MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to install my new headunit today. What should have been a 30 minute job has turned into a 3 hour and counting stressfest. I was trying to loosen the top right screw to the headunit (the one behind the headunit and under the climate control panel, and the guy who put it in must have had some masssive forearms.

After a few tries it stripped. And with 0 room for a plier or whatnot, I was unable to get it out with a flathead, or all colors, shapes, and sizes of crosstip.

any ideas how to get the little bastard out?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sensitive approach, but you can try boring it out with a fine drill bit. This has worked for me in the past, it just requires some finesse. Also need to be cautious how deep you drill and not to get off of center.

I'm sure others have some better approaches, though. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had some luck on smaller stuff like that using a pair of wire cutters to grab a hold of the screw and turn it.

Other than that drilling it out is really the only other suggestion i can give. I am not sure if they make an easy-out set that small... I imagine there is one out there for situations like this. Perhaps using a small rotary tool will make it easier to get in the tight space.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't want to mess it up too much with a drill bit. I found a drill bit set that you drill into the head with one side, then the other side actually pulls it out. I had to use the smallest one, and the whole head was almost gone, but it came out. Thanks for the advice. Started at 1PM, finished at 8:40PM. Long day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.