MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been pretty busy the last few weeks, but I have been doing some work on the Spyder and in the garage in general. These projects are not in chronological order.

I got tired of living out of a suit case for the last 5 years (since I moved to this house) so I built a little tool cabinet in the garage to make for easier access to my tools instead of digging them out of an old tool box or tool buckets. I think it came out nice. :lol:

I also needed a system for music in the garage so built this

I also installed Dev's brackets (from Mid Lyph) and gas struts in the frunk and engine bay -- they work great! I know I already posted this photo, but couldn't resist showing it again. It shows my grandson in the frunk -- notice the lifts on both sides.

]
And over the last couple of days I ran wires and set the Spyder up so that there is light in the storage area, glove box and in the foot wells on both sides. No photos of that, but you probably have an idea of what it might look like :lol:

Thanks for taking a look.

·
Registered
627 Posts
how did you paint the box? (where did you get the paint from?)

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how did you paint the box? (where did you get the paint from?)
It actually came white -- very close to 040 Super White (I lied. It is not really 040 Super White -- but looks pretty close). However, I just bought a rattle can of 040 Super White from Patterson Paint in Fresno. Look in the yellow pages of your phone book for automotive paint suppliers. Patterson is one of several places in Fresno that supplies local auto body shops with paint. Tax and license out the door for 2 stage base coat paint (base color and clear coat) was $28.34 for one can of the base color. I already had a rattle can of their Dupont Clear Coat. The breadbox came from Target as a close-out for about $12 bucks. I hope that helps some.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did not know that you could fit a car seat in the frunk... and how the hell do you see when driving that way?? :lol:

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not know that you could fit a car seat in the frunk... and how the hell do you see when driving that way?? :lol:
Car seat? Car seat? We don't need no stinking car seat! Grandson steers the car from inside the frunk -- just like driving a tank.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
How can you find anything.. I look in the last place I used it..

Here are 3 random shots taken in the Barn this morning..

Working in here is like an Archeological dig site.. Depends on when it was last handled, as to how far down in the Dig it is..

Cap

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhhhh . . . the difference is I am not much of a mechanic and my little tool chest is in my little garage . . . not to be confused with a master mechanic in a powerhouse shop that requires a top secret code just to enter "the barn." :lol:

My hat is off to you Cap! You 'da man!

·
Registered
7,685 Posts

Working in here is like an Archeological dig site.. Depends on when it was last handled, as to how far down in the Dig it is..

Cap
A manly man's garage!

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
It's been pretty busy the last few weeks, but I have been doing some work on the Spyder and in the garage in general. These projects are not in chronological order.

I got tired of living out of a suit case for the last 5 years (since I moved to this house) so I built a little tool cabinet in the garage to make for easier access to my tools instead of digging them out of an old tool box or tool buckets. I think it came out nice. :lol:

I also needed a system for music in the garage so built this

I also installed Dev's brackets (from Mid Lyph) and gas struts in the frunk and engine bay -- they work great! I know I already posted this photo, but couldn't resist showing it again. It shows my grandson in the frunk -- notice the lifts on both sides.

]
And over the last couple of days I ran wires and set the Spyder up so that there is light in the storage area, glove box and in the foot wells on both sides. No photos of that, but you probably have an idea of what it might look like :lol:

Thanks for taking a look.
A manly man's garage with OCD! I try, but fail!

·
Registered
614 Posts

Cap
Sadly I've seen worst. Alot worst you can still see the floor in your shop still. I know of someone that has junk parts all over none of any use. I guess I'll just have to part him of his nice 2gr since he wont notice

·
Registered
802 Posts
I was thinking about hanging everything on pegs, but I bought myself a brand new toolbox instead. Now, after seeing your pictures, I think hanging everything would have looked nicer. Oh well.

What are you using to power that deck? I used a computer PSU for 12v in the past, but that's not really an elegant solution.

Maybe it's time to start a "show off your garage" thread...

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I serached eBay for a 12 volt power supply. I think the one I am using is usually used for some sort of computer/tech application. I didn't care what, as long as it was pretty small and had the right power (volt and amp) output. It works great. The toughest part was I had to go to a car recycling yard to get the car side of the wiring harness. Once I had that, the hook-up was fairly easy -- especially since a buddy of mine is an electronics guru and he showed me where to solder what. :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I admire your organizational efforts, Uncle Mush. However, I can't get anything done in a neat and organized environment (ha ha). The objects in the small cardboard box in the foreground of the first picture and on the middle of the table in the second picture are a new batch of dual Team Moon baffles just completed today. I keep threatening to clean up and organize my shop/tiki bar/hangout, but I don't know if it will ever happen or not!

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
. . . reminds me of a sign I once saw over a messy desk at work:

"A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind"

:lol:

I'm not much of a mechanic, so it's easier for me to keep things neat and tidy. :lol:

By the way . . . washed and waxed the Spyder this week and detailed the inside today. Treated rubber and vinyl yesterday with Shin-Etsu Grease -- first time for me to use this product. I'm not sure what to think just yet about the Shin-Etsu. We'll see.

Also -- washing and waxing this week . . .

It was my first time to use an orbital (8 inch) polishing machine. I switched over to using the liquid version of Mcguiar's NXT Tech Wax. I usually use the paste version of that product with very good results. I'm not sure what to think yet about the outcome of using the liquid version. It went on easily enough and buffed out easily enough, but I'm not sure I got the same results as with the paste wax version of the same product.

I wonder if I was too stingy using the liquid product since the stuff is so dang expensive. For 20 bucks of paste wax, I can wax my car several times a year for a couple years. Using the liquid version of NXT, if I weren't so stingy (next time I'll use more) I would imagine I could only get three complete detail sessions out of one bottle. Hmmmm . . . I don't know . . . Lots more for me to learn.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts