MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm searching for a way to improve cruising quality of the 5 speed 2001 MR2 (US version). I have plenty of power after installing Rotrex.

The MWR's fifth gear set does not look as a good option as it lowers the RPM too little. On the other hand, C63 6-speed transmission from European MR2 or Celica looks to provide a lot more noticeable changes.

But... Is it possible to swap in C63 instead of a C56? Does anyone know what kind of modifications are required? Is MR2 C63 different from the Celica's one?

Tips are appreciated,
Oxy-

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
Im not sure about a C63 but if was bolted to a 2zz or 1zz in another car from the factory it should work in your car.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure about a C63 but if was bolted to a 2zz or 1zz in another car from the factory it should work in your car.
I found a couple of used 6 speed transmissions from 2ZZ-GE Celica and an interesting Corrola variant. The seller told me that in order to fit one into 1ZZ-FE some "axis" is needed. Comments are very welcome about what exactly is needed...

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Lots of celica 6-speed transaxles in use in Spyders. Off the top of my head, the only mods you need to do to it are:
relocate the shift selector bits to the other side of the transaxle, and buy or make a new selector shaft. (There's also an optional mod that I just installed -- a 'reverse lockout' bit).
The shaft and reverse lockout are available from LittleRocket or MonkeyWrench Racing. Info on the mods needed... you'll have to look in the library under the 2ZZ swap info.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The shaft and reverse lockout are available from LittleRocket or MonkeyWrench Racing. Info on the mods needed... you'll have to look in the library under the 2ZZ swap info.
I found one used 6 speed transmission, but it has a 4.x Final Drive - i.e. its 6th gear is not very longer than C56's 5th. But I was thinking whether the following would work:
  1. 6 speed transmission from Celica/Matrix with 4.x Final Drive
  2. Toyota OEM Final Drive Gears - C6X - 3.9:1
  3. MWR Shifter Shaft
  4. MWR Reverse Blockout
In other words, to convert that transmission's Final Drive to 3.9 like C63 (which I can't find) has.

BTW, is the Reverse Blockout a must? What are the risks if going without it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I found one used 6 speed transmission, but it has a 4.x Final Drive - i.e. its 6th gear is not very longer than C56's 5th. But I was thinking whether the following would work:
  1. 6 speed transmission from Celica/Matrix with 4.x Final Drive
  2. Toyota OEM Final Drive Gears - C6X - 3.9:1
  3. MWR Shifter Shaft
  4. MWR Reverse Blockout
In other words, to convert that transmission's Final Drive to 3.9 like C63 (which I can't find) has.

Thanks!
Find yourself a 2003 (or later) EU/UK MRs Roadster manual transmission:
It'll be 6-speed
It comes with the 3.941 final diff ratio
It comes with the reverse blockout
You won't need the shifter shaft
And as a bonus, it comes with a LSD!

·
Registered
7,777 Posts

Thanks!
Not at all. Many people do not use it. I drove for 18 months without it, then installed it last month.... and wish I had it from day one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Find yourself a 2003 (or later) EU/UK MRs Roadster manual transmission:
It'll be 6-speed
It comes with the 3.941 final diff ratio
It comes with the reverse blockout
You won't need the shifter shaft
And as a bonus, it comes with a LSD!
It seems, that only the UK version comes with 3.941 Final Drive (that's the C63) and I can't find one currently... The EU one seems to be C60 and comes with 4.529.
The thing about LSD is that I have a Kaaz one, with which I'm very happy, thus no other is needed...

Not at all. Many people do not use it. I drove for 18 months without it, then installed it last month.... and wish I had it from day one.
Please extend why? :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
In my case, 33 years of driving with "1" in the upper left caused me to start out in reverse once too many times for my liking. It was easier to change parts than change habits....
How long did it take you to erase the "3-on-the-tree" memory cells? Or was that before your time? But then that line about "old dogs" and "new tricks" comes to mind!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my case, 33 years of driving with "1" in the upper left caused me to start out in reverse once too many times for my liking. It was easier to change parts than change habits....
Please excuse my persistance: do I understand correctly, that if one goes without Reverse Blockout, then the reverse gear is to the left of the 1st one, but with no substantial "resistance" in the lever when pushing the shifter from neutral right to neutral left? If one installs it, the resistance between neutral left below 1st gear and neutral "more" left below R gear appears there?

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Please excuse my persistance: do I understand correctly, that if one goes without Reverse Blockout, then the reverse gear is to the left of the 1st one, but with no substantial "resistance" in the lever when pushing the shifter from neutral right to neutral left? If one installs it, the resistance between neutral left below 1st gear and neutral "more" left below R gear appears there?
There is spring resistance from the shifter, but for the most part it's just "more left than 1"

It's not a really big deal - let's face it, you're only shifting to 1st from a stop more or less. One alternative is to install a 'reverse light' inside the cockpit, so you can immediately tell if you;re in 1 or R. For me, though, this is just one less thing to deal with.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
How long did it take you to erase the "3-on-the-tree" memory cells? Or was that before your time? But then that line about "old dogs" and "new tricks" comes to mind!
Probably before my time -- I've been "four on the floor" (then five and now six) since the seventies.
When I was 19 I drove a delivery van with a column shifter. Truth be told, I don't think I ever really figured out the shift pattern, I just flailed away until I reached 2nd or 3rd and let the boss worry about the repairs later.

The real danger about being/becoming an old dog is forgetting the old tricks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts