MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was planning to autocross in c stock, but I got thinking about it, and maybe STR makes more sense. The $1000 I save on race tires and wheels I can spend on other mods for the car.

In STR can one get rid of the precats and put on a header? I would be able to get a 2003-2005 car and run it with 15's all around?

If you autocross in one class or the other, what made up your mind to go the way you did?

thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hands down for me it was tire expense. But that was from SS on Z06 vette to ST class. Not sure how expensive these are are in stock. You can delete the precats in STR, but you still need to have the main cat. The 225 RS3 is a great inexpensive tire when it is in stock. I also like tweaking the suspension and dialing a car in to make it handle. You hands on kind of tied as to what you can do in stock, and you need to run crazy shock setups in stock to get most cars to handle correctly.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd want to run at least 15x8 wheels with 225/45/15 tires all around. You're gonna spend around 1000 on this wheel/tire setup....
What I was thinking was that I could use STR legal wheels and tires for track days, and I wouldn't have to take them off and on every race, or carry them in the passenger compartment. I could just run them all the time... So, with STR maybe one gets a bit more flexibility? With CS i have to have two sets of tires, race and street so there is more expense there in toto I think... I could buy a roll bar instead of one of the sets maybe.

But for STR I'd have to go to stiffer springs to be really competitive and I don't want to ruin the street ride of my yet-to-be-purchased car. Decisions Decisions.

gm

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
You can run the STR wheels all the time and have that flexibility. You don't have to go to super stiff springs to get the car to handle well. If you want to be hardcore about something then a bunch on comfort items go out the window.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is an interesting tidbit:

http://home.comcast.net/~paxrtp/rtp2012.html

Pax for CS is .833, pax for STR is .835

Only .002 off from each other, so whichever class I choose I should expect to have about the same times if I prep the car right. Seems to me like the R compounds would be a bigger advantage than the allowances they give you in STR, but I can see it being a wash too, non r-compounds these days are a lot stickier than they used to be.

take care,

GM

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
What I was thinking was that I could use STR legal wheels and tires for track days, and I wouldn't have to take them off and on every race, or carry them in the passenger compartment. I could just run them all the time... So, with STR maybe one gets a bit more flexibility? With CS i have to have two sets of tires, race and street so there is more expense there in toto I think... I could buy a roll bar instead of one of the sets maybe.

But for STR I'd have to go to stiffer springs to be really competitive and I don't want to ruin the street ride of my yet-to-be-purchased car. Decisions Decisions.

gm
quick couple points:

how long are you going to run the car?
A6's: ~$200 each, 50 runs to not so sticky, 90 runs to junk
RS3's: ~120 each, 200+ runs to junk, sticky to the end
It doesn't take long to pay for all your STR mods with tire cost difference

ride comfort: I found going from CS appropriate damping to CSP/STR appropriate springs and damping (on the same dampers re-valved) the car is LESS objectionable on the street than it was in stock class. YMMV

·
Registered
758 Posts
if you want my opinion, str is where its at

yes the difference in tire cost pays for str race parts quick, but it also gets better...

when your done with a set of hoosiers - they have no value

if you sell your str car at some point, you can recoup some of the race parts cost if you sell them used

most regions have healthy numbers of str cars, so you usually have a good number of cars to race against

also, I love being able to go to practice and test and tune events and drive all I want... tire wear never crosses my mind at these events, since the tires last so long and are cheap

really the only parts you need to start having lots of fun in STR (not competitive, but lots of fun) is a set of coilovers - my budget BC's are working ok for me, and a set of wheels and tires

1 - 7 of 7 Posts