MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my Cobra exhaust but I don't feel like paying $650+ and shipping from the UK. I found that my muffler is a Magnaflow and appears to be the same "Camarro" design the Team Moon uses so that mixed with its terrific reviews have me looking at their products.

I know I want to go dual but I haven't had an opportunity to hear the aluminized vs stainless, is there a difference in tone? Living in Oregon where they don't allow salt on the roads can I save $206 and get the aluminized steel or is the extra cost really worth it?

Thanks in advance for any answers I found a lot of threads on the exhaust but no real comparison between material choices, from general research people see to regard aluminized as a fools choice saying you basically get more years per dollar spending the extra money on stainless but I thought I'd see if this specific situation is any different based on the grades of metal Team Moon might be using.

-Spargo

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Right from the TM guy, Alan's mouth.

If your car sees salt and winter, SS. If not save the extra and go aluminum.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Right from the TM guy, Alan's mouth.

If your car sees salt and winter, SS. If not save the extra and go aluminum.
One of the byproducts of combustion is water. So a SS muffler will always last much longer than steel, although aluminized steel does pretty good, although they tend to rust out at welds and seams. If you live near an ocean, salt in the air and high humidity is as damaging as winter and salt used for de-icing.

Personally, I have replaced too many non-ss mufflers over the years, so I would pay the extra and get SS.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information, I'll start saving for the smart choice - SS all the way. I'm also planning on getting a high-temp powder coat to give me the best odds against my old nemesis rust

-Spargo

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I would go with SS, as that will hold up better to off road excursions. :lol:

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just put the Team Moon on my PGP.
When I called & asked about SS or aluminized I was told if limited salt exposure & how high the muffler sits in the body then aluminized steel would meet my needs.
Sound wise they say both are the same & I love the sound of mine!

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
I just put the Team Moon on my PGP.
When I called & asked about SS or aluminized I was told if limited salt exposure & how high the muffler sits in the body then aluminized steel would meet my needs.
Sound wise they say both are the same & I love the sound of mine!
Sound wise they are slightly different. The SS sounds a little nicer.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Dev - I was just going by what the TM guys told me.
I'm glad I took your advice on this exhaust.
The TM guys are actually Mazda people and probably have not taken the time to judge the difference. I have been to enough meets to hear both and the TMSS sounds different especially on deceleration. I think it has to do with a bit more density which changes the pitch.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
my stainless has over 90k with no problems and the drone goes away over time it seems to mellow with age lol go team moon or go home

·
Registered
23,066 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Even without a spyder (any longer) I have to pipe in (pun of intent) and say: Team Moon! I went SS dual because I wanted the best for the spyder...even without worry about corrosion from roads (never drove in adverse weather) .... and after spending a multitude of hours pouring over every Team Moon/ or Exhaust post I could find on SC, I decided to go TM SS Dual.. The ss may be a bit heavier .... but nothing compared to the water-heater I removed as installed by the factory.

Finally, Team Moon! I wished I had installed that exhaust 2 years before...I enjoyed every minute I had it.... even switched the radio off in order to listen!

It will be hard to compare any new sports-car I aquire with the quality I enjoyed from the Team Moons.

scott in Colorado

·
Registered
593 Posts
Contact Alan or Charlie at 770-859-9643 or [email protected]
Orders must be placed by Credit Card (Visa, Master Card, or Discover) directly through Alan or Charlie at Team Moon.

hth...

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I have a TM dual aluminized.I bought in to the hype about how great they are and got one.All I'm saying is this exhaust may not be for everyone.The drone between 2-3 on the rpms is annoying to me.I got a baffle for the drivers side and now it sounds better and no drone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts