MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading these forums for about 3 years now - ever since I test drove a spyder fell in love and decided to buy one. Well I went car shopping about 2 years ago with the intention of buying a spyder, found a C5 vette for a steal and bought that. Little bit of an impulse buy. I still love it and am itching for salt to get off the roads so I can drive it again. The handling is amazing, the speed is intoxicating, but I find myself still longing for the driving pleasure of something lighter and more nimble.

So I'd like to hear what spyderchat folks would do if they were me.

1. Keep the vette. It fits me and I can buy groceries with a passenger.

2. Buy a spyder. I love driving it but I can't fit in it comfortably for long trips. I'm too big.

3. Rx8. Just as much fun as a spyder(I think) it fits me perfectly. I really love everything about this car but I'm not a mechanic and I need reliability. I wouldn't be afraid of a new rotary engine because I know how to take car of them. I'm afraid of a 04-06 engine that was used by someone else who might not know what they're doing. I contemplated buying the cheapest rx8 I could find with the highest miles. With the intention of getting the most I could out of the engine and buying a brand new crate engine for it when it fails. I don't think this makes financial sense though, especially since I'd be paying someone else to do an engine swap.

4. 350z. Really no driving pleasure for me for some reason. It was pretty quick but not as quick as a vette and just real harsh handling. There was no smoothness when you went into a corner. It felt like more of a muscle car than a mustang. Not what I'm looking for.

5. Miata. Can't even get in and close the door.

6. S2k. Never got a chance to drive one. Do you think I can fit? I'm 6'4" 300. More or less room than a spyder?

7. Satiac Skystice. Same questions as S2k.

Any other suggestions? I wanna hear your experience.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The only 2 I can comment on are the ones I have owned.

Rx8- Very good little car. My husband bought a lightning yellow gt brand new in 04. Handling is awesome, but we were always yearning for more power. We threw a turbo on there, and it became the perfect car, untill we got bad gas. If you know rotaries, then you know they can't handle detonation like a piston engine. Mpg sucks. The pro about buying now is that it is so cheap for what you get. They have great interiors, you get LSD on the gt model, the rotary is 9k revving fun, and it's a usable car (4ish doors and trunk).

Mr2- I owned a bone stock 02 black and tan. I loved it, but wanted more power (again). I sold it and bought an 02 that had been turbocharged. Now, I'm happy with my car, as I have the speed and handling that I desired. One thing though, my spyder is my toy. I have 2 other cars for daily driving. There is very little storage in the car, and it is a perfect extra car. If you could swing it, I would say keep your vette if you decide to buy a spyder. I know a lot of people will come on here and flame me for that, but I think it's true. It keeps the spyder nice.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
A tall guy on here said the mr2 is more comfy than the s2k...

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
300 pounds and the spyder is not a good fit! You'd be so tight in there, and if you had leather seats and farted, well...it would probably send you airborne!

But seriously, I stay away from any small car you have size issues with! In my opinion 300 pounds on one side of 2100 pound car might effect the handling in some why.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Regardless of the other choices available, the most important thing is that you really enjoy the car, before the displacement/power, suspension/handling etc. Once, the honeymoon is over, you're left with a good car with some things that bother you.

Maybe I'm becoming an old man, but I'm finding that a part of being happy is removing the many minor annoyances in life... the drips, squeaks, rattles that don't drive us crazy by themselves, but add up to the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back". I spend conscious time removing/fixing the things that annoy me... but I digress. Rambling... also a sign of becoming an old man.

If you can't fit into a Spyder or Miata for a long trip, you'll always think "I wish I could take my car on long trips."

If you buy a mustang from the 80's or 90's, you'll always think "I wish I could drive it, rather than it leaking all over my driveway."

Bottom line, if you've got the vette, and you love it, keep it. If you want it to handle better, I'm sure there's suspension mods/bracing for it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try a Mini Cooper S.
Will have to give one a try. It would probably go along with my vette though. I was thinking about replacing my 2 beaters, once they're completely undrivable with a mazda2 or something else in the same category as a mini cooper.

Judging by the other comments, this seems like the best option. I was kinda hoping for a reply like "if you like the rx-8 but want better reliability, give this a try." Or "if you want more room in a spyder, try this" But it looks like I've considered everything in my price range.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
300 pounds and the spyder is not a good fit! You'd be so tight in there, and if you had leather seats and farted, well...it would probably send you airborne!

But seriously, I stay away from any small car you have size issues with! In my opinion 300 pounds on one side of 2100 pound car might effect the handling in some why.
Lol!

With the spyder, it's right on the border of being too small. I can get in it and I'm perfectly comfortable for the 15 minute test drive but I'm pretty sure it would be a problem on any trip longer than an hour. I almost bought one from a guy who was slightly larger than me. He said it's fine, but I think that was the reason he was selling.

I had absolutely no issues with either the 350z or rx8 as for as room and with the vette, I can fit somebody on my lap and still be comfortable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There's a difference between "fitting" and good driving position. at 6'3" I fit in the spyder, however it's not an ideal fit. Aftermarket seats will take care of it, a hard top will be nice as long as I'm dreaming, increases practicality too.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've looked at and driven almost all of these cars before settling on the Spyder.

Agreed. I took an S2K for a test drive about a year ago. I'm 6'1" and I found the S2K cockpit with stock seats too cramped to stretch my legs comfortably for a long drive.

If you can't fit into a Spyder or Miata for a long trip, you'll always think "I wish I could take my car on long trips."
Absolutely. I often wish I had just a bit more storage space when my GF and I take 2-3 day road trips. I've got the Spyder-specific luggage and all.. but it's a very tough sell. We're more likely to leave the Spyder at home and take the G37x or the Solara.

the solstice/Sky is a POS it is a fat underpowered not well balanced turd.
I've spent some time on SolsticeForum.com. From what I've read, most of those cars have had significant quality control issues.. and with both Pontiac and Saturn dealerships joining the ranks of Oldsmobile and AMC dealerships, you're on your own.

4. 350z. Really no driving pleasure for me for some reason. It was pretty quick but not as quick as a vette and just real harsh handling. There was no smoothness when you went into a corner. It felt like more of a muscle car than a mustang. Not what I'm looking for.
I test drove a couple of 350z cars. In general, I thought they were pretty comparable to the Vette in terms of comfort and handling, but not nearly as quick.. but the 350z also gives up 2.2 liters of engine displacement to the Vette?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you end up wanting a Mini Cooper S, my co worker is going out of country for a few months and is going to sell his. It's a 2003 with Winter and Sport package. 79k miles and is asking 10K. I don't know any specific details...It's just what he told me.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Absolutely true! I tried the S2000 before I bought the Spyder- I'm not small either- when I bought it, I was/ am 6'1" and 270 lbs (I shaved off 25 lbs or so since then), and the console of the S2000 will enroach on your leg room and the seats were narrow (for me) so that I was sitting on the bolsters, not the seat cushion.

Keep the Vette- you own it, and like others have said, as you did, you're kind of tall for the Spyder. As for me, The Spyder is damn comfortable for me, even on a long trip (like 600 miles from NJ to SC) and I can get in and exit very quickly.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
the solstice/Sky is a POS it is a fat underpowered not well balanced turd.
I had wondered about them. See quite a few on the road, not too bad looking. I've never seen a Pontiac that got good gas mileage though.

Never been much on turds.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I had wondered about them. See quite a few on the road, not too bad looking. I've never seen a Pontiac that got good gas mileage though.

Never been much on turds.

Also, extremely tight inside- I sat in one at an auto show- I knew right away it wasn't for me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
How about a Porsche Boxster?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
How about a Porsche Boxster?
I love Boxsters and Caymans- having said that, the repair bills on Porsches, especially used ones, can be quite high. Buying one is just admission to the club, then, unless you have a pristine example, expect to lay out some significant cash for repairs. A friend of mine had one, and even maintenance costs were pretty high.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts