MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've got my Tanabe front strut tower bar listed on E bay right now if anyone is interested. It's only been on my Spyder for a couple of months and I'm putting the frunk lid and all of the plastic back. I don't want to cut into the plastic for the "mod". I'm trying to keep all of my mods reversible so this one's up for grabs if anyone is interested. Free Shipping! :)

Thanks everyone and stay cool.

2001SpyderLove

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Hey everyone,
I've got my Tanabe front strut tower bar listed on E bay right now if anyone is interested. It's only been on my Spyder for a couple of months and I'm putting the frunk lid and all of the plastic back. I don't want to cut into the plastic for the "mod". I'm trying to keep all of my mods reversible so this one's up for grabs if anyone is interested. Free Shipping! :)

Thanks everyone and stay cool.

2001SpyderLove
Can you post the item number or a link to the listing?

- Rich

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
I don't want to cut into the plastic for the "mod".
You can't. The Tanabe (Sustec) bar blocks the spare tire bin and prevents it from opening. That's why I removed mine and went with the Cusco instead. The Tanabe is better for people who ripped all the frunk plastics out.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
You can't. The Tanabe (Sustec) bar blocks the spare tire bin and prevents it from opening. That's why I removed mine and went with the Cusco instead. The Tanabe is better for people who ripped all the frunk plastics out.
I'm tempted to pick this up.

I had passed on the front bar because I didn't want to cut up the frunk plastics, but I saw one of the other local NNJ members last week with the Tanabe bar mounted. Since the bar sits in front of the brackets, he was able to mount it by making two small cuts into the frunk surround in front of the top of the struts. He removed the spare tire bin lid, but still uses the spare tire bin for storage.

- Rich

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just got mine last week - Tanabe F&R STB's - and am planning to put them on this week. However, I wasnt under the impression that there were any other serious modifications necessary to complete the install. Whats the deal? And whats the easiest thing to do (modification-wise) to get it done?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I just got mine last week - Tanabe F&R STB's - and am planning to put them on this week. However, I wasnt under the impression that there were any other serious modifications necessary to complete the install. Whats the deal? And whats the easiest thing to do (modification-wise) to get it done?
For the benefit of someone new who might come across this thread, the strut tower bars mount to the top of the struts.

The rear bar installation is a simple bolt-on modification, because the tops of the struts are exposed. Unfortunately, the front bar requires you to either remove or cut the plastic cover surrounding the spare tire bin as it covers the tops of the struts. The Tanabe bar sits in 'front' of the mounting brackets, so it's a much smaller cut than the TRD, CHE, or Cusco bars that mount directly 'between' the mounting brackets.

In addition, you cannot open the spare tire bin with most of the strut bars in place. Some people (Kalva, for example), have customized the spare tire bin lid by cutting it down and adding a piano hinge to continue to be able to open and close the spare tire bin lid.

I'll try to take a picture on Wednesday night to explain how the Tanabe is different.

·
Registered
16,748 Posts
The Tanabe bar sits in 'front' of the mounting brackets, so it's a much smaller cut than the TRD, CHE, or Cusco bars
If you examine the cuts shown in the Cusco install "how to" thread, they are extremely small - each one about the size of a stick of gum. The Cusco requires no modification to the bin lid and the lid remains in place and functional. The Tanabe requires removal of the lid entirely or the fabrication of a secondary hinge.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If you examine the cuts shown in the Cusco install "how to" thread, they are extremely small - each one about the size of a stick of gum.
That's what I was trying to say. The TRD strut bar and Corky's strut bar are one piece and can't be mounted to the strut tops and threaded through the plastic easily. I liked the aesthetics of the minimal cuts in the frunk surround plastic that were required for the Tanabe much better than the big cuts required for the TRD/Corky's bar. I thought the Cusco / CHE bars required those bigger cuts to chop off the plastic over the strut mount, as well. But, I understand you can mount almost any three piece bar (i.e., 2 mounts, 1 bar) under the plastic, make small cuts, and thread the bar through..

The Cusco requires no modification to the bin lid and the lid remains in place and functional. The Tanabe requires removal of the lid entirely or the fabrication of a secondary hinge.
Good to know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts