MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend my stock antenna stopped lifting and retracting, it stopped at half mast and would not go down any further even if a pushed on it. Every time i turned on the radio i could hear a grating noise coming from the antenna. I presumed the gears were stripped, so i set out the remove the wheel arc cover to get to the antenna. I removed it and opened it up, all the gears were intact. I did notice that the gear strip was loose, does the gear strip connect to the aerial?

After inspecting i notice the aerial its self wont close, seems like something is stuck inside. My question is were can i find a replacement? Has anyone completely deleted that antenna unit and installed an in car unit? I know the signal will be considerably weaker.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
The nylon gear strip is what gets damaged. There is a recent thread discussing exactly what you are asking. Take a look for that as I don't remember the details. Best of luck.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
hey ricky, toss the ugly thing, your radio reception will suck but hey it wasnt good to begin with. i got my unit lying somewhere at home in dbn.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noticed that the gear strip has broken off the aerial mast. To fix it i would have to get a new aerial mast for MrT but whos to say it wont break again. I want to get rid of the hole thing, its just a pain and makes the spyder look like a rc car :lol:

Thanks, had a look at that but no stock. Need to contact lordtukuban and ask if his getting stock any time soon.

Anyone using an internal glass mount aerial/amplified window antenna? Then there wont be anything poking out an ill get the hole plugged and sprayed.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Got the idea from the SLK and 3 series cabrio. they have the same type antenna

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Got the idea from the SLK and 3 series cabrio. they have the same type antenna

What is it? I already threw out my whole assembly (just a cut cable remains) so I need a whole new assembly that is aesthetically pleasing. I guess I need to buy a 00-02 assembly then screw on my preferred antenna, any other option?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Nope its generic bee-sting aerial that fits perfectly on the curve on the fender.

reception sux though

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ah yes, you are in South Africa, I can only find this online for Europe and you maybe have more access to such things...

·
Registered
977 Posts
dont feel bad, we dont have acess to all the really good bits like performance items, shipping from the states is killers.

for the record i bought this from our local version of what you would call pepboys.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Noticed that the gear strip has broken off the aerial mast. To fix it i would have to get a new aerial mast for MrT but whos to say it wont break again. I want to get rid of the hole thing, its just a pain and makes the spyder look like a rc car :lol:

Thanks, had a look at that but no stock. Need to contact lordtukuban and ask if his getting stock any time soon.

Anyone using an internal glass mount aerial/amplified window antenna? Then there wont be anything poking out an ill get the hole plugged and sprayed.
Had a glass mount aerial installed from day one on my previous spyder (right above the rearview mirror), worked perfectly. First thing I'll get rid of with my recently arrived 'new' spyder is the stock fish rod. Apart from the RC-look it makes a LOT of noise at 120 km/h....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Nope its generic bee-sting aerial that fits perfectly on the curve on the fender.

reception sux though
Hi Silverbullet,

Does this Bee-sting fit perfectly for replacement of the stock 2000 Mr2 Spyder ? Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wanted to get a glass mount antenna for a cleaner look but all the ones i found looked like bad cheap quality Chinese stuff and i grew a little tired of searching. Yesterday i pull the trigger on the LT antenna, should be getting it next week sometime. Oh and great service and LT was happy to answer all my questions.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi Ricky,
Will the LT antenna works for 2000 Spyder ? It does not have the power antenna. It is just the fixed length RC car type. What do I need to fit it if it doesn't ?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts