MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah- I know search the forum which I have already done. I'm going to be working on an off season project replacing the struts, boots, and bumpers on my 2003 Spyder. I am trying to keep the stock ride so have the KYB Excel G struts and am trying to get the dust boots and bumpers to go with them. What was being suggested 10 years ago on the forum was KYB SB101 (all four corners) but some said they were too wide and they are currently not listed with KYB as being the correct part. Their catalog currently indicates SB110 and SB116 (different front and rear). I contacted them and was told the catalog was correct with SB101 being listed for other Toyotas but not the spyder. So has anyone had any experience with using any of these and did they fit properly with stock springs? If so, which ones or do you have a different suggestion from your own experience. I want to have the correct parts on hand before I start so any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
692 Posts
There is OEM and aftermarket. OEM is well, OEM. Aftermarket (MOOG, KYB, etc.) is aftermarket. Get OEM. It is part of the cost of the job, rears do not fit well, and front looks like a scab. Now, for the average person, they might not see the scab. But for those reading this, that is the first thing you see when you look at the job. Bite the bullet.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
FWIW I did KYB excels with aftermarket (whatever was on rockauto, I think k they were also KYB) top mounts, boots, & bump stops. I had no issues & did the entire suspension for under $400. This was quite a few yrs ago but if staying with struts I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: BGB-TOY

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to research this a bit more and check out all the options. The boots on there right now are a mess so anything that actually fits will be an improvement. The information provided is much appreciated. 👌

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bought the following parts from Carid a year ago and installed them.
KYB® 333320 - Excel-G™ Front Passenger Side Twin-Tube Strut
KYB® 334310 - Excel-G™ Rear Passenger Side Twin-Tube Strut
KYB® - Front Strut Mount
KYB® SB110 - Rear Shock/Strut Bellow Kit
KYB® SB116 - Front Shock/Strut Bellow Kit
MONROE® 908922 - Strut-Mate™ Rear Strut Mounting Kit
Every thing fit fine
The rubber bushing in the back between the strut top bearing and spring was in poor shape but used them any way as I didn't want to wait. Just ordered these parts.
2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Spring Seat 48044-17030 | OEM Parts (oempartsource.com)

·
Registered
2003 MR2 Spyder
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bought the following parts from Carid a year ago and installed them.
KYB® 333320 - Excel-G™ Front Passenger Side Twin-Tube Strut
KYB® 334310 - Excel-G™ Rear Passenger Side Twin-Tube Strut
KYB® - Front Strut Mount
KYB® SB110 - Rear Shock/Strut Bellow Kit
KYB® SB116 - Front Shock/Strut Bellow Kit
MONROE® 908922 - Strut-Mate™ Rear Strut Mounting Kit
Every thing fit fine
The rubber bushing in the back between the strut top bearing and spring was in poor shape but used them any way as I didn't want to wait. Just ordered these parts.
2000-2005 Toyota MR2 Spyder Spring Seat 48044-17030 | OEM Parts (oempartsource.com)
Thanks, this helps. Looks like you used the same boot kit listed by KYB so you've confirmed they fit inside the springs. I was a little confused since some have been using the SB101 which KYB says isn't listed for the spyder.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yeah, yeah- I know search the forum which I have already done. I'm going to be working on an off season project replacing the struts, boots, and bumpers on my 2003 Spyder. I am trying to keep the stock ride so have the KYB Excel G struts and am trying to get the dust boots and bumpers to go with them. What was being suggested 10 years ago on the forum was KYB SB101 (all four corners) but some said they were too wide and they are currently not listed with KYB as being the correct part. Their catalog currently indicates SB110 and SB116 (different front and rear). I contacted them and was told the catalog was correct with SB101 being listed for other Toyotas but not the spyder. So has anyone had any experience with using any of these and did they fit properly with stock springs? If so, which ones or do you have a different suggestion from your own experience. I want to have the correct parts on hand before I start so any advice is appreciated.
I ask and bought what MonkeyWrench Racing recommended for my TRDSportiva Blue coils two years ago:KYB struts,bellows and stops. It's all on the site.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts