MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Analysis of OEM EH-PS Fluid and its Alternatives: The Results and Viable Replacements

There are a few options for replacement EH-PS fluid, since Toyota discontinued the OEM stuff. There is Amsoil, Ravenol, and Pentosin. But they all have differing specs and conflicting compatibility charts. I needed to flush my system and a kind person on Facebook sent me about 1/3 of a can of the OEM fluid for the cost of shipping. I decided to use the stuff for good and called Blackstone. They agreed to test it and give me some of the important specs of the fluid, so we could match it as closely as possible to the aftermarket alternatives. Today I sent the fluid via USPS, and I'll let you guys know what the results are. Should be interesting!

UPDATE:

Thanks to the great suggestions in this thread and the kind offers of users, we're going to test a bunch of different fluids out for the Toyota Electro-Hydraulic power steering system! Here are the main fluids we need to test based on Spyderchat user recommendations:

Amsoil Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Power Steering Fluid: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...multi-vehicle-synthetic-power-steering-fluid/
Triz has kindly offered a bottle for testing.

Ravenol E-PSF Full Synthetic Electro-Hydraulic Fluid (claims direct compatibility): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKM0NXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have a brand new bottle of this I can use for testing.

Pentosin CHF11S (claims general compatibility with electro-hydraulic systems): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WTHW26/?coliid=I1T4MFMHN1VACQ&colid=3F6FG295U3WKS&psc=1

Nissan Genuine E-PSF Electric Power Steering Fluid (no connection to Toyota systems): https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-999MP-EPSF00P-Electric-Steering/dp/B00AKYOZ48/

Lastly we can send in a sample of ATF (what Toyota recommends for traditional power steering systems) but we know it kills our EH-PS pumps so I'm not sure there's a point.

And of course, Blackstone analysis costs $28 per sample. I would be very thankful if the community could come together and help cover these costs. I've already paid for an analysis of the brand new OEM Toyota fluid. If you'd like to donate some money for the analysis, please PM me! I will happily put up a list in the OP of donators who contributed to the community. And I will stop taking donations once all the tests are paid for.

UPDATE 2:

We have enough money to get all the tests done! I'm no longer taking donations.

UPDATE 3: The results are in!

Here is the OEM fluid result for reference:

Amsoil:

Pentosin:

Nissan:

Ravenol (I added the names to the other tests so the numbers can be directly compared):

Obviously neither Blackstone nor I can give a recommendation. The analysis doesn't give the full story and we can't possibly know how each fluid will affect the life and functionality of our power steering system. However, there are conclusions to be drawn from the results. The numbers for the Nissan fluid are extremely similar to the OEM fluid, barring the flash point. The flashpoint is likely irrelevant since the fluid rarely gets very hot at all in our power steering system. The others are lacking in one way or another, or multiple ways. Ravenol claims direct compatibility with both the OEM fluid and the Nissan fluid, but Ravenol's word isn't very reliable (see the SMT fluid fiasco and Ravenol's disappointing response). Neither Pentosin nor Amsoil claim compatibility, yet some have seen success with all four fluids.

Thank you to everyone who donated and contributed to finding a better solution than buying overpriced, discontinued OEM fluid!

·
Registered
23,153 Posts
Amsoil provides specifications for its fluid. I would trust manufacturer specs.

The specifications will only tell you the pour point, flash point and so on but it will not tell you the chemistry proportions.
Even comparing chemistry its still a guess without understanding what it is that makes these fluids safe for our PS pumps because you can't make a determination if one fluid is closer in specifications then another.
Also it needs to be known what is in regular PS fluid that is causing the pump to fail.

Its is a good guess and it would also be good to compare the specifications if possible to regular PS fluid to see if its a viscosity difference that is the outlier.

·
Registered
23,153 Posts
You're right. Unfortunately I don't have any amsoil fluid, nor much spare cash right now to pay for each test. No complaints from me, just can't do every test right now. Maybe other can chip in with a test for each fluid?
That would be the best way to do this test is to take donations. I have seen this done on other forums and im sure people would be more than generous to chip in.

There are two cars that I know of that is running the Amsoil product without any issues so far. I will find out Saturday from the owner how its doing.
From my best recollection those that used regular power steering had failures between six months and a year.

Edit June 2 2018

Do not use Amsoil PS fluid. It is not a direct equivalent fluid.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder 2.0L Stroker
4,285 Posts
Be more than happy to donate a bottle for the cause. Would be interesting. PM your details and I'll try and get you one for next week.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be the best way to do this test is to take donations. I have seen this done on other forums and im sure people would be more than generous to chip in.

There are two cars that I know of that is running the Amsoil product without any issues so far. I will find out Saturday from the owner how its doing.
From my best recollection those that used regular power steering had failures between six months and a year.
Great idea. I'd be happy to put in the work as long as I get a bit of help funding it.

That's for the SMT system, but yes that illustrates why I do not trust their compatibility charts.

Wasn't it cyclehead who tested o rings in different fluids and found rapid deformation of the rubber o rings with pentosin?
Cyclehead had a similar issue, also with the SMT system, but with Ravenol. Yet ANOTHER reason why I don't trust those compatibility claims! All these companies don't know what they're talking about when it comes to the MR2.

Be more than happy to donate a bottle for the cause. Would be interesting. PM your details and I'll try and get you one for next week.
Thank you! PM inbound. I'd be glad to send it in.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So everyone, let's get this party started! Looks like we're going to test a bunch of different fluids out for the Toyota Electro-Hydraulic power steering system!

Looks like triz has kindly offered a bottle of the Amsoil fluid.

I now remember that I have a brand new bottle of Ravenol E-PSF that claims compatibility with Toyota EH-PS fluid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CKM0NXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a few fluids left. A few people have recommended Pentosin CHF11S. It does not state compatibility with Toyota EH-PS in particular, but it says it's made for EH systems. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WTHW26/?coliid=I1T4MFMHN1VACQ&colid=3F6FG295U3WKS&psc=1

A few have also recommended OEM Nissan electric power steering fluid. We can give that a shot. https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Niss...mr0&keywords=Nissan+EHPS+power+steering+fluid

Lastly we can send in a sample of ATF (what Toyota recommends for traditional power steering systems) but we know it kills our EH-PS pumps so I'm not sure there's a point.

And of course, Blackstone analysis costs $28 per fluid. I would be very thankful if the community could come together and help cover these costs. I've already paid for an analysis of the brand new OEM Toyota fluid. If you'd like to donate some money for the analysis, please PM me! I will happily put up a list in the OP of donators who contributed to the community. And I will stop taking donations once all the tests are paid for.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
So everyone, let's get this party started! Looks like we're going to test a bunch of different fluids out for the Toyota Electro-Hydraulic power steering system!
Before we fund an investigation, perhaps we should ask if Toyota offered any recommendations.
Toyota has seemingly abandoned the Spyder in regard to fluids. Perhaps they have suggested replacements.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before we fund an investigation, perhaps we should ask if Toyota offered any recommendations.
Toyota has seemingly abandoned the Spyder in regard to fluids. Perhaps they have suggested replacements.
I might be mistaken, but haven't people asked Toyota? I vaguely remember them giving hollow answers about "compatible" listed fluids.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I got a HUGE settlement from Ravenol with their SMT debacle, so I’ll be glad to use the proceeds to fund this entire effort. Oh wait - that was in my dreams, the alternate universe where reputable companies stand behind their products! In reality I got absolutely nothing from Ravenol. Not even a lousy apology.

But since I hate seeing people’s cars get ruined like mine, I’ll pitch in for a fluid test.

·
Registered
23,153 Posts
Count me in for sponsoring one of the tests.

I have seen this kind of thing done on other forums. It makes an interesting read.

If you get enough sponsorship you can probably extend this test to SMT fluid. Comparing Dot 4 to SMT fluid.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.