MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my passenger window switch broke, for those that know what the internals look like one of the two white "arms" that extend from the black switch and actually push on the metal bits inside that make contact for window movement snapped somehow making it so the window can roll down but not up. A new switch is over 50 dollars and unfortunately I've hit a bit of a rough patch financially, my new job starts in a month and I wont have the money for a new one for quite a while.

My question is this, is there any way to make the window go up and down without the switch? Could I use a paper clip to bridge 2 of the ports on the harness the switch clicks in to? I still have the white part of the switch if that makes it any easier. I just want to make sure I don't go blowing fuses but it would be nice in the freak 80 degree weather we've been getting to throw down both the windows.

Thanks in advance for any tips, hopefully I can get a new switch soon.

-Spargo

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Part number is 84810‑17050 - about $42 plus shipping online.

I show a listing for:
MR2 2002.08-2005.01 4cyl 1.8L MTM CVT
MR2 1999.12-2002.08 4cyl 1.8L MTM CVT

Which means it looks like there may not be a parts bin for it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Take any switch you have lying around, and extend and connect the wires to it.

Unless you're secretly him:

Then I'd suggest using a paperclip.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I sold a MKI several years ago that had a similar problem on the driver window. I saw the buyer a few months later and asked him about it. He said he didn't replace it. He just wired in a toggle switch.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Probably want something a little bigger than a paperclip. I think the window switches are high power.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I predict a car fire in spargo's future. But seriously, don't you have a credit card that you can make this purchase with and pay this off later?

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Next thread. "Does anyone know where the I can get a body fuse block and wiring harness? The fuse kept blowing so I just bridged it with some 14 gauge wire. When I put my passenger window up everything in the car stopped working. I think Toyota should pay for the defective wiring." Now you are going to Spargo the wiring? Think long and hard about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts