21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Here's a thread on bc's .....

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I have a set of those and kyb shocks on my 03 spyder and after the install I wish I would have got a set of decent coil overs. The springs lowered the front more than the rear it a little too much to the point I am stuck with the factory wheels and wanted to run 16 inch wheels squared. It slipped my mind to ask the shop for my original springs back on top of the mega stiff Tein spring that I have now.
The Tein springs don't work very well with the KYB struts as the damping rates are off with the stiffer springs. They do work well with Koni inserts. You also must cut the bump stops as recommended by Tein. We are running the Tein with Koni's and 16" wheels all around and have no clearance issues. We do not run a square set up.

About the only spring options still available are stock, Tein S and H&R

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Megans I was looking at seem decent. I bet you 16 on the front of my car will rub like crazy. If the coil over have 32 dampening setting why couldn't you just set the soft for street. Teins are pretty stiff compared to factory is what I was saying especially if you hit a pot hole on decent bump in the road you can really feel it.
yeah, for around $200 less than the BC Racing, i thought the Megans looked like a pretty decent deal, however, the ones that seemed best for me are not available for 6 months, per a rep with Megan. i have the original size wheels & tires on my Spyder, which are 15's.

i had been under the impression that the adjustments only really affect ride height, not the tension of the spring, but perhaps this is incorrect?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here's a thread on bc's .....

thankfully, BC Racing did at least take care of this gent. also, i noticed he used the RM series rather than the BR series. i have no idea what the difference may be, but i'll make sure to ask.

thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
according to a place called Redline 360, the BC coil over 30-way dampening adjustments do alter the ride softness:

"BC Racing coilovers are 30 way dampening adjustable with simple clicks of the adjustment knob. All the way soft gives you a ride that we think is softer than stock, and all the way firm gives you a track-only, ultra stiff ride. Adjust between front and rear to get you the exact balance that you need. If you are unsure of how to set yours, just send us an email and we can offer suggestions. While other coilovers give you large range of adjustments as well, these coilovers actually make a difference with each click that you can feel."

it really seems as though these will allow me to set the ride height & softness, which sounds like a good plan — especially after hearing from some folks how they wish they could have adjusted theirs. while thus far i've only seen the one negative post about BC Racing coil overs, i've seen several very good reviews, including from Spyder owners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yeah, for around $200 less than the BC Racing, i thought the Megans looked like a pretty decent deal, however, the ones that seemed best for me are not available for 6 months, per a rep with Megan. i have the original size wheels & tires on my Spyder, which are 15's.

i had been under the impression that the adjustments only really affect ride height, not the tension of the spring, but perhaps this is incorrect?
I think you are right the spring rates I looked at were 4 up front and 7 in the rear. I really want my ride height back so I can get a new set of wheels. I do like the stocks wheels but mine need a good bit of work. Here is the specs I like the best offer option to get a decent deal. APPLICATION: Toyota MR-Spyder 00-06 SPRING RATES: F: 5 kg/mm R: 7 kg/mm - 32 Levels of Damper Force Adjustment - Pillow Ball Upper Mounts w/ Camber Adjustment. (Front Only) - Rubber Dust Boots - Adjustable Ride Height - Aggressive Spring Rates - Single-Cylinder Design - Aluminum Brackets 32 Levels of Adjustment: 1-8: Suggested for track use. 9-16: Suggested for mountain/aggressive use. 17-32: Suggested for common street use. - All coil-over damper kits come with 1 year manufacturer-defect warranty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
BCs are budget coils. They're the lowest end you should consider. Solid quality but rough and stiff. Megans are sub-budget.
i guess i was always in the market for budget coil coils, because i certainly never intended to pay even $1k let alone $2k (which seems to be norm for the higher end markets). the matter had originally not even crossed my mind until my mechanic noticed some leakage in the struts.

i have been very satisfied in the stock ride of the car, not having any kind of car in the past as i generally drove 4x4 vehicles over the course of my life. and i never plan to take my car to the track, but to use it as my primary vehicle and have some fun in our curvy WNC mountain roads. so i was only looking for a 10-20% (maybe?) improvement in performance driving quality over the stock coils since i have to replace them anyway.

perhaps as some have cautioned here, the BC Racing coil overs may be too stiff...? however, MR2 owners who have installed them seem to like the ride, and according to reviews the ride stiffness/dampening is adjustable separately from the ride height (about which i plan to inquire).

i'll check out any other coil over in the same ballpark price as BC Racing that i ought to consider, but i need to order something on monday. i've looked into the Tein's, but i've read more negative reports about them from Spyder owners than BC Racing, so who knows, eh? :cool:

perhaps it mostly comes down to preference anyway... like many things?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If ride is important, you want a near stock ride height, your struts are shot / leaking, and you want more control, get Koni inserts. They do work well with stock springs and do give more control as the damping is adjustable. With the damping set fairly light (we are running at 1/4 turn from full soft), you will even have a nicer ride than stock.

If you decide you need stiffer springs, the Koni's will still work well. With Tein springs, they work very nicely at 3/4 turn from full soft. They will also last a very long time

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If you are happy with the current ride of you spyder then I suggest Koni shock replacement with a bit of adjust-ability or OEM struts assemblies with stock springs. I have tried a couple of adjustable coilover setups and I suspect most except the KW v3 will give a very hard stiff ride at the softest shock settings. I am currently using standard KW v3 setup three clicks from soft and it is a firm ride. I am working on inserting Koni's in another setup of adjustable coilovers and possibly run 3k ft 4k rear for a softer ride and a bit softer rear to promote a bit of understeer. I have an adjustable rr swaybar to tweak if needed. This is for street only use. I drive with another spyder owner with a softer setup than mine and we keep up with each other very well. I am pretty sure I could have a softer ride and not lose anything feel or handling wise. 5k ft 7k rear with PowerTrix coilovers feels like it will knock my fillings out of my teeth, no need for that!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get some KYB shocks and some lowering springs. Much more comfy, much cheaper, and will handle nicely.
As I commented above, this is exactly what I have with the TRD Sportivo springs/KYB combo and my car rides and sits great.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well I hesitate saying what I did on my 2001 because it is not easy. Moved the stock rears to front and bought 2 Corolla springs for the rear. This seems to have kept a balance suggested in these pages. The Corolla springs from Moog, 2 for $70 of so. The spring platforms are close already , but I did some cutting and reforming of the ends. I also live with some dicey conditions and the car is at stock ride height. I would like it a couple inches lower , but my surgery was such that the springs just fill the unloaded perches. Cutting coil (s) would require keeper springs . Good luck with your set up.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i guess i was always in the market for budget coil coils, because i certainly never intended to pay even $1k let alone $2k (which seems to be norm for the higher end markets). the matter had originally not even crossed my mind until my mechanic noticed some leakage in the struts.

i have been very satisfied in the stock ride of the car, not having any kind of car in the past as i generally drove 4x4 vehicles over the course of my life. and i never plan to take my car to the track, but to use it as my primary vehicle and have some fun in our curvy WNC mountain roads. so i was only looking for a 10-20% (maybe?) improvement in performance driving quality over the stock coils since i have to replace them anyway.

perhaps as some have cautioned here, the BC Racing coil overs may be too stiff...? however, MR2 owners who have installed them seem to like the ride, and according to reviews the ride stiffness/dampening is adjustable separately from the ride height (about which i plan to inquire).

i'll check out any other coil over in the same ballpark price as BC Racing that i ought to consider, but i need to order something on monday. i've looked into the Tein's, but i've read more negative reports about them from Spyder owners than BC Racing, so who knows, eh? :cool:

perhaps it mostly comes down to preference anyway... like many things?
might consider ceika.
i have a set, and Haloruler's had a little testdrive on em.

they sit between BC BR and Fortune auto 500's in terms of ride quality.

·
Registered
23 Posts
At 112K and not looking for a performance upgrade, I replaced old shocks with new KYB's, new top bearings and all the bump stops and inside covers. I probably could have skipped the back top bearings but I needed the front top bearings. I wish I had new rubber bushings between the spring and top bearing in the back. Mine were reusable, but i would have ordered new ones if I new better.

I am happy with the performance, every thing is a lot tighter, but I never push the car.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts