MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly my car (2005 ZZW30) started to have a lot more body roll.This happened half a year ago and I've been slowly trying to figure out if it was me, the tires, the suspension or the alignment and I've come up empty.

I hope I'm right with what body roll means, but when I take a corner at above grandpa-speed, my car gives off the feeling it isn't going to make the corner. The entire car seems to want to go to the outside of the corner, where trees and ditches are. It removes any and all certainty what it will do and the line where the grip ends is just a guess.

After changing tires (and wheels), realligning the car and checking the suspension at my dealer (also looking at some of the rubber bushings), I came up empty. Someone mentioned that in rare cases my sway bars could be worn out due to metal fatigue. Is this possible ? Now I can't say I'm babying my car in the summer, those Potenza RE040's are so damn sticky it's addictive. But are the sway bars something I need to consider replacing before moving on ? Mind you I am dependant on my dealer as I don't have any facilities to take care of it myself or know someone who has, and this is my daily so I just want it fixed and possibly upgraded if not insanely expensive.

I see TRD and Cusco has the sway bars, with the TRD mentioning "extra firm", which seems to be the kind of solution I need. Are the TRD rubber suspension bushings also something I might want to replace after 9 years ?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
How many miles on the body? And how many hard miles on the body? Any accidents?

(If you're picking up what I'm putting down, I'm trying to figure out if you're suffering chassis twist)

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
It sounds like one of your endlinks (most likely front) is not hooked up or rusted through which makes it so that your swaybar is not doing anything. I would hope that a dealer inspection would be able to see this right away. The only other possible cause IMO would be completely blown shocks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The only time I have felt that was when one front end link let go on a autox run. I'd check there for a failure point, and also check the subframe where the bushings are, but you would have clunking noises if it failed by the bushings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies !

Have you gained weight?
Yeah but not enough (and suddenly) to seriously affect my cornering speeds :)

How many miles on the body? And how many hard miles on the body? Any accidents?

(If you're picking up what I'm putting down, I'm trying to figure out if you're suffering chassis twist)
The car has about 73.000 miles on it.

It sounds like one of your endlinks (most likely front) is not hooked up or rusted through which makes it so that your swaybar is not doing anything. I would hope that a dealer inspection would be able to see this right away. The only other possible cause IMO would be completely blown shocks.
I hope so too, I'll be needing maintenance done soon anyway so I can let another mechanic take a look at it.

The only time I have felt that was when one front end link let go on a autox run. I'd check there for a failure point, and also check the subframe where the bushings are, but you would have clunking noises if it failed by the bushings.
No clunking noises.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
It sounds like you are describing understeer. You turn into a corner but the car wants to go straight. If so then that is not really body roll.

However if you do have excessive body roll that is causing understeer then check the rear swaybar. It could also be worn shocks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't seem to be understeer as that (limited to my knowledge) happens when you run out of grip. But this happens even at low speeds and with plenty of grip.

The shocks, how can I know if they are the cause ?

In Belgium, there are plenty of "these" (don't know the English word for it):

I can easily take these (depending on shape) at 30-40mph without it feeling harsh or having a pumping movement (up-down-up-down).

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
At 73k miles it could be your struts.

When I change from summer RE-11 tires to Michelin tires the car feels like it rolls more. Did this change happen with new tires? What are your current tires, soft side walls may contribute to this.

I would check all suspension pieces including sway bar bushings. I have 78k miles on my spyder and replaced the OEM struts with Koni's at 50k.

Any loose bolts holding the rear suspension pieces together will cause problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It happened a few months after a changed from Winter tires to summer tires, the rear are Toyo Proxes T1-R which are "softwalled" compared to the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 in the front and which I also had on the back in 2012. But my Winter set I'm currently using exhibits this too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you have any rubbing? My shocks were completed blown (I have 124k miles though) and when I would corner hard at autocross I would get a lot of rubbing and some roll. I just picked up some Koni's and haven't been able to autocross with them yet, but when I was doing some cornering on some tight corners on the street, I no longer had any rubbing. I agree it could be the shocks, or something on your sway bar is damages (end links). Kinda hard to tell without driving it though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you mean by 'rubbing' ? Skipping of the tire on the road ? The grip doesn't seem to be much less, the ride is just not tight anymore. It feels the opposite of confident because it gives the sensation you are completely missing your line.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yesterday I went back to the dealer, the senior technician offered the week before to go test my car on a test bench for shock absorbers (vibrating pads in the floor where you put your car's wheels on), to determine if the shock absorbers were to blame. They were not.

When I drove back to the dealer with him, I showed him what I was experiencing with some specific corners and he wanted to check under the car again. Back at the garage on the first look everything seemed fine: anti-roll bar rubber joints were still good and seemingly the bars themselves too. But suddenly he felt behind the black exhaust shield and down came the sheets of rust. The rear anti-roll bar was completely rusted, except the ends that stick out past the exhaust shield.

This will be replaced next week and will hopefully solve the problem I am having.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I went to the dealer to pick it up, also asked to look at the state it was in under decent light. It had corroded about 3/4 of the bar's length. With the new one, the car drives like before and now I can feel the tires losing grip instead of the car acting unpredictable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From the photo you posted: Americans call them "speed-bumps". I call them "annoying" (and other choice words as well).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suddenly my car (2005 ZZW30) started to have a lot more body roll.This happened half a year ago and I've been slowly trying to figure out if it was me, the tires, the suspension or the alignment and I've come up empty.

I hope I'm right with what body roll means, but when I take a corner at above grandpa-speed, my car gives off the feeling it isn't going to make the corner. The entire car seems to want to go to the outside of the corner, where trees and ditches are. It removes any and all certainty what it will do and the line where the grip ends is just a guess.

After changing tires (and wheels), realligning the car and checking the suspension at my dealer (also looking at some of the rubber bushings), I came up empty. Someone mentioned that in rare cases my sway bars could be worn out due to metal fatigue. Is this possible ? Now I can't say I'm babying my car in the summer, those Potenza RE040's are so damn sticky it's addictive. But are the sway bars something I need to consider replacing before moving on ? Mind you I am dependant on my dealer as I don't have any facilities to take care of it myself or know someone who has, and this is my daily so I just want it fixed and possibly upgraded if not insanely expensive.

I see TRD and Cusco has the sway bars, with the TRD mentioning "extra firm", which seems to be the kind of solution I need. Are the TRD rubber suspension bushings also something I might want to replace after 9 years ?
It's most likely bad struts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
You are describing understeer, car pushing out to outside if a turn.

Worn front tires. Bad rear swaybar.

Also this car is made to understeer from the factory.

Going in too fast into a corner will cause understeer on a stock spyder.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts