MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changed radios in about every car I've owned, and never had this kind of trouble.

Excuse me if I'm curt, but really pissed.

The instructions I have start with removing four caps on the lower portion of the radio tower.

They are plastic and they are not coming off. I can't get to the backside, and they will not pop off. I'm already at the point of ruining the plastic......what a piece of crap.

Before starting this, I checked this site for any advice which may have been out there, of course there wasn't anything I could find.

Any help?

Rick

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, got past that....one piece...why make it look like two caps over two screws? Very funny.

Now, all out except for the upper right screw holding the stereo in.....why the hell they need to screw these things in so damn tight...hope like hell I don't have to drill this one out.

Thanks for the response....I didn't know they 'popped' off as one piece....easy once you know.

I'm going to cool down and go back out and see if I can get this last screw out.

Oh, I did remove the climate control cover too....couldn't get to the upper screws without....not helping a lot on this last screw.....argh.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ok, got past that....one piece...why make it look like two caps over two screws? Very funny.

Now, all out except for the upper right screw holding the stereo in.....why the hell they need to screw these things in so damn tight...hope like hell I don't have to drill this one out.

Thanks for the response....I didn't know they 'popped' off as one piece....easy once you know.

I'm going to cool down and go back out and see if I can get this last screw out.

Oh, I did remove the climate control cover too....couldn't get to the upper screws without....not helping a lot on this last screw.....argh.
Yeah you have to remove the HVAC controls. I feel your pain man, I got my 2 with a busted radio and when I went to replace it all of the screws were monkey gripped on. Did you try spraying that last screw and letting it sit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once I got a good angle on it, I was able to get it out.

It's all done. The mount kit I purchased isn't quite as nice as I would like, but I can pick up a new one when it is convenient. Of course, there is that one damn foot I screwed up....keep an eye out for another one of those too.

I'm not that bad of a mechanic, the second time through.....lol; the first time, I'm just as likely to break something as fix something. The problem I had with the foot is first I didn't know how it was mounted, and when I did try to pry the unit off, it took a lot of prying, much more than I would normally do.

Once you know how it all goes together, a 20 minute job....first time, hours...but I now have a good stereo and a 'not too bad' installation.

So, now that I've reported back, it's time for a little drive with the new HD (we have a fantastic blues station here, HD2).

Thanks again for the help and putting up with me....I will be an asset as some point in the future.

Rick

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
The lesson here is that when you encounter some kind of problem during a job (e.g., getting the tower foot caps off), contact another owner with experience and find out what to do. Otherwise you risk damaging something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts