MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of a 2zz swap on my 2001 MR2 Spyder and my mechanic pointed out the leakage in my rear struts. I've read through various threads here and many suggest very expensive upgrades. I've personally been very pleased with the stock handling of the car, so I'm thinking it's probably not worth it to me to spend twice the cost of a stock-ish feeling replacement. I'm never going to race the car, but I had decided when I purchased it used at around 97k miles that whenever the time came to replace the engine I would upgrade the 1zz to a 2zz for the extra power & the 5-speed manual to a 6... just didn't think it would happen so soon (the trans died around 125k & the engine around 160k). Regardless, I'm certainly excited to experience my upgraded "Green Barchetta". :cool:

With this in mind, unless there is another I ought to consider for not much more money, I'm currently looking at replacing the struts with the original KYB:

KYB GR-2/Excel-G Struts/Shock 00-05 for MR-S Spyder

I also figure while we've got everything apart I might as well replace the original nearly 20 year old coils which have to be somewhat stressed out by now. Unless anyone has other suggestions for not much more money, from various posts I've read over, it seems many MR2 Sypder owners like this brand of coils:

Eibach ProKit Performance Springs Set of 4 Fits 2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder

I'm personally not interested in lowering my Spyder, as many of the WNC mountain roads have all sorts of hazards... besides even roots creating unexpected "speed bumps", I hit a possum which destroyed my entire front bumper & radiator!

Thank you all for your various posts — this is a very helpful community for many MR2 Spyder owners!

Also, we are documenting my swap with photos and some video. I plan to make a short video of the process which may help some DIY'ers out.

:cool:

bbc
∞ ∞ ∞

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just now noticed toward the bottom of the Eibach ad:

Vehicle Fitment:
2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base L4
  • High Performance Handling and Aggressive Good Looks
  • Lower Center of Gravity
  • Stop Quicker, Take Corners Faster and Get Better MPG
  • Progressive Spring Design for Excellent Ride Quality
  • Million Mile Warranty
I was under the impression that this version of their coils did not lower the car body at all, because other ads have "lowering" in their title.

Does anyone know if Eibach makes a coil for my MR2 Spyder that merely perhaps slightly increases the tightness of the ride over the stock coils without lowering the car's body? Or perhaps another manufacturer might offer such a coil?

Perhaps I'll try calling the company and asking directly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just replaced the worn out TRD Sportivo struts on my Spyder last week with the KYB Excel-G. They're a good choice IMO. Since your taking it apart anyway four new bellows/bump stops kits aren't that expensive.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had the Eibach/KYB setup on my 02 model. It handled better than I thought it was going to but I also upgraded my end links and swaybars at the same time.
It's a good affordable option.
Bumper stops and your Strut Mounts/bearing would be a good idea as well. Got mine apart to discover the front mounts/bearings were shot.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
KYB replacements with stock springs is a good choice if you don't want to lower. All of the other springs will lower the car to differing amounts. Eibach was a good choice, but they no longer list the springs on their web site. Some sites still show them, but if you order them you will find they are "out of stock" with no shipping time. That basically leaves Tein S and H&R and both lower quite a lot.

Another alternative with stock springs is Koni inserts and you use the housings of the old struts. They give excellent control and a better ride than the KYB, but the cost will be higher

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the middle of a 2zz swap on my 2001 MR2 Spyder and my mechanic pointed out the leakage in my rear struts. I've read through various threads here and many suggest very expensive upgrades. I've personally been very pleased with the stock handling of the car, so I'm thinking it's probably not worth it to me to spend twice the cost of a stock-ish feeling replacement. I'm never going to race the car, but I had decided when I purchased it used at around 97k miles that whenever the time came to replace the engine I would upgrade the 1zz to a 2zz for the extra power & the 5-speed manual to a 6... just didn't think it would happen so soon (the trans died around 125k & the engine around 160k). Regardless, I'm certainly excited to experience my upgraded "Green Barchetta". :cool:

With this in mind, unless there is another I ought to consider for not much more money, I'm currently looking at replacing the struts with the original KYB:

KYB GR-2/Excel-G Struts/Shock 00-05 for MR-S Spyder

I also figure while we've got everything apart I might as well replace the original nearly 20 year old coils which have to be somewhat stressed out by now. Unless anyone has other suggestions for not much more money, from various posts I've read over, it seems many MR2 Sypder owners like this brand of coils:

Eibach ProKit Performance Springs Set of 4 Fits 2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder

I'm personally not interested in lowering my Spyder, as many of the WNC mountain roads have all sorts of hazards... besides even roots creating unexpected "speed bumps", I hit a possum which destroyed my entire front bumper & radiator!

Thank you all for your various posts — this is a very helpful community for many MR2 Spyder owners!

Also, we are documenting my swap with photos and some video. I plan to make a short video of the process which may help some DIY'ers out.

:cool:

bbc
∞ ∞ ∞
Eibach springs lower the car 1 and a half inch front and rear. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's comments. It looks like I'm going to go with the KYB struts with Eibach coils and try to deal with the lowering of the car as best I can. If the lowering proves to causes damage to my front end due to common road hazards, my mechanic said he might be able to install spacers to remedy the problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS: Hopefully the Eibach coils I ordered were still in stock — Eibach ProKit Performance Springs Set of 4 Fits 2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Base | eBay — and that the seller was not mistaken in their ad. But yes, the Eibach rep I spoke with prior to ordering said they don't make them any longer most probably because of there not being enough demand. It's really a shame Toyota discontinued the MR2 Spyder while other companies like Mazda continued to make their little runabout convertibles. In my view, Toyota should have not only continued making the MR2 Spyder, but should have also had it come standard from the onset with a 2ZZ engine. Oh well, we all just have to make the best of it! ;-)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NOPE! I was informed by the seller that they cannot get those Eibach coils... DANG, now it's back to the drawing board and I feel as though I'm pretty much at square one! :-(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just go with Tein .... forget the cheap coilovers .

I have a set of those and kyb shocks on my 03 spyder and after the install I wish I would have got a set of decent coil overs. The springs lowered the front more than the rear it a little too much to the point I am stuck with the factory wheels and wanted to run 16 inch wheels squared. It slipped my mind to ask the shop for my original springs back on top of the mega stiff Tein spring that I have now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you!

i contacted Megan & the rep said based on my comments, the version they make he was suggesting to me will not be available for like 6 months or something. that's when i went back searching and found the BC Racing coil overs as a slightly more expensive option.

i am leaning toward "cheap" (never thought i'd spend upward of $1000 for this) coil overs at this point because the videos i've seen makes it seem as though it's good to be able to adjust the front & rear ride heights independently. also, i now like the idea of getting both the struts & coils from the same company.

i'm planning on speaking with a BC Racing rep today and make a decision... now i just hope they are in stock! :cool:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have a set of those and kyb shocks on my 03 spyder and after the install I wish I would have got a set of decent coil overs. The springs lowered the front more than the rear it a little too much to the point I am stuck with the factory wheels and wanted to run 16 inch wheels squared. It slipped my mind to ask the shop for my original springs back on top of the mega stiff Tein spring that I have now.
Tein aren't mega stiff and you can still run 16's squared . Go ahead and get some cheap coilovers and you will find out about mega stiff .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tein aren't mega stiff and you can still run 16's squared . Go ahead and get some cheap coilovers and you will find out about mega stiff .
The Megans I was looking at seem decent. I bet you 16 on the front of my car will rub like crazy. If the coil over have 32 dampening setting why couldn't you just set the soft for street. Teins are pretty stiff compared to factory is what I was saying especially if you hit a pot hole on decent bump in the road you can really feel it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts