MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Gear Lube White Paper.pdf

Sorry if this is a repost. I find this interesting. Although mostly GL-5 75w-90 are tested, it does say a lot about the quality of the brands. It appears AMS came out on top. Redline was so and so. According to AMS, the difference between their GL-4 and GL-5 is that GL-4 has half the additives for extreme pressure. So technically they are very similar in terms of other additives and chemicals used. The results of the test backed up the claims about their products, including the specifications. I'll be using 1 bottle of AMS extreme pressure and 1 bottle of their GL-4 synthetic in the C60.

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Gear Lube White Paper.pdf

Sorry if this is a repost. I find this interesting. Although mostly GL-5 75w-90 are tested, it does say a lot about the quality of the brands. It appears AMS came out on top. Redline was so and so. According to AMS, the difference between their GL-4 and GL-5 is that GL-4 has half the additives for extreme pressure. So technically they are very similar in terms of other additives and chemicals used. The results of the test backed up the claims about their products, including the specifications. I'll be using 1 bottle of AMS extreme pressure and 1 bottle of their GL-4 synthetic in the C60.
You have to keep in mind that it can only be construed as a biased white paper even though the lab used was independent and certifiable.

However I can tell you from personal experience that the Amsoil GL4 is better then the Redline in every way especially cold performance.

·
Registered
638 Posts
However I can tell you from personal experience that the Amsoil GL4 is better then the Redline in every way especially cold performance.
i put redline MTL in my old honda civic. long story short it killed a bunch of the gears and seals in my transmission and got into my clutch. it was a disaster. mechanic confirmed it was because of the transmission fluid

·
Registered
23,072 Posts
i put redline MTL in my old honda civic. long story short it killed a bunch of the gears and seals in my transmission and got into my clutch. it was a disaster. mechanic confirmed it was because of the transmission fluid
MTL is too thin in my opinion. It should have been mixed with MT-90.
As far as the seals go it may have already been damaged from the last fluid used and now the Redline with it's strong ester component cleaned up what was blocking the leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts