MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 959 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on campaigning the car in Estreet next year.

So...Is the big front bar still the answer? What tire? Camber? I figure if we can start some discussion here, it will help us all in the long run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am planning on campaigning the car in Estreet next year.

So...Is the big front bar still the answer? What tire? Camber? I figure if we can start some discussion here, it will help us all in the long run.
I will be in that class next year as well. I already have the Rivals and they are amazing. After the 2nd event, the tires really came alive. There wasn't much feedback on them at first but once they were worn in they were awesome. The previous C-stock thread discusses the amount of camber. As far as the sway bar, there is some info about that too in that thread, but I am wondering if anyone with autox experience can share their setup w/ the front sway bar and which one they use

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be in that class next year as well. I already have the Rivals and they are amazing. After the 2nd event, the tires really came alive. There wasn't much feedback on them at first but once they were worn in they were awesome. The previous C-stock thread discusses the amount of camber. As far as the sway bar, there is some info about that too in that thread, but I am wondering if anyone with autox experience can share their setup w/ the front sway bar and which one they use
Sanner 1 1/4", full stiff. That is what I run today in CS prep.

·
3,303 Posts
I imagine you prep it like a CS car, and then whatever else you can do in the street category.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Has anyone run a 1" addco and compared it to the 1 1/4" saner bar?
What was the main reason for needing the bar that stiff? I have a 04 with the lsd so I haven't had issues with inside wheel spin.

Had I run the complete season locally this year, I would have fought for the win in our local stock class (we have been running a street class for several seasons now), and with the change to ES, I would have won.
I think it will be a good car, but the miatas were good and are coming with on the change. For overall event pax its a good change for spyders, but the competition will still be there in the class itself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The big Saner bar is only 1 1/8, not 1 1/4, if IIRC. The only way I was aware of to get a 1 1/4 inch bar is to build a customized 3-piece NASCAR style bar.

Reasoning for the big bar was to reduce inside rear wheel spin. With less grip from street tires, compared to R comps, a massive front bar *may* not be necessary.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The big Saner bar is only 1 1/8, not 1 1/4, if IIRC. The only way I was aware of to get a 1 1/4 inch bar is to build a customized 3-piece NASCAR style bar.

Reasoning for the big bar was to reduce inside rear wheel spin. With less grip from street tires, compared to R comps, a massive front bar *may* not be necessary with the Spyder in the new ES.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The big front bar also reduces body roll which is important. Street tires have much less sidewall stiffness than hoosiers, so the car will roll much more on street tires. I'd keep the same exact setup as in CS and run it in EStreet.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Reasoning for the big bar was to reduce inside rear wheel spin. With less grip from street tires, compared to R comps, a massive front bar *may* not be necessary.
You are completely right. 1 1/8 not 1 1/4 and yep, inside rear wheel spin.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Has anyone run a 1" addco and compared it to the 1 1/4" saner bar?
What was the main reason for needing the bar that stiff? I have a 04 with the lsd so I haven't had issues with inside wheel spin.

Had I run the complete season locally this year, I would have fought for the win in our local stock class (we have been running a street class for several seasons now), and with the change to ES, I would have won.
I think it will be a good car, but the miatas were good and are coming with on the change. For overall event pax its a good change for spyders, but the competition will still be there in the class itself.
I tried finding information about the addco bar but didn't find too much (as far as handling goes). I couldn't find anything about anyone selling the saner bar or if you have to call them directly. I see there is a whiteline adjustable front sway bar which is a little bit under an inch in size. I think I might go with that one since it seems the most comparable to the saner bar and I can't locate the saner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just bought a 1.0 inch Addco from a dealer off of eBay for $160 and put it on the car this week. Other places are selling them for a bit more money. I'm going to run it this weekend for the first time. It seemed to stiffen the car up a lot based on my limited drive time on the street.

·
Registered
506 Posts

I bought the Addco last spring as it was cheap for the amount of bar, and I have had good experiences in the past with there products.
1 1/8" on the Saner bar is what I knew up until this thread.
The 1/8" difference between the two shouldn't mean that much if you have the lsd and the 7" wide rears as I do.
The car gets tail happy if your right foot is heavy in a hard transition but the only place I found needing some work with was low speed corners getting on throttle. Front end pushes a tad.
I believe its due to the body roll and the weight transfer and the one loaded 205 not having enough grip.
I figure the Koni yellows or custom valved bilsteins will help it.
Otherwise the cars been great in stock.
Looking forward to 14'.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You could always buy an Addco swaybar and then flatten the ends out and drill mounting holes for the endlinks further down the mounting arms to stiffen it up. That also makes it adjustable too.

·
3,303 Posts

Reasoning for the big bar was to reduce inside rear wheel spin. With less grip from street tires, compared to R comps, a massive front bar *may* not be necessary with the Spyder in the new ES.
There were a few 1 1/4" Saner bars made, but they are very rare. I haven't seen one for sale in almost 3 years.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I went ahead and ordered some 195/50/15 R1Rs today (shaved to 4/32nds), interested in their performance compared to the z11s mostly.

i picked up some 15x6 (hoping the tolerance between 38mm and 1/4" was workable) and 15x6.5 SSR comps, albeit before seeing fitment issues with the SSR comp on the front. Interested in seeing where they contact the caliper, and if there is a workaround within the rules. If not, there will be some happy miata guy that will purchase them and i will be going back to mis matched wheels until finding something else.

sticking with the CS setup and seeing what adjustments need to be made. our locals start middle of next month, so it is about that time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I went ahead and ordered some 195/50/15 R1Rs today (shaved to 4/32nds), interested in their performance compared to the z11s mostly.

i picked up some 15x6 (hoping the tolerance between 38mm and 1/4" was workable) and 15x6.5 SSR comps, albeit before seeing fitment issues with the SSR comp on the front. Interested in seeing where they contact the caliper, and if there is a workaround within the rules. If not, there will be some happy miata guy that will purchase them and i will be going back to mis matched wheels until finding something else.

sticking with the CS setup and seeing what adjustments need to be made. our locals start middle of next month, so it is about that time.
I still haven't gotten a front sway bar but got Koni's installed. I have been running in ES the past two events on rivals. I run at gulfcoastautocrossers and it is one of the best events in Florida (as far as length and pavement). I seem to have a decent amount of roll still so I am really trying to get this sway bar soon. I have the konis on full still in the front and half still in the rear which seems to work well for the setup now.

·
Spyderchat Enthusiast
2,812 Posts
I still haven't gotten a front sway bar but got Koni's installed. I have been running in ES the past two events on rivals. I run at gulfcoastautocrossers and it is one of the best events in Florida (as far as length and pavement). I seem to have a decent amount of roll still so I am really trying to get this sway bar soon. I have the konis on full still in the front and half still in the rear which seems to work well for the setup now.
Check with xbiker. I believe he had a saner sway bar that he offered to sell us when we were down there last fall. I could be mistaken but it is worth a PM to check out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've got a 1.0 inch Saner bar if anyone's interested.

I'm registered and plan to be at the Dixie Tour and can bring it with me, assuming Koni gets my struts to me in time.

1 - 20 of 959 Posts
About this Discussion
958 Replies
64 Participants
qwrty
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing