MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you have asked me to source alternatives to the expensive Superpro bushings that are now only being sold by TEIN. I believe I found another source for the rear front control arm bushing.

The rear front control arm bushing is very difficult to source because it's a one off bushing that only Super pro makes however there is an alternative that's almost half the cost and the best part is no wait time. It's made by Whiteline and they are a quality company so I am sure it will make a great alternative.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=W53302

I am 90% sure it will work and the only way to find out is if one of us installs this on a control arm.

I am still working with Energy Suspension on the rear so stay tuned.

My motivation for doing this is to sell my tool and DVD so hopefully our aged Spyders will be sorted out.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
563 Posts
Dev- I've had a lot of issues with this style bushing from whiteline in the anti lift kit they make for the wrx/sti. The bushing limits travel of the arm and due to the force applied the polyurethane disintegrates. :(

While in the honda community there were a lot of discussions on travel/motion limiting due to the stiffness of poly bushings and even harder durometer rubber bushings.

I think what would be ideal would be a sealed pillowball like the factory bushing in the rear lower knuckle. Cusco offers them for the front arms but they are stupid exspensive. I know whiteline has non-sealed spherical bushings to replace the poly ones on the subarus maybe they can make us a sealed set?

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dev- I've had a lot of issues with this style bushing from whiteline in the anti lift kit they make for the wrx/sti. The bushing limits travel of the arm and due to the force applied the polyurethane disintegrates. :(

While in the honda community there were a lot of discussions on travel/motion limiting due to the stiffness of poly bushings and even harder durometer rubber bushings.

I think what would be ideal would be a sealed pillowball like the factory bushing in the rear lower knuckle. Cusco offers them for the front arms but they are stupid exspensive. I know whiteline has non-sealed spherical bushings to replace the poly ones on the subarus maybe they can make us a sealed set?
Bushings going bad for one application can be very different for another. Energy Suspension , Prothane and many other manufactures have had failures with their bushing designs and what really makes the difference is the right durometer, urathane used and what kind of roads the bushing is subjected to.

In regard to using a sealed pillowball or even delrin bushings it would only be advisable on a track car and not a street car. Spherical ends can take a beating but they will not be able to handle the rigor of daily driving. You need the right amount of give so that you don't start bending the control arms.

Now if you were to tell me that the urethane materiel that Whiteline uses crumbles then that should be a concern on the whole and it should be avoided.

In regard to this style of bushing, I have the one from Superpro and it has held up great for many miles and four years.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The failure in this style of bushing has been the inability to stabilize the inner sleeve effectively. The poly that whiteline uses is decent stuff but I think unless they mold the inner sleeve into the bushing it will see the same failure point :(

·
Registered
563 Posts
A sealed pillow ball like the OEM lower rear knuckle bushing is the best option but as far as I know Cusco is the only one who offers them

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The failure in this style of bushing has been the inability to stabilize the inner sleeve effectively. The poly that whiteline uses is decent stuff but I think unless they mold the inner sleeve into the bushing it will see the same failure point :(
I don't think the design would be a problem, reason being the Superpro bushing is of the same design where the inner sleeve is not only not part of the bushing it also appears to have less surface contact with the urethane. Using the same logic we have to assume the Superpro is at fault as well. This Whiteline bushing will have to be tried and evaluated for our community. You have good insight however each application is different as well as the forces that can cause failure.

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the record I do not sell bushings and I do not care where you get the bushings from, I have only helped with setting up a group buy. It would be ill advised to make something that is not intended or tested for this control arm as there is quiet a bit of engineering involved. I am only trying to help the community and make some bones with ease of removal and install of the bushings by the use of my tool and DVD so it is only to my advantage to point out bushing options and try to get a few manufactures to produce them for us at a reasonable cost. If I were going to sell the bushing in question It would be in the vendor sales section where it belongs.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Since I have not heard back from you I take it you are not interested in going any further with the Superpro full kit GB that we had been looking into? Even though we could get them for around half price ( plus freight costs) and did not have to go through TEIN? Thought they would be the way to go being tried and tested and the best ones out there?

·
Registered
23,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I have not heard back from you I take it you are not interested in going any further with the Superpro full kit GB that we had been looking into? Even though we could get them for around half price ( plus freight costs) and did not have to go through TEIN? Thought they would be the way to go being tried and tested and the best ones out there?
Lets keep all of our options on the table, I am still interested but I still feel that the price is too high but if you are saying that you can get them for half of what TEIN charges then by all means lets have that discussion publicly on the price and if people are willing to pay then who am I to stand in anyone's way. Before I was in discussions with you I have been in discussions with Energy Suspension who are slow at getting back to me so that has been an ongoing thing.
If you have all of the Superpro bushings priced out then it is time to start a GB however I will not be conducting the GB you will.

All I want is for people to have options so they can address their bushings and so I can sell my tool kit.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
How many people are interested in the superpro kit? The superpro kit has a 4 week ETA. Whoever is in charge of this group buy can PM me and I can help you out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
What's in it

How many people are interested in the superpro kit? The superpro kit has a 4 week ETA. Whoever is in charge of this group buy can PM me and I can help you out.
Forgive me but what's in the kit again? is that the same Dev kit? Does it contain the bushing above? How much? At any rate I'm in cuz I need to replace my big bushings.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I would think it best to contact Dev. I believe he is the original poster of this thread. Perhpas he has more info?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts