MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And yes I have tried to search for this here. Here is my deal,

I have removed my stock silver bumper from my 2002 spyder. It is not in horrible condition but the rock chips were really bugging me. I want to repaint it the RIGHT way, and then put a clear bra on it.

Steps I will take:

1. Sand the bumper completely down. (done)

2. Clean well and apply a SEM Adhesive Promoter for the primer to stick

3. Prime and sand, prime again, and repeat until I am satisfied.

4. Shoot my base coat

Any advice from anyone that has done this? I am not cheaping out by doing this myself, I have spent 400 + already on equipment and paint. I am a do it myself kind of guy and an ready to tackle this project. Just looking for any tips or advice from someone that has done this to their bumper on their own spyder. :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
don't forget to fill any deep gouges, they really show up after a paint job.

Best of luck, metallics are a bitch to do yourself the first time, just make sure you use very thin coats with a good sprayer, the flakes 'float' in any droplets made.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Regarding the clear bra- I had purchased a clear bra kit from a member here- it's as new and is unopened (previous member here who sold their car), but it requires a professional to install it. (unless you're capable of installing it) The professional installation fee alone is ~ $400, so a bit pricey. I might not go that route, but if you have an interest in taking mine off my hands (for less than I paid), let me know- PM me. Also, you may want to wait a few months for the paint to cure before installing a clear bra (probably 3 months or so).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would let the paint cure for a couple of weeks before putting on the clear bra, you wouldn't want it bonding with your new paint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the clear bra- I had purchased a clear bra kit from a member here- it's as new and is unopened (previous member here who sold their car), but it requires a professional to install it. (unless you're capable of installing it) The professional installation fee alone is ~ $400, so a bit pricey. I might not go that route, but if you have an interest in taking mine off my hands (for less than I paid), let me know- PM me. Also, you may want to wait a few months for the paint to cure before installing a clear bra (probably 3 months or so).
Yes I was thinking the exact same thing about waiting before the clear bra is installed. And let me ask you this, why does it need professionally installed? Its just a sticker basically right? I bet I could install it myself.

How much are you asking and what is the brand?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
There's a lot of complex curves in the application of one, and it's a large piece, so it can be a bit unwieldy to handle when applying. I guess it could be done by a non professional, but you should use a heat gun to stretch the film where it's needed to do so. The kit I have, which is complete, contains the film to cover the bumper, end of the hood, and painted aspect of the mirrors. I just realized you have a pre-03 car/bumper, so the kit I have is for an 03+ car- I wouldn't want you to buy it and realize it doesn't fit your car. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

The reason I'm changing my mind on installing my kit is that it's a lot of money for the installation even though I'm providing the kit, and since my car really is a recreational car, the cost for the benefit is somewhat low. By the way, I paid $90 shipped to me- I was looking for maybe $75 shipped, but since this isn't the private sales section, I really shouldn't advertise it here.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It's like installing window tint and vinyl graphics, alot of deliberate movements that if done wrong will leave bubbles. You could do it yourself, but if you look around at alot of the do-it-yourself window tint jobs, you get an idea how it usually ends up when not done by a pro.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Something I worked on a little tonight. Just took it slow and took my time. No bubbles :) There will be another stripe beside it with a 2 inch gap in between them. I was nervous about doing this myself. I've learned a lot of things are easy to do, you just have to take your time.

It's like installing window tint and vinyl graphics, alot of deliberate movements that if done wrong will leave bubbles. You could do it yourself, but if you look around at alot of the do-it-yourself window tint jobs, you get an idea how it usually ends up when not done by a pro.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bummer it wont fit my car! I would have bought it off ya!

There's a lot of complex curves in the application of one, and it's a large piece, so it can be a bit unwieldy to handle when applying. I guess it could be done by a non professional, but you should use a heat gun to stretch the film where it's needed to do so. The kit I have, which is complete, contains the film to cover the bumper, end of the hood, and painted aspect of the mirrors. I just realized you have a pre-03 car/bumper, so the kit I have is for an 03+ car- I wouldn't want you to buy it and realize it doesn't fit your car. Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.

The reason I'm changing my mind on installing my kit is that it's a lot of money for the installation even though I'm providing the kit, and since my car really is a recreational car, the cost for the benefit is somewhat low. By the way, I paid $90 shipped to me- I was looking for maybe $75 shipped, but since this isn't the private sales section, I really shouldn't advertise it here.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
You did a nice job on the engine cover. Maybe you would be able to do the clear bra.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! I was proud of it. I was getting to tired so I decided to wait to do the other side. I figured I would do the hardest piece first to make sure I can do it myself. Next I will do the back bumper, the hood, and then the bumper after it is painted. I will wait 30 days after the paint is on. I was thinking how well the bra will work over the stripes. I don't think that it should make too much of a difference. Do you?

Erdoc48;819027]You did a nice job on the engine cover. Maybe you would be able to do the clear bra.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I've been told by my body shop guy to wait at least 90 days before waxing after painting, because the paint will dull some if you do. So you might want to wait before installing the clear bra.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I do auto body everyday for almost 8 years now, full paint jobs and custom body work, use 400 grit and a red scuff pad completely on ur bumper before painting, make sure its super clean before paint too, was and grease remover or preps-all same thing....use a clear coat with hardener and you only gotta wait 30 days for the bra!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts