MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, right now I have a 300zx and an oldschool 200sx. I love smaller cars. Im a big guy though so I am concerend about room. Im 6'6 so I would love to hear some of the "bigger" owners chime in. No offence to you "normals" haha I keed I keed.

what do you guys think as far as power, "get up and go", handling? any winter drivers in here? Colorado (see "Drivers") can be unforgiving in the winter. I drive my 02" civic in the snow at high speeds, but thats a civic....

And as far as model year: which year or generation is more mod friendly?
I have been seeing a few 02-04's for sale that start anywhere from 4-5k on craigslist. But to look at dealers, the same model years jump up to 9-10k.

For the ones that do the engine swaps, how much do you have into yours and is the difference noticeable? I mean not from the "yeah its faster" perspective, but from the "I have MORE useable power" perspective.

anyways Hi I'm Greg and I hope to be a future Spyder owner!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another Z owner! Your name actually seems familiar from the other forums 3zc? Anyway if you fit in the Z you will fit in the spyder. The Z does better in the snow than the spyder as well if that says anything to you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha! yes I am on 3zc, and my user name is the same.

I have never driven the Z in the snow, just because drivers here suck! Ive been flying down the road at 80 in the snow and people try to follow me. Ive had to stop out of guilty concience and pull some of the "followers" out of the ditches and revines.
I do love the way I fit into the Z! but right now she is being so temperamental that I need a DD while I get her up to par.

Out of curiosity for everybody. Has anyone ever thought about doing a scion swap (2az-fe) ?

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
I am 6'2" 205LB and fit fine in a 00 hardtop Spyder
I have one son that is 6'7" 215LB and he says he can drive it fine
I have another son who is 6'4" 250LB and he is not comfortable in the car. His knees and lower thighs are too close to the steering wheel.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I have another son who is 6'4" 250LB and he is not comfortable in the car. His knees and lower thighs are too close to the steering wheel.
Where the hell does your family get it's drinking water from?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This might sound weird, but were they always tall for their ages? The doctors keep on telling me that my son will probably end up being around 6'4".

·
Registered
989 Posts
Where the hell does your family get it's drinking water from?
Exactly what i was thinking!!!

what do you guys think as far as power, "get up and go", handling? any winter drivers in here? Colorado (see "Drivers") can be unforgiving in the winter. I drive my 02" civic in the snow at high speeds, but thats a civic....
Power.. If your looking for a car that will out run everything on the road, this is not the car for you. This car handles great in dry weather. I have had no issues in the rain, at all. Snow, is iffy.. Don't drive fast if you do and make sure your tires have some crazy tread.

If you choose to get a spyder, don't worry about the power. The handling of this car is unlike anything else. The power this car has is more than sufficient for some back road fun, and will even give most cars on the road a run for their money(if you are experienced and can shift/launch fast). The recommendation of most will be to enjoy the spyder for what it is until you have a full grasp of how this car handles.

And as far as model year: which year or generation is more mod friendly?
I have been seeing a few 02-04's for sale that start anywhere from 4-5k on craigslist. But to look at dealers, the same model years jump up to 9-10k.
For mods, it doesn't matter the year. Almost all of the parts will work from 00-07..

For mods, do suspension, the basic intake/headers/exhaust, and get some sort of engine management on there. DON'T WORRY about other engine mods, next to no gains to be had.
OH and TAKE OUT THE PRECATS if they aren't out. These mods will shed new light into the car.
For mods/parts, go to monkeywrenchracing or twosrus

·
Registered
344 Posts
Height: I've had tall people (>6 feet) sit in the car and they seem to do fine, but their knees get close to the dashboard even with the seat all the way back. Definitely depends on how much of your height is in your legs or your trunk. The best way to find out is to try one if you can find one.

Snow: Put a set of good snow tires on and this car becomes unstoppable. MR traction + RWD controllability=instant rally car. Just don't overcook it, and practice in an empty parking lot first.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,852 Posts
At the risk of a thread jack. I am 6'2" as stated. Mother is 5'11".

This might sound weird, but were they always tall for their ages? The doctors keep on telling me that my son will probably end up being around 6'4".
The oldest one (now 30) was always thin but not especially tall until his sophomore year. He went from 5'7" as a freshman to 6'3" by mid year as a soph. The younger one was always short and athletic. He is now 21. When he was young he was among the smallest and fastest in his class and at football. Same thing, during sophomore year grew from 5'4" to 6'3" and 205LB. Then he started lifting and went up to 250LB. He actually may be around 240LB now because he is trying to lean out.

OK, back to our program, now in progress.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Height: At 6'3" I fit. Hard tops offer more head room. Although I do fit, my drivers view is angled to far downward rather than horzontal. The top of the windshield frame is in direct line with my forehead with all but the most extreme driving positions, set raked way back etc., The curvature of the soft top (more so with a hard top) is what allows me to fit. The seat can be raised and lowered but it's more of a piviot tilt at the rear section rather than a true raise and lower function i.e., lowering the seat exacerbats the thigh and calf angles. I'm unaware of any mods to lower the seat height over all, other than replacing the entire seat. Perhaps someone else knows.
In the end there is a difference between fitting and the ideal driving position.
Power: It's sufficent, well balanced car, absolutely love it. However...do wish for a bit more even though it's unnecessary in most conditions for day to day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I should explain the "power" thing so I don't sound like a teenager.
More what I mean by power is: How is the power, within its limits. Dang this is harder than I thought....
I have driven some rental cars lately trying to get a feel for what I Want to make my DD.
Some of them were gutless all around. The Versa, was the worst of all. Id hit the gas and be waiting and waiting and.....ooops there goes a lady with a zimmer-frame (walker). The 2012 Focus had power, but of course its TBW....so even then there was some waiting, and the power was there but you had to coax the trans into giving it to you...oh and its a ford, so I'm still waiting for the big dissapointment.

Seems like the pre-cat failing is a thing of the millenium the Sentra I'm getting the engine from for the 200 has the same issues. Cube, Mini,and some other have the same issue.

I'm not looking for a race car, I have the 200sx for that. I think the 2zz swap will be more than enough for what I want The Mr-S for and then some. I,m still curious about the Scion swap only because it has a supercharger kit that's bolt on, and if you have ever experiences a well balanced car that's supercharged you know how much more all around fun it is than a turbo.

Im going to go out in search of one to sit in over the next few days. I'm sure there are some tricks available to help work around the height thing.

@Yzoo7: They started grow'n em big in my generation. But this past generation and the new one are a whole different ballgame. Im 6'6 as I said and there are an abundance of teenagers that at least come to my shoulders....and I'm talking 15 and 16 year olds.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I guess I should explain the "power" thing so I don't sound like a teenager.
More what I mean by power is: How is the power, within its limits. Dang this is harder than I thought....
I have driven some rental cars lately trying to get a feel for what I Want to make my DD.
Some of them were gutless all around. The Versa, was the worst of all. Id hit the gas and be waiting and waiting and.....ooops there goes a lady with a zimmer-frame (walker). The 2012 Focus had power, but of course its TBW....so even then there was some waiting, and the power was there but you had to coax the trans into giving it to you...oh and its a ford, so I'm still waiting for the big dissapointment.

Seems like the pre-cat failing is a thing of the millenium the Sentra I'm getting the engine from for the 200 has the same issues. Cube, Mini,and some other have the same issue.

I'm not looking for a race car, I have the 200sx for that. I think the 2zz swap will be more than enough for what I want The Mr-S for and then some. I,m still curious about the Scion swap only because it has a supercharger kit that's bolt on, and if you have ever experiences a well balanced car that's supercharged you know how much more all around fun it is than a turbo.

Im going to go out in search of one to sit in over the next few days. I'm sure there are some tricks available to help work around the height thing.

@Yzoo7: They started grow'n em big in my generation. But this past generation and the new one are a whole different ballgame. Im 6'6 as I said and there are an abundance of teenagers that at least come to my shoulders....and I'm talking 15 and 16 year olds.

A stock 1zz spyder has enough pep for a daily. It rides nice, and overall is comfortable for me (5'10") hand the hubby (6'1") I think your build is more important than height for the car. A wider person may not be as comfortable as a slender to average size. I loved my stock spyder, I never drove it in the winter, and my turbo spyder definitely isn't driven in anything but nice weather. I would figure in CO something with AWD would be a better daily.

Off topic: I have to buy my son new jeans every few months because the old ones become capri pants lol the problem with this is that most kid's sizes don't separate waist size from length. So, to get longer jeans I have to buy them with a bigger waist, my son is very fit (he is rocking some abs for a 6yr old), I'm about ready to buy him suspenders lol :lol:

·
Registered
989 Posts
You can do a 2zz swap and get a S/C for that.. as well as the 1zz... But then your going to face the burden of installing it and the modifications required..

For that little bit of power, you will be better off going with a 1zz turbo build. These engines are a good size for a smaller turbo. You will have minimal lag. power wise, you could be looking between 210-240 reliably. YZ is right around 225.

Do a little bit of searching.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Relative height:
- It is easier to fit in this car than any car of similar size (e.g. the BMW Z3 is smaller).
- At 6"2 I had more problems in Japanese economy size family cars than this car.

And as stated, a hard top gives an extra ~1"
Hurry and and drive one to answer your questions

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of "I sure would never want to get in a feud with your family!"

as to the OP: get the spyder. end of analysis.

·
Super Moderator
3,303 Posts
Welcome to the site. I have a twin-turbo Z in my shop that is getting the body restored and also having a crate motor swapped in. Both cars are fun in their own ways. As for fitting, I'd say sit in one and take it for a test drive. I'm 6'1" 160 lbs. and I complain about my left leg hitting the steering wheel. Otherwise there is plenty of room.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awd is over rated in the snow. good to know that the Mr-S is capable though.
We do have a lot of mountain roads here so I do tend to do some canyon runs from time to time, but I don't think ill be doing that until I'm used to a M/R car, as i hear its a whole different beast. I think I found a place that has one that will let me test drive. There is a hotrod shop here that can do seat rails and seats to help with the fit. If i remember correctly Im balanced out Trs/trnk 45/55. And yes Yzoo7, sad to say but pants are always a problem. Its getting better as they are starting to make 34 lengh but before, I was always stuck with 32 (capris)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I never would have guessed that. I always assumed these cars were deathtraps in the snow
That's what I figured, and I prefer to keep my car clean. I never drive it in rain or snow. Awd isn't overrated in ice and snow(though it isn't necessary) It's accually pretty fun! I love being the only one at a light able to take off, and keep traction while turning. My husbands dd is an awd mazdaspeed6. It was alot of fun last year when it iced up, and we played in an empty parking lot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts