MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going up to the Smokies to drive The Tail of The Dragon this weekend. This will be my first time there. Any suggestions on preparation , things I should do in the area? Just going by the seat of my pants. Any suggestions on local hotels or restaurants? I plan on taking plenty of pics.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,840 Posts
Make sure you do your usual maintenance checks before going. Oil, brake condition, tire condition and tire pressure should all be double checked. When you get there watch out for the Tennessee Highway Patrol which runs radar and patrols on the Dragon. Stay on your own side of the double yellow line and watch for oncoming traffic that doesn't. I have gone 3 years now and have had close calls with oncoming traffic crossing into my lane on every trip. Many people choose to stay at Fontana Lodge. It is nice but there are cheaper options near Robbinsville and the Dragon. Google search Tail of the Dragon lodging for other hotels and rentals.

Above all, be careful and have fun. I drive over eight hours to get there and it has always been worth it to me. Of course, I go to the SADAS events when other Spyderchat members are also there and that is at least half the fun.

Safe trip!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I'll probably ride the Dragon a few times and then check out some of the surrounding area as well. Yeah I checked the web and it looks like Robbinsville will be my best bet. I'm excited about going not just for the drive but to get away even for a few days. I hope it's top down weather. ?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I don't know your driving style, but I think it's always good advice not to drive past your normal limits. If there is a faster car behind you utilize one of the many pull offs to let them pass. Also, you've got to drive the Cherahola Skyway. It has some amazing long sweepers. When you get home you'll have an opportunity to purchase a cool photo of you and your car in motion from several pro photographers (killboy, US129 photos, etc...) that's where my current avatar came from. I have some pretty cool oversize photos of my cars on the walls of my man cave.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
If I had a couple weeks notice I wouldn't mind a day trip down. Only about 3 hrs each way for me. Kinda wanting to try out the DD on those roads. But we are only a few months away from the usual fall Meet time and I'm not expecting my Spyder to be done for it.

Anyway, good advice given so far and not much else to say.

·
Registered
351 Posts
i've always wanted to check it out, but I think I would lose my mind if I drove all the way from NYC to get there and then got stuck in traffic. Would be curious to hear what your experience is like when you get back.

A few times, I've driven through the night from NYC to the West end of NH 112 (Kancamagus Highway) right at sunrise and driven to the East end. It's a really awesome drive, and I've ever seen anything out but moose at that time.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,840 Posts
You have got to do it at least once. It is like driving an 11 mile long autox with banked turns. Traffic can be a bit of a problem on weekends. But if you go early in the morning or in the evening it is much less so. Also weekdays tend to be a lot less congested according to locals that can go then.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. I'm driving up from Jacksonville FL. About 8 hour drive. I thought I'd try to find a hotel in Robbinsville.
I figured I'd drive the Dragon a couple times first before doing it a little more aggressively. Thanks for the suggestion on the Cherahola Skyway. I do want to check out some of the other roads in the area. I'll be sure to post my experience when I get back. Heading out in about an hour.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439685035.296983.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439685078.764445.jpg

Two runs so far and it's a blast. Good weather and the traffic isn't too bad. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439685166.094340.jpg

Going back out tomorrow , hope I don't leave anything to be nailed up here.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,840 Posts
Jacksonville? I am only an hour south of you. Be careful up there. Next time maybe I will go with you.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
OMG i miss the Tail of the Dragon meets 2 much, one day ill have to make the drive from cali or something, however i dont miss all the traffic in the way, morning or night runs are the best, ive shown pics of US129 to some friends out here to show them what they are missing, However GMR is a close second to the dragon and with alot less traffic, havent been to moholland yet either, they say the snake part on that road is pretty technical !!

Im 2 jealous, have a blast and take a few corners for me!

rburton

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having a blast at Tail of the Dragon. However, I went back out this morning and all was well, drive out and back carving up the curves. On the way back to Robbinsville my CEL started flashing and it feels like it's in limp mode. I disconnected the battery to reset the cel and hopefully take it out of limp mode but no luck.
Any ideas? No one knows anything about MR2s here seems like. The closest Toyota dealer is in Asheville. I'm planning on limping there in the morning.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took it to a garage and they red the codes. 02 sensor and emissions leak. All codes it's been throwing all along.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna pull the cover off the valve cover and see if a coil pack or something has worked its way loose. I hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No good on the coil pack wiring. And to add insult to injury I broke the cover on the valve cover while tightening everything down.
Glad I had a good time while it lasted.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts