MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my recently acquired third spyder, I am looking into replacing the stock power antenna. Options are:

1. Installing a glass mount antenna like in the spyder I had before this one
2. Doing a conversion to install the LT short antenna or similar
3. Making a switch enabling me to operate the antenna when radio is on.

1 and 2 should be fairly easy to do, but has anyone done the number 3 option before? Taking a dash blank and installing a switch should be fairly easy, trick is in the electronics I guess. How does the power antenna now when to go up/down? Is there a specific wire providing power to the antenna that might allow putting a switch in between? Or is there a much more complicated system behind this?

your insights are appreciated!

cheers, Anton

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Was het niet de blauwe draad ?

Search noob ! The answer is somewhere on this board !

p.s. use the window-lock-button.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Agreed, I still need to gain some experience with the search, up until now I mostly get 50-odd threads to any search... I guess that shows the amount of knowledge gathered here!

Anyway, thanks for the link, exactly what I was looking for! (and no, it wasn't the blue one, but the black one. figured that out already from another post here, just needed confirmation that cutting it would have desired effect)

·
Registered
782 Posts
, or only extend it a little so you can have crappy reception just like the shorty antenna provides.
Actually I installed the LT short antanna kit this winter and reception is surprisingly good. Not quite as good as the stock one but not far from it. Went on long trip this week-end allowing me to check it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Must be the colour of the car, I also have no complaints sing the short antenna.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have done this, it is dead simple.

All you need to do is find the antenna power wire, and route it through an on/off switch... tah dah!
I believe the wire is solid black, but don't hold me to that :huh:

I almost never use fm, but wanted to keep the functionality, and my HU sends the antenna up whether you use it or not; so I popped one of those switches with a red cover on it, and tell passengers it's for the ejection seat :lol:

edit: to clarify, the wire is just a low power circuit to signal the antenna. power on = antenna up

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have done this, it is dead simple.

All you need to do is find the antenna power wire, and route it through an on/off switch... tah dah!
I believe the wire is solid black, but don't hold me to that :huh:

I almost never use fm, but wanted to keep the functionality, and my HU sends the antenna up whether you use it or not; so I popped one of those switches with a red cover on it, and tell passengers it's for the ejection seat :lol:

edit: to clarify, the wire is just a low power circuit to signal the antenna. power on = antenna up
Same here...hardly use the radio, but it is nice to retain the function.
When I replaced the factory HU with the Clarion I currently have, the aerial only rises when you change the HU to the Tuner. On any other source - USB, CD, AUX - the aerial remains down. The HU has a Power Antenna wire specifically for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts