MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add some interior lighting to the car that behaves like the dome light (ie. you open door, lights turn on).

I was reading a tutorial on Mr2ROC about a rear-view mirror light install. How To: FTO Rear View Mirror Lights

In his post he mentions: "The [dome] fuse is the 1st red one under the top blue one on the right hand side.

1. Would this be the same wiring/fuse for our US Spyders?
2. Would there be an issue if I connected the lighting (serial), to the same circuit? Or is it more complicated than that?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes, that's the correct fuse. It's labeled "DOME" just above it.

To make any additional lighting operate exactly like the dome light, you'll have to take your power from across the dome light bulb. It shouldn't be difficult, but it will entail removing the interior windshield trim plastic.
Or you can tap into one or both of the door jam switches which was easier for me. I have footwell lighting for both sides tapped into the driver side jam. Only comes on with the driver door but that's all I needed since it's me that is usually opening a door.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To make any additional lighting operate exactly like the dome light, you'll have to take your power from across the dome light bulb. It shouldn't be difficult, but it will entail removing the interior windshield trim plastic.
Do you mean running wires from the actual dome light? So tapping the power at the fuse (under the steering wheel) will cause me to lose that functionality (although it would still be powered)?

Or you can tap into one or both of the door jam switches which was easier for me. I have footwell lighting for both sides tapped into the driver side jam. Only comes on with the driver door but that's all I needed since it's me that is usually opening a door.
This sounds reasonable. Are there only 2 wires (+, and ground) that connect to the door jam? If so, can I simply tap this power and run my ground at any spot on the car?

Also, where did you end up putting the lighting?

Thanks for the help guys - I have a strip of 5050SMD LED's that break of into sections of 3.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
If you tap into the door wiring it won't be on a switch of course, and will only work when the door is open. I am using a clear dome light cover (a Mitsubishi part number) and the difference is significant.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some good points.

If I used the door jam, the added lights will behave like the dome light when the door opens/closes - but would need a separate switch/power if I wanted to control simple on/off of the added lighting

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, depending upon where you tap into the door switch wiring.
It could happen that the lights would come on only when the door whose switch you used is opened (see post #3). To make the light door-independent, you'll need to tap in where the wire enters the combination gauge cluster.
That's a Red with White Stripe wire going to Pin #18 on connector B.
I have no idea which of the three connectors is "Connector B".
Connectors = fuse boxes where all the wires meet? I might be worth it for me to figure that out exactly which one it is. If figure if I'm going to have courtesy lighting it may as well work for the passenger door too.. and I won't have to wire 2 different doors

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Yes, that's the correct fuse. It's labeled "DOME" just above it.

So that is how you get the wire from the dome light . . . By removing interior windshield plastic? Its that terribly difficult? I would like to do this type of mod . . . Add interior lights that turn on or off when doors open and close, or by switching dome light switch. Anyone have a write-up with photos of how to do this? Any chance OP would be willing to take photos and write a step by step instruction manual for the mechanically challenged, such as myself? Removing interior windshield plastics sounds really scary, for me. Thanks in advance, should you be willing to take on doing a write-up on this.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Ideally I would want my foot-well light to operate like those in modern cars:
- On at 100% with dome light (door open or dome turned on)
- On at 50% when low beams are turned on.

Sounds like this is done easiest just using two separate circuits...even separate foot-well LEDs if you don't want to think too hard.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I tapped into my dome light for my leds in the foot well....tho its a ghetto setup. I basiclly ran 2 wires up the dash, thru the pillars and literally just have it hooked up to the power and ground. The lights lit up the same as the dome light. Though there might be easier set up..its done and I dont want to mess with it again. :lol:

PS I didnt remove anything...just use a CC to tuck the wire in the pillar...might had removed the sunvisor to route the wires but other than that its pretty simple.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
PS I didnt remove anything...just use a CC to tuck the wire in the pillar...might had removed the sunvisor to route the wires but other than that its pretty simple.
this mod is sounding more and more do-able for someone like me . .. Thanks. So it is pretty easy to fish the wires through the a-pillars? What is a "CC"? What about this is ghetto? Sounds pretty smart to me. Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience. I really value your input.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts