MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 that just ate the pre-cat:(. I am wanting opinions on whether I should do a swap or a rebuild? My local mechanic is only charging $45/hr and he is a Toyota guy so he knows what he's doing, however he's only worked on the Spyder only once. He says it's about 30 labor hours to rebuild plus parts. I've seen rebuild kits on ebay for $360 and up which puts me around $1,700 plus whatever machine shop charges there may be? My mechanic is estimating $3,000 max. Is that in the right ballpark??? What am I up against here?

:confused:Rebuild Questions:confused::
If you suggest I do the rebuild then how much should I expect to pay and where should I source the parts?

Is 30 labor hours reasonable?

What should I expect to be done at the machine shop?....when your Spyder eats the pre-cat material what will have to be machined and what's the usual cost???

What performance options should I do?

:confused:Swap Questions:confused::
Should I get used, or rebuilt shortblock or longblock? Pros - Cons

What are the expected costs of getting used, or rebuilt shortblock or longblock?

How many labor hours should I expect on a swap??

Your help with answers, resources and advice is greatly appreciated.^_^

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It is really annoying and not done to post the same question on four different sections of the board !

Please stop doing that !

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
The rebuild will be questionable and sounds expensive. You can source a low mileage 1zz engine from any number of Toyotas for less. Then you just have to pay for the installation. Depending on the source of the engine you may have the mechanic drill and tap a couple of holes for the axle carrier.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Toyota paid for part of my first engine failure (the dealership paid the rest under their own warranty) and they opted for buying a new short block over rebuilding mine even though it was more expensive, they just thought it left less opportunity for issues later. I'm no mechanic though thats just what they told me, I'll try to convince you to bite the 2zz bullet so don't listen to me too much ha ha.

-Spargo

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Yeah, at $1600 and change for a new, warranted shortblock from Toyota (plus gaskets and much less assembly labor), I don't see why anyone would rebuild a block back to stock specs.

Check Conicelli (partznet) or 1sttoyotaparts.com for pricing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input gentlemen. And sorry for the multiple posts on this topic. I am short on time and need answers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the input gentlemen. And sorry for the multiple posts on this topic. I am short on time and need answers.
If you don't mind me asking, How many miles were on your car? I understand that it varies, just curious. Good luck with your swap or rebuild. Sorry for the loss.

·
Registered
252 Posts
yeah i popped mine a month ago and i am currently doing a rebuild on a spare motor i got, it was about 1100 bucks total.
new .5 over pistons
new head
all new gaskets and seals
ect ect
but those are like "hook up prices"
but i am getting a after market oil pan, and a new clutch and a header and DP so add that too.
if you limited on resources and tech i would just source a nice JDM used motor and install it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts