MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these oem toyota Supra sidemarkers from tot performance. These are the light ones, i don't like tinted stuff. Clear and tinted clear are available on ebay, albeit not oem.

Tools needed:
Philips screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
10mm wrench or socket wrench
Box cutter, file, dremel, or anything that will cut soft plastic
Painters tape, masking tape, ect
wet & soapy rag
polishing compound (optional)
wax (optional)

Start by turning the steering wheel all the way to one side for more room. (doesnt matter which)

Remove this plastic snap with a small flathead screwdriver

Remove these 2 screws, underneath the bumper, with the philips or with the 10mm wrench

'Unclip' this from the bumper

That should free up the fender liner enough for you to muscle behind it

This part youll have to do blind. reach behind the bumper and just loosen the 2 nuts that hold the sidemarker on with your 10mm wrench

remove them by hand so you dont lose them.

Now the sidemarker will pop out

Take this time to clean up the area behind the marker. After i cleaned off the dirt, i took some polishing compound to the area, and a little wax to finish the job

unplug the old sidemarker by twisting the white socket counter clockwise. its a 1/4 turn release.

We need to modify the new sidemarker slightly. The 2 inside most bumps on the squares that hold the bolts need to be flattened. See picture below. You dont need to cut them off, just flatten them ever so slightly. If you look in the picture, you can see theres an extra ring of plastic on the bump. thats what must come off.

This is the hard part. The sidemarker lines up perfectly, however the socket goes back farther than the stock one. so we will have to cut some of the plastic away from the bumper, in a superfluous area, to make them fit. This picture shows you what you need to cut.

Now before you start cutting, you need to mask off this area. trust me, your tool will jump on you and you will ding your paint.

Start cutting the noted area into a crescent shape. take small amounts off at a time. You dont need to remove any from the top, bottom, or front. just the rear.

When you are test fitting the sidemarker, you will notice that theres an up or down gap. Dont worry about this, it will dissapear when we tighten the marker. When you can get the marker on all the way, you are done.

Fitting them is trial and error. But its about 1/2 an inch you need to remove. Here are pictures of my completed holes.

When youre finished, put the nuts back on, but dont overtighten them. Just hand tight with the wrench is good enough. with the marker secured, put the screws back into the fender liner. make sure you dont have any left over. Now repeat process for the other side, and youre done.

More modern and agressive shape, and compliments the lines of the spyder. no more bicycle reflector look.

on top of that they come from a Supra. Awesome. get them here http://www.shop.totperformance.com/MR-2-00-05_c3.htm

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,206 Posts
Thanks was looking at picking up the clear ones next month with my ebay bucks:cool:

·
Registered
217 Posts
i only just realised now after reading this thread that the USA spec mr2 seems to have the markers up the front like that... all the local ones in aus have them in the quarter panel behind the wheel rather than infront.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Great write-up. I think I might be following you on this. Very nice look.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Great detail in the write-up. Talk about a "for dummies" guide haha

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.