MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering a Team Moon exhaust, but my main apprehensions are concerning it being too loud and/or droning.

Concerning the loudness, has anyone compared the single to the dual exit? Is the dual significantly louder? How loud is this exhaust when cruising along at low revs?

Also, is it true that the "drone" associated with the TM is more noticeable with the single vs. the dual (or vice-versa)?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
416 Posts
If it's your daily driving, tm might not be for
you. It's my weekend driving, so I enjoy it everytime I get the chance. Best mod I've done so far.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should probably add that it's a stock 1ZZ, with Che/Ebay headers and stock downpipe. Not really a daily-driver, more of a twice-weekly commuter and weekend warrior.

Another consideration is noise regulations on trackdays - does the TM have problems here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it's your daily driving, tm might not be for
you. It's my weekend driving, so I enjoy it everytime I get the chance. Best mod I've done so far.
Why not for a daily driver? And if not tm, what other exhaust would be recommended for a dd?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Mines a DD and I love the TM sound. A little drone, but not as bad as my Duramax with an open 4" exhaust!

I have heard a TM with a PPE header and cat delete and it sounds sweet, that may have a tiny bit my drone...

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
I should probably add that it's a stock 1ZZ, with Che/Ebay headers and stock downpipe. Not really a daily-driver, more of a twice-weekly commuter and weekend warrior.

Another consideration is noise regulations on trackdays - does the TM have problems here?

Thanks!
Not loud at all with the factory cat. Once you change out the stock cat then it gets loud and does not sound good at all and this is why you get people that just don't understand the nature of this wonderful exhaust and end up screwing it up.

Forget trackdays, I measured the dBs on mine when I had the 1ZZ and it was well within in legal limits for the street.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for clarifying. So how about the notorious drone of the TM? Is it endemic to all TM species (alu + stainless, single, dual)? Or is it associated with cat-deletes and other exhaust mods?

·
Registered
22,972 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. So how about the notorious drone of the TM? Is it endemic to all TM species (alu + stainless, single, dual)? Or is it associated with cat-deletes and other exhaust mods?
It is perfectly fine to delete the pre-cats either by using a Che header or gutting them. PPE header is a big no because it makes the car sound horrible.

As long as you keep your factory main cat and do not alter anything else it should not drone.
I get PMs form people that tell me I was right about it not droning and they were more then satisfied with the sound. The biggest problem with this exhaust is the owner who messes up this simple combo and then comes on the board to complain about it.
If you like that classic old school roadster sounds this is the exhaust you are looking for. Everything else sounds like blah.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
O.P.

I JUST added TM stainless duals after two years of waiting due to trepidation about the same issues you mention... loudness and drone. NEITHER was an issue for me. (ME: stock intake, gutted precats, stock down pipe, stock cat and TM SS Duals) (I am one of the people who PM'd Dev and thanked him for his clarity of advice on this great exhaust)

I love this exhaust and wish I had done it when I first got the car. My brother drove it last weekend and was impressed... and he is looking at purchasing a ferrari right now. I just spent about two weeks reading every team moon post I could (history and search) and would advise you to listen to the advice on the componets. IF you get the wrong combination (catless/ certain intakes as mentioned in the above posts) you will not like the result. I noticed that over the years, people on this forum were advised exactly as you have been regarding the combination of componets, disregarded the advise and hated the end result. I have heard a few examples of this noise on youtube. Obnoxious and entirely too loud.

Set up correctly, TM = a pleasant, cool, evening at Red Rocks Ampetheatre listening to the London Philharmonic, and knowing you can stomp your right foot and have ACDC bust onto the stage blaring out For Those About to Rock at any given moment. ^_^

·
Registered
739 Posts
I completely agree with DEV.

I have LR 2zz header, Che downpipe (CATless) and Team moon duals. The sound is amazing but definitely not for a daily driver. It drones and it is loud but when I take the car out every now and then, it puts a smile on my face.

Keep it simple like High_Colorado and you will be happy.

Good luck
Rasheed

·
Registered
416 Posts
O.P.

Set up correctly, TM = a pleasant, cool, evening at Red Rocks Ampetheatre listening to the London Philharmonic, and knowing you can stomp your right foot and have ACDC bust onto the stage blaring out For Those About to Rock at any given moment. ^_^
Couldn't have describe better than this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. Has anyone had experience of both the single and dual versions? If the single version is simply a slightly quieter, cheaper version of the dual, then I'm tempted to go down that route, as the aesthetic difference doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Took my first Team Moon exhaust vids today; this is one I am putting up on youtube, so it has some stills and a sound track (sorry) but the video is in the middle (For the exhaust video skip to 1:05):

1 - 18 of 18 Posts