MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 2000 with 85k is making the dreaded "output shaft bearing growl" and as I decide whether to rebuild or buy a used transmission, I am wondering if certain years are more prone to this failure than other years.

How many others have had this failure and what YEAR is your car and how many MILES were on your car. I appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
23,067 Posts
I can sum it up for you and say that these transmission see normal failure rates like any other transmission on the market. It is different if you add lots of power for which the transmission is not designed for which is a no brainier.

If I were you I would skip the rebuild and find another good used transmission and be done with it.
Transmission failures are not unheard of but it's not particularly a popular thing to go wrong with these cars. Just make sure you use GL4 transmission fluid and it will serve you well.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
Mine was replaced just shy of 60,000 miles under warranty. 2001. I drive slower than your grandmother and don't abuse the car.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Do both. Buy a lightly used one, swap kt out, and then rebuild the one you pulled at your leisure. Rebuilding is alot less stressful when you aren't waiting for it to get your car moving, and a great way to learn the inner workings of your vehicle. I would take it apart before I ordered a rebuild kit or anything though, some are so far gone they just have to be scrapped. Keeping another transmission able to go on the road is also good for the community as a whole.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My 2002 daily driver has 178k. It's seen lot's of stop and go and little abuse. Original clutch and tranny. Like most other Toyota parts the tranny is pretty much bullet proof.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 5 speed puked out on me at 127k or so. I have a 2004 originally had LSD. I swapped in a 6 speed and it's all good now. Next step is a spare 6 speed and putting my original LSD in it.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
rebuild parts are getting expensive.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My 5 speed went dead at 110k miles and my friend's went dead at a little over a 100k miles.

I switched over to the 6-speed and have been happy since.

Rasheed

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine died at around 90k, I then bought a used one with supposedly about 50k and it died less than 10k miles later, I have since installed a brand new 6 speed. All in all, I had two 5 speed transmissions die in the same year and I have no reason to believe I did anything to cause it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your responses, keep em coming. I am leaning towards rebuilding mine as a "project". The Spyder is a second car for me and I "like" wrenching. I am apprehensive to purchase one from a recycler as it may fail as well (like Makaveli's). I figure if the rebuild goes well then it should be good for another 75k with the right GL4. If I had the $ I would road trip to MWR for one of their sweet 6sp LSDs...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine died at 98k bought the six speed from MWR. I was quoted over 2.5k for a rebuild. I guess if you rebuild it yourself it can be a lot less expensive, but I didnt have the knowledge or time to undertake that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mine died at 98k bought the six speed from MWR. I was quoted over 2.5k for a rebuild. I guess if you rebuild it yourself it can be a lot less expensive, but I didnt have the knowledge or time to undertake that.
I'll be following suit eventually and going with the same transmission setup. Probably about the time I go 2ZZ. Hoping that is next Fall.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine started going out at a little over 100k. I only had the car for a year, so I'm not sure if it was abused before I got it. I ended up selling the car, as is, to a guy who wanted a project car. I am no where near being mechanically inclined as I'd like to be and couldn't afford to replace due to being a poor college kid. So now I'm saving my pennies for normal, boring car. :(

Edit: it was a 2000.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine died at 90K. I bought the car at 78K, and didn't notice the noise until AFTER I bought it. Seeing as I got a good deal, and it was only on Craigslist for an hour, I doubt it would have made any difference in my decision anyway. Sounded like bearing noise to me.
I picked up a used tranny last summer, $400 (maybe $450?), supposed to have ~50K miles. Two weeks ago, I was surprised it made it home. Ungodly noises. i put the used one in, along with new clutch, pressure plate, and axle seals, and this time I used Redline MT90. The car is even funner than before. It is quieter, clutch is so easy that it almost feels like the clutch broke (maybe the little grease on the shaft so the throwout bearing slides easier?). It shifts like butter!
I may have made the transmission die sooner. When I initially heard the noise, I went and changed the fluid. I used 50% GL5, 50% Valvoline gear lube. Now I know better than to use GL5.
Others also claim that amsoil is a good lube too. Do your research- don't be like me and do it too late.
I hope to to a post mortem on my transmission, and I'll report on that if/when that happens.
I don't know if this can be blamed on Toyota. I'd give the PO a C- at best for maintenance, and then I added GL5.

UPDATE: I started to disassemble the transmission. I did find a few shards in the case cover (step 8 in the manual, pg 826), but I cannot get the distorted nut off the end of the shaft. I will most likely scrap the tranny with no official diagnosis.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bought mine with 126k. Seller claims that the engine and trans were replaced about 40k ago, though
no receipt exists for this claim :unsure:
Either way, currently it's running well

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine output shaft bearing failed at 103k. I had purchased car at 88k and changed trans fluid to Redline MT4 at 92k.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Mine died this weekend. It was expected because the input shaft bearing was getting a little noisy. 82000 miles. Boosted and driven very hard for ~30,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts