MR2 SpyderChat banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What size is the current opening of your prototype nav pod? I’m looking to put a small AEM cdi 5” screen in it.
The model I'm working on has an opening of exactly 180 * 100 mm to conform to the DIN standard. I think a CD-5 would be a little big, but it could perhaps be modified to fit.

I'm going to do a big push to finish my second revision model today and will post a progress update when I do. It will include dimensions and mounting options (at least those that I have considered up to now).

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Long. It depends; the original navpod is two parts that can be done over two days, but the first 2DIN prototype I made was a 56 hour single-part print.

(For reference, this is using PETG. Different materials might be faster, though not by more than 8 hours at most I imagine)

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Update 23 July 2022:

Well I worked late last night and completely forgot to post an update, but the body of the navpod itself is completed and I'm currently printing a new prototype. The navpod unit will entail the main body, mounting rails for the head unit itself, and a faceplate. The main body is depicted here:
Tire Peripheral Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior

I have tried my best to maintain the styling and positioning of the original navpod, however it is positioned forward of the original unit by a substantial amount.

Once the faceplate is designed and the body has finished printing, I will post another update.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks like you're doing a great job on this. I don't have much interest in a putting a head unit up there, but a 3 gauge pod would be cool. I was going to buy the monkeywrench version, but it sounds like there are always fitment issues with theirs.

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Update: my first prototype of the "New Navpod" as I've taken to calling it came out incredibly well! There are a few more kinks for me to work out and a couple aesthetic changes I'd like to make before opening sales, but I hope you're all as excited as I am to see this new body:
Hood Vehicle Automotive mirror Car Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks to everyone for the praise! :)

Minor update: I've been busy with some other things recently so I haven't had a ton of time to work on this, but in the past couple days I've finished making all the necessary modifications to my printer to produce parts in Nylon, whose strength and heat resistance should approach if not match that of an injection molded part (albeit at a slower production time). It's my goal to run off the final product in either CoPA or PA6-GF30 material, depending on whether or not I determine that fiberglass reinforcement is necessary.

On another note, I've ordered a double DIN head unit which I plan on using in my application, and once I have a physical product to reference as opposed to the ISO standard I should be able to really dial in the tolerances and fitments of the unit. It should arrive in the next couple days and I will report back once I've done a trial fit. In the meantime, I'm going to test more with the Nylon filament and work on reducing the amount of hardware required to install the unit (right now I'm using screws to hold the face plate and mounting rails on, but I'd like to transition to plastic features to reduce the number of components).

·
Registered
03 Spyder // and the Spyder and Supra who came before, always in my heart
33 Posts
Holy shit holy shit I love this. I really want to get a CarPlay unit so I don't have to try to find a way to prop up my phone for GPS, etc, and this looks like an amazing option! I rarely use the dash compartment, so I feel like I wouldn't be losing anything. This is exciting!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Update: my first prototype of the "New Navpod" as I've taken to calling it came out incredibly well! There are a few more kinks for me to work out and a couple aesthetic changes I'd like to make before opening sales, but I hope you're all as excited as I am to see this new body:
View attachment 91378
View attachment 91379
View attachment 91380
Interesting approach.
It's nice to see someone who also went through the process of creating their own navpod design.

I'd like to see how this turns out in the end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the praise! :)

Minor update: I've been busy with some other things recently so I haven't had a ton of time to work on this, but in the past couple days I've finished making all the necessary modifications to my printer to produce parts in Nylon, whose strength and heat resistance should approach if not match that of an injection molded part (albeit at a slower production time). It's my goal to run off the final product in either CoPA or PA6-GF30 material, depending on whether or not I determine that fiberglass reinforcement is necessary.

On another note, I've ordered a double DIN head unit which I plan on using in my application, and once I have a physical product to reference as opposed to the ISO standard I should be able to really dial in the tolerances and fitments of the unit. It should arrive in the next couple days and I will report back once I've done a trial fit. In the meantime, I'm going to test more with the Nylon filament and work on reducing the amount of hardware required to install the unit (right now I'm using screws to hold the face plate and mounting rails on, but I'd like to transition to plastic features to reduce the number of components).
Can't wait!

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update 4 August 2022:

After taking a short break from working on the navpod (family was in town), I was finally able to test fit the head unit I purchased inside my latest model revision. As of now, I am 100% satisfied with the internal fitment of the head unit and will exclusively be focusing on (a) the external fitment of the unit within the car and (b) the aesthetics of the main body and faceplate. I have enclosed pictures of the unit in its current stage below.

I'm really trying to get the design of this part sorted before the end of this month, as my (real) work will pick up again and I'll have a lot less time to play around with car stereos and 3D printing. Either way, I'll do my best to continue my updates whenever they are warranted.

Vehicle Automotive mirror Hood Car Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

For reference, the material used here is copolyamide, a member of the Nylon family. I anticipate that this is the material I will be using in the final production, as I am very pleased with the results I'm getting with it and the strength is more than sufficient for a non-loadbearing part.

·
Registered
Yellow 2002 Spyder
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Looks great. What's the glare like during different hours of the day and your relationship to the sun?
I can't speak to glare yet as I've not actually driven with the unit since getting the head unit fitted properly. I'll report on this once I can give a reliable answer.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts