MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've been dreaming about this since the FT-HS concept in 2007. I'm glad it also branched out to a more affordable FR-S because that new Supra/MR2 might be a bit out of my reach when it's out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've been dreaming about this since the FT-HS concept in 2007. I'm glad it also branched out to a more affordable FR-S because that new Supra/MR2 might be a bit out of my reach when it's out.
Wow 60 000 $, out of my reach too and not really interested in gas/electric motor set up.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Same set-up as the new Acura NSX which will be built in OHIO.
The goal for the carmakers in the future is to make the higher end ones (sports/ exotics) electric assist 4 wheel drive instead of a standard diff, engine powered to all 4 wheels, so the miles per gallon doesn't suffer. For example, Acura's Super Handling- All Wheel Drive, although decently reliable, was very expensive to repair and ate into the mpg of the cars it was on. Add a hybrid power train for better mpg so the one sports car in the factory's line doesn't drop the manufacturer's overall government mpg mandate at the time by getting better mileage. Also, in wheel electric motors adds to torque of the car as well as added HP. It's another 'copy what the other guy has' idea. This one will be markedly out of my price range as I'm hoping to pare down my work hours by 2015. I also get a little nervous about all the electronic controls of the newer cars as they can be a bear to solve and very expensive to fix. I guess the Spyder lives on in my garage for the foreseeable future.

I loved the concept of the GTR, but when I started reading horror stories of clutch failure and a new 'procedure' for the launch control, I was disappointed (not that I had any idea to get one, just that Nissan didn't apparently test fully- read beat the s**t out of one to see what it's upper envelope of abuse potential was).

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I loved the concept of the GTR, but when I started reading horror stories of clutch failure and a new 'procedure' for the launch control, I was disappointed (not that I had any idea to get one, just that Nissan didn't apparently test fully- read beat the s**t out of one to see what it's upper envelope of abuse potential was).
If it makes you feel any better, they appear to have fixed the issues with the "new" transmission they've been putting in those cars.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
After I posted above, I googled 'GTR clutch failures' and saw they changed (I guess electronically) the launch point from 4500 rpm down to 3000, I guess to decrease the likelihood of failure. There's also a bunch of recommended services to keep the transmission in good condition. I'll be honest, I don't think I'll ever own an exotic as the upkeep can be substantial (well, that and I drive quite conservatively, so I guess having an exotic for me is a waste).

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
After I posted above, I googled 'GTR clutch failures' and saw they changed (I guess electronically) the launch point from 4500 rpm down to 3000, I guess to decrease the likelihood of failure. There's also a bunch of recommended services to keep the transmission in good condition. I'll be honest, I don't think I'll ever own an exotic as the upkeep can be substantial (well, that and I drive quite conservatively, so I guess having an exotic for me is a waste).
They've actually changed the whole transmission for the 2012 model year. Launches at 4k rpm and they're now testing the 2013 model at sub-3 seconds to 60 mph. It'll launch 4 times consecutively, then stop working until you've driven over 1.5 miles to cool down the internal bits. And it doesn't void the warranty.

Took them a while, but it looks like they may have figured it out.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree, a lot of people don't factor in upkeep when making this kind of purchase. Then again some can afford it but I'm not in this category so I'll stick with the spyder.

·
Registered
754 Posts
An old boss once told me that people buy cars like they do their homes. The budget for the initial purchase and nothing more. He put it better when he said, "they have the money to get in the door but not enough to keep the damn lights on". Seems accurate enough.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
An old boss once told me that people buy cars like they do their homes. The budget for the initial purchase and nothing more. He put it better when he said, "they have the money to get in the door but not enough to keep the damn lights on". Seems accurate enough.
What's worse is people don't under stand the concept of mine when it's the bank that has the tittle or deed.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
House poor or car poor. The house usually appreciates while the car is all down hill. Unfortunately the car is hard to be without. Get what you need and if there is some play money left over satisfy what you want while keeping a reserve. Fortunately my realistic wants are not that expensive. My pipedream wants are quite different though, 1962 Lotus Elite that works and a 1950 ferrari 166mm barchetta and a large garage to keep them pretty and clean. I will stop drooling now.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
House poor or car poor. The house usually appreciates while the car is all down hill. Unfortunately the car is hard to be without. Get what you need and if there is some play money left over satisfy what you want while keeping a reserve. Fortunately my realistic wants are not that expensive. My pipedream wants are quite different though, 1962 Lotus Elite that works and a 1950 ferrari 166mm barchetta and a large garage to keep them pretty and clean. I will stop drooling now.
My uncle has a country place that no one knows about.:cool:

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts