MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are tamper resistence security allen screws that needs a specific key allen to unscrew it. It might not be totally tamper resistant but it does slow the removal down a bit.

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have one of these pos expensive "locks" and AFTER the fact, probably should have kept one latch with it on. Might have had a slightly better chance at being a deterrent.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The key to preventing theft isn't so much in the type of bracket used to install (permanent vs removable) as it is in the hardware used to install the brackets. Regular bolt heads & hex head bolts are common so most ppl have tools to remove them handy. I hate torx hardware but its harder to remove since most ppl don't have the correct tools...then there's actually security bolts which have heads similar to wheel lock lug nuts.

This seriously sucks & I hope this person is caught trying to make the sale. Police will unfortunately require some type of identifying info (serial number, etc) to charge them with often isn't available.

Reactions: DeuceFatty

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, the O.P. mentioned a distinctive paint flaw, so if he has pictures on his phone (time-stamped) that might work, in a perfect world. . .

My parents’ house was burglarized a few months ago, and GUNS were stolen, and the cops didn’t even bother to take fingerprints! So, yeah, I don’t really endorse the fuzz. . .

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I knew about them, but hadn't sourced them. They for sure would've been aware of them and probably had a tool made and ready for it I bet.

As far as I'm aware of so far in this ordeal which is more just rumor than fact hearing via social media conversations thanks to me spamming everywhere. There was someone stealing hardtops and they were in and out of jail for it. Not clear if it's the same person(s) as in my case. Bottom line though like any other crime if you're just slapping them on the wrist for a bad behavior this is the result... They just go right back to it. Especially if it's "easy money".

·
Registered
2002, Turbo, 2ZZGE
1,320 Posts
Son of a. Well, I completely stripped out, like, three of those bolts when installing mine, so hopefully that’ll add an additional layer of security if those D-bags ever make it out to Colorado. . .
These cars and MX5s are so rare here I doubt that'll ever become a thing in Denver.

·
Registered
'02 6 spd Manual (C66)
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
And I'm sure you're monitoring offerup, letgo, Ebay, Craigslist...hope you find it and offer them some violence in return.
Letgo I'll get on it. All the others yes. If they want to sell via Craigslist they're gonna need to go out of state... I spammed all of California.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Probably a good idea to add an endorsement to insurance for the hardtop. Worth a few extra dollars per month for anybody who parks on the street or parking lot. I still need to do this.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I knew about them, but hadn't sourced them. They for sure would've been aware of them and probably had a tool made and ready for it I bet.

As far as I'm aware of so far in this ordeal which is more just rumor than fact hearing via social media conversations thanks to me spamming everywhere. There was someone stealing hardtops and they were in and out of jail for it. Not clear if it's the same person(s) as in my case. Bottom line though like any other crime if you're just slapping them on the wrist for a bad behavior this is the result... They just go right back to it. Especially if it's "easy money".
This is exactly how catalytic converter thefts got so out of hand...the pendulum of justice is unfortunately often late to catch up

Reactions: DeuceFatty

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks, also if you have or are planning to have a hardtop I'd secure it to where it's PERMANENT to the car.
I feel you, but honestly I'm so paranoid about my car I just won't drive it anywhere the least bit shady if I'm going to have to park it. On the rare occasion that I do have to park it somewhere I've got GPS tracking on it, and I'll geofence the address so if it moves more than 6 feet I know about it instantly.

I don't have a hard top to steal though...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel you, but honestly I'm so paranoid about my car I just won't drive it anywhere the least bit shady if I'm going to have to park it. On the rare occasion that I do have to park it somewhere I've got GPS tracking on it, and I'll geofence the address so if it moves more than 6 feet I know about it instantly.

I don't have a hard top to steal though...
Tell me more..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Tell me more..

They have units that plug into the OBD2 port, or you can get the hard wired model and hide it. That's what I have on all my cars and motorcycles. It doesn't kill the battery, in case you're wondering.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
My family also uses an app to keep track of each other, called Life360. If you have a spare cell phone, you can load the app on it and stick the phone someplace inconspicuous. It will track very reliably for as long as your battery will last... which, in the case of the phone I toss into my daughter's boyfriend's car on occasion, is about 2 full days. The software has it's own version of geofencing, so you'll get notifications any time the vehicle leaves or enters any place you want... that's about a 150 yard radius or so. You basically draw a circle on the map and it sets up the alerts.

Works best on AT&T and Verizon phones. The other carriers all have spotty coverage.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Keep spamming. There is a second CL ad for a silver top that had been stolen locally. Looks like there's a group in the Bay Area specifically targeting MR2's.

Trakkit is a no-subscription option I was considering for cars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Someone should really just put out a bait car to catch these guys. Take pictures of them and the car they’re in. It’s probably the only way they’re going to get caught. I’m sure they’re the same people stealing all the s2000 hardtops in that area.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts