MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to Everyone, i'm new here.

i desperately need some help with this issue as is making me going crazy.

This summer i installed the D2 racing "Street" Coilovers, with new front arms bushings and lower ball joints.

Everything seemed pretty ok, maybe a little too harsh, but the car was terrific on smooth roads with the 205/45/16 Square setup i installed months earlier.

One day, on the way to work, i accidentally hit a curb with my front left wheel. By that moment the steering wheel started to act strangely, but i didn't gave it much importance at the time.

With time the shaking got worse and worse, so i decided to change some parts that maybe were worn out (As the car has 170k+ miles on the clock)

so i changed Discs and Pads, Outer Tie Rods, and all the swaybar end links.

Plus, i throw under the car the stock set of wheels with winter tires (the 16" wheels were balanced and they are not bent, will use it in summer)

Despite of the new parts, the shaking remained....worse than ever.

I checked if i had some spun wheel bearing or maybe the bushing were destroyed in the "accident", but again everything seemed in good shape. So were the inner tie rod.

I really don't know what to do, the steering wheel shakes from 5 up to 90 mph exponentially, the faster you go, the harder it shakes.

I also noticed that, when the car is parked, if i move really fast the steering wheel from left to right, i hear a clunking sound coming from under the steering when in the car and on the left side when outside the car.

The "funny" thing tho is that above 90, the wobble start decreases.

In the near future i will also change the d2 with stock suspension with eibach springs, only for more comfort considering that i daily drive my Spyder, but i dont think the d2 are the problem...

Any idea on what may cause this unpleasant feeling?

I'm really starting to hate driving the car for this problem and driving pleasure IS the purpouse of this car!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I suspect damaged parts in the steering system.
since you have ruled out rotating parts (disc, rim) by swapping, and no change in behavior..
And the reported clunk makes me focus on steering.

Maybe bad mounts on the rack, bad inner tie rods..etc. possibly the ball joint

jack the front of the car up, PUT IT ON STANDS, front wheels off the ground.
Cannot over emphasize on the safety aspect here. you want it secure.

grab the tire at 12 and 6 for the analog clock guys. top and bottom for digital folks.\
wiggle and listen. Shouldn't be any clunk, and very very little play if any. If you can make the clunk reveal itself, you are doing good.

Then do 9 and 3 o'clock position.

Play felt at 12/6 wheel bearing, ball joint, upper strut mount.
Play felt at 9/3 : wheel bearing, tie rod ends, suspension arms

if you can make it clunk, now you need 2 people. one to move the wheel, while the other listens to locate the noise, and looks for the source..

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume that you had the wheels aligned after this happened.

I think that it is "funny" that you have enough chutzpa to take a car with faulty steering over 90. :oops:
Yes, Wheel aligned a week ago

Well, the car "Feels" unsafe but it isn't.
..i don't know how to explain this but the car drives "right" (goes straight, turns properly ect.) but it feels "wrong".

jack the front of the car up, PUT IT ON STANDS, front wheels off the ground.
Cannot over emphasize on the safety aspect here. you want it secure.

grab the tire at 12 and 6 for the analog clock guys. top and bottom for digital folks.\
wiggle and listen. Shouldn't be any clunk, and very very little play if any. If you can make the clunk reveal itself, you are doing good.

Then do 9 and 3 o'clock position.

Play felt at 12/6 wheel bearing, ball joint, upper strut mount.
Play felt at 9/3 : wheel bearing, tie rod ends, suspension arms

if you can make it clunk, now you need 2 people. one to move the wheel, while the other listens to locate the noise, and looks for the source..

Rob
I did this, but only with one wheel off the ground, should i try with both wheels up? it makes any difference? Thanks for the datiled guide though!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Emmanuel,
What you are primarily looking for is the source of any play. That is probably where the clunk noise is coming from.
Honestly, you could probably take it to the same shop that did your alignment, and have them identify what is loose or broken.
Many places will do a cheap or free inspection in the hopes that they get to make the repair money.
A phone call would probably get the cost answer covered.

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts