate changes can be made in the AltezzaLInk configuration, based on the zz configuration for throttle and vvt

I am sure there are a few other significant differences between Altezza and zz that will become apparent and will require a change in configuration (Fuel pump? Radiator fans?).

I'll get into the specific details of the configuration of the inputs and outputs later. For now I am just posting the 2zz base map/configuration file, for anyone else who is interested..

As usual, strip the .pdf extension.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
My apologies in advance for hijacking this thread and making it my own private idaho for adapting the AltezzaLink to the ZZW30. Anyone else with something useful to contribute, please jump in. @thetyrant, I know that you are experienced with LinkECU, so please feel free to contribute.

I am going to compare the AltezzaLink and the ZZW30 configuration settings side-by-side and identifying the settings that need to change for the AltezzaLink to work in the ZZW30.

I am starting with the idle. The idle configuration settings in the Link ECU are fairly standard. I have framed them in red in the configuration tree.

I made a list of the settings for Idle and Ethrottle - there is one eThrottle setting that must be changed, and two eThrottle settings that just go away. Then there are seven Idle Speed Control settings that must be changed.

Let's start with the simplest change, turning off the eThrottle. These are the eThrottle settings for Altezza and 2zz side by side.

In the 2zz, eThrottle Mode is simply set to "OFF." Here's how you do it. Turn off eThrottle. Best viewed in full screen.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Next we address the Idle Speed Control. All we have to do is change the idle speed control mode from eThrottle to solenoid. This also involves selecting and configuring output lines for the IACV power.. Let's put the Idle Speed Control Setup screens for Altezza and 2zz side by side.

The 2zz configuration settings file that we have uses Aux3 for the IACV output. However in the Altezza file (refer to the spreadsheet posted previously) Aux3 is used by the Tachometer ouput. The best option for matching things up is to leave Aux3 for the tachometer, move the ZZW30 tacho wire from its original position D27 to the Aux3 position which is D26, and select one of the unused Aux outputs for the IACV.

Let's make a quick list of Aux outputs and their uses:

AUX1 OCV1
AUX2 OCV2/Unused
AUX3 Tacho
AUX4 Unused
AUX5 ACIS/Unused
AUX6 Evap Purge VSV
AUX7 Throttle Motor Clutch/Unused
AUX8 Unused
AUX9 Throttle Motor/Unused
AUX10 Throttle Motor/Unused
AUX11 MIL Lamp

We should be able to select any of the unused AUX outputs for the IACV. Provisionally, let's select AUX2 to provision the IACV..

Here is the video for changing the Idle Speed Control Setup

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Continuing down the tree for Idle Speed Control, we put the Idle Ignition Control for Altezza and 2zz side by side.

Altezza

2zz

Obviously there are some differences in the target angle, the allowable min and max, and the PID settings. A priori it is difficult to determine what direction to make changes if any - idle ignition target will depend on a number of factors including the VE at idle, the desired idle speed, the compression ratio. and maybe others. No reason to make any changes at this point as they would be arbitrary and unnecessary. This should be tuned later.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Next up the Idle Actuator.

Altezza

2zz

Some startling differences here. With eThrottle the butterfly opening controls the airflow. A small difference in butterfly opening can give a big difference in airflow (jumpy dbw pedal anyone? ha ha ha). Maybe not so much with a IACV solenoid where the duty cycle needs to stay at a higher level.

Will have to research this further.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
AC Offset table. How much change to give the throttle position (eThrottle) or solenoid duty cycle (IACV) when the AC is switched on. The 2zz base map does not have any AC offset - probably the car has no ac. No idea what to put here at this moment. Will have to refer to base map/configuration files for other cable throttle cars in the LinkECU basemap collection.

Altezza

2zz

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Startup Offset Table

Altezza

2zz

This supports what I articulated previously that the difference between required throttle opening and required solenoid duty cycle change is basically an order of magnitude for corresponding difference in air flow. So the numbers in the AltezzaLink should be changed.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Idle Base Position Table

Altezza

2zz

Once again, an order of magnitude difference, due to the difference in operation between butterfly and IACV solenoid.

This wraps it up, leaving a few minor details to address. All the heavy lifting of re-configuring the throttle and the idle control is done.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I can't remember exactly but I think the IACV (RSO) on the 2zz and 1zz is controlled with a 12v signal so an simple AUX (ground switched) might not do it. I'm not sure how @tony_r has his set up. Maybe he could post his program or at least some screen shots to get us on the right track to see what's going on. On the EMU Black I'm using an H-Bridge output (12v or ground). H-Bridge setups are typically known for their ability to switch the directions of motors. If the Altezza can run a drive by wire setup, it likely it has some kind of h-bridge built into it that could be repurposed for the RSO on the 2zz or 1zz. It looks like something going on with Aux 7, 9, and 10 could be the ticket there.

Regarding IACV settings, those will probably need to be fine adjusted from the canned ones to get a steady idle at 950. I can't get my idle steady below about 900 even after months of testing and tuning in all the scenarios. That is after I started with a Lotus 2zz "base map" that should have worked out of the box. I'm not sure how the stock ecu does such a good job at this but standalone ecus in this price range typically have a "one size fits all" pallet of adjustments that can get 90% of the way to the factory quality 100% of the time and 100% factory quality 90% of the time. My 2zz with ID1000s is the 90% of the way to factory scenario. In the Link I'm seeing those open loop controls for idle in your pictures. The Altezza looks like a throttle position and the 2zz looks like a duty cycle. Is there an option for closed loop?

My 2zz landed here for the base IACV DC table. This is after I had to adjust the throttle stop because it was sticking. It was originally closer to your 2zz table.

Then I have a PID control (closed loop) applied on top of that to aid in "settling" the idle down quicker and keep it under control through the slight changes in conditions. Even oil temp will have an impact on idle so PID control over the DC is a must for a street car.

See in this log the PID hard at work to keep things in check, even looking at my last log from the weekend I see things I can probably do to improve it, along with that noise spike on the vehicle speed signal that I've never noticed before.

This is my RPM over coolant temp target table

Ok, enough for now but I like the tech talk. I wish more people who were actually out running this kind of stuff could contribute. Everyone seems to be pretty protective of their ecu files and the information around them.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts