Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods

BC racing invert coilovers
Che Sway Bar
Beefy endlinks
Dev Polyurethane steering bushing

Yesterday was fine driving in a straight line going home but this morning something felt way out of place with steering, I would go to make a slight right and the car would lurch severly to the right and felt like their was some good amount of play going on. I will be taking the wheel off during my break and inspect all my bolts but this was something I have never experinced before.

I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on what to check or look at besides the obvious. No alignment needed as the car tracks straight very well for the past 9 months since I did all my suspension. I plan on getting a corner balance in March once the shop is ready with their new equipment they ordered.

Thankyou everybody!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I was hoping someone could give me some pointers on what to check or look at besides the obvious. No alignment needed as the car tracks straight very well for the past 9 months since I did all my suspension.
Hey Matt, sorry man, but I have only the obvious. You need to check all the hardware on the coilovers and the suspension members, and you need to get that alignment checked:huh: I sounds to me like your alignment "was" good, and something has changed. Do it sooner rather than later, don't F up your tires. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Is it while brakes are applied?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I would check the coil overs.One of my front coil overs lowered itself a little over time.A 4 corner balance sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Same behavior for me for 6 months until I switched to a better alignment shop...they found the semi-loose bolts on the rear control arm.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked everything and was able tighten some bolts but Im still not satisfied because most of the things I tightened were snug and I just made them more snug. I was able to tighten my lock collars on my coilover and readjusted the camber plates and moved the two middle bolts to the inside so when they touch Im at absolute zero camber from EYESIGHT, just waiting until next month for a corner balance, only one shop in Orlando does it and their currently upgrading their alignment rack.

Ill check the left side when I get home and see what I can do their, my main focus was the right side since that where I assume it started, the left is still untouched.

Thanks so far everybody!

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
I checked everything and was able tighten some bolts but Im still not satisfied because most of the things I tightened were snug and I just made them more snug. I was able to tighten my lock collars on my coilover and readjusted the camber plates and moved the two middle bolts to the inside so when they touch Im at absolute zero camber from EYESIGHT, just waiting until next month for a corner balance, only one shop in Orlando does it and their currently upgrading their alignment rack.

Ill check the left side when I get home and see what I can do their, my main focus was the right side since that where I assume it started, the left is still untouched.

Thanks so far everybody!
Do me a favor and check the bushings that you have installed. Make sure that the control arm bushings bolt and nut is tight.

It is not out of the possibility that when you installed them the bolts may not have been tightened enough. Then again the symptoms would be noisy clunking which isn't the case.

The test car where the bushings were installed has been going great as a daily driver for months now and has several thousand miles on it so I don't suspect that to be a problem but you never know.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
I have seen several failed inverted BCs.

Also check the wheels bearings. Stuck brake caliper.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn dev, you caught me again, that was the one bolt I didn't check only cause from eyesight the bushing had obvious signs of pressure all around it but in a hour here Ill go look at it again and see.

I love the feeling before todays events, I know I installed the one of each halve correctly as I made sure I didn't put two of the same on one side.

Silversprint, what kind of signs should I look for in a failed coilover? (Im running 5k front 7k rear full stiff.

BC Racing office is but a 45min drive from my house w/o taking the highway so if nothing improves looks like Ill take a drive on over. Great group of people from what I here when you have a problem with their product.

Thanks again, Im posting allot because Im documenting everthing Ive checked so far.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brakes have been serviced at the same time as my suspension and braking has been flawless, No stuck calipers here. Just some EBC slotted/ dimpled rotors, ss brake lines, EBC yellow stuff, DOT4 fluid ( don't ridcule me, Im going back to DOT3 and yes I've learned why already)

Another note,

While the wheel was off I was shaking the whole assymblie inwards/ outwards and it took quite some force to wiggle it and only moved ever so slightly. Tried turning the hub left and right and it wasn't budging (of course the steering wheel was locked but still no major play in the suspension. Spun the rotor a couple times and that was spinning freely as if the song "Free Bird" was playing.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Damn dev, you caught me again, that was the one bolt I didn't check only cause from eyesight the bushing had obvious signs of pressure all around it but in a hour here Ill go look at it again and see.
If you notice that the bolt is loose in any way what I recommend is to use some red lock tight on the nut and then re install it.

I hope that is not the case but it is better to check. The pivot points of the bushing is on the ends not the middle so if it is loose it can possibly cause the problem you are describing, Hopefully not.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
Its not really possible to check the shock when it's still installed with the spring. You have to push the shock in by hand and see if it compresses easy.

Did you check the swaybar bushing and bolts? Is there any kind of noise?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I've checked everything I could, the next step is to drive home and see how it feels.

Everything is tight and the left side is checked and cleared.

Well post later tonight...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Drove home just fine.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Good to hear. Now what I need from you is information on if you had to tighten the control arm bolts any.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just made it really snug with a Kobalt 3/8 ratchet (torque comparison) while the car still had all fours planted on the ground.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
Just made it really snug with a Kobalt 3/8 ratchet (torque comparison) while the car still had all fours planted on the ground.
If the same symptoms happen again and that was the cause then use some red lock tight on the bolts.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, will do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts