MR2 SpyderChat banner

41 - 60 of 959 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Got a set of koni's for 504 shipped from twos r us.

E-street here we come.
Someone here needs to take the nats title this year.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
There is a 3 piece nascar style bar for sale on the board. If I didn't already have the saner, i would be looking at it.

I picked up some lightweight lugs today, and am having the new vinyl cut for the car (haven't had to do that in a long time.) I think I liked the car being non competitive in stock (and only being interested in locals.) this move to street is making the hoosier purchase every year look cheap. ;)

i doubt I will make Dixie, but am registered for the Match Tour in Wilmington. I plan to hit a few more national events this year, so hopefully I can put some faces with screen names by the end of the season.
I've still got a 3-piece bar available and a Saner 1-inch bar.

·
Registered
506 Posts
3.4 seconds on the class is more then good.
We shall see what the result is like when some bigger names join in as that can have an effect to level things out again. What's his autox experience.

·
Registered
150 Posts
watching sololive it looks like you faired pretty well down in GA.
Thanks! It was a fun event. And, everyone in class was incredibly nice and fun to hang out with. In all fairness, I did think the course was favorable to the Spyder, fairly open and fast.

We literally just got the Konis, exhaust, and tires mounted the day before leaving and took a guess on alignment. So, I really didn't know what to expect from the car and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The car was still a bit pushy and I couldn't get it to rotate, so there's still work to do on setup. I was amazed at how good the Toyos felt - what an amazing street tire!

As far as experience goes, per the other question...I've autocrossed for 20 years, but haven't done much in recent years, occasionally grabbing a co-drive. Kids have cut into my tire money and time :) I've trophied at Nationals in two different Spyders and a few other cars over the years. Was runner-up in the Pro Solo Championship for C Stock around 2007 in a Miata. I'm definitely inconsistent, but as someone says, that's why most of us have regular jobs during the week :)

The class will be wicked fast as there will be a lot of top shelf Miata pilots and hopefully some Spyder drivers out there as the season goes on. I'm sure the Barowski's in their 1996 Miata R and many others would beat me handily now. Hopefully with some work on the car and driver, we can be competitive at some big events this year...(knocking on wood). After not driving much for a long time we're just excited to be able to get out and do some events. I've really missed autocrossing and think the Spyder is a blast to drive.

Looking forward to meeting and running with IMAZERO at the Wilmington Match Tour next month. I've heard the site is awesome. Hope to meet some other Spyder pilots this year.

My better half, Chris Peterson, and our other co-driver (Jennifer Bedell) will be running ESL and L2 at some of the Pro Solos. We're hoping to make it to the Blytheville Pro this weekend.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Thanks! It was a fun event. And, everyone in class was incredibly nice and fun to hang out with. In all fairness, I did think the course was favorable to the Spyder, fairly open and fast.

We literally just got the Konis, exhaust, and tires mounted the day before leaving and took a guess on alignment. So, I really didn't know what to expect from the car and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The car was still a bit pushy and I couldn't get it to rotate, so there's still work to do on setup. I was amazed at how good the Toyos felt - what an amazing street tire!

As far as experience goes, per the other question...I've autocrossed for 20 years, but haven't done much in recent years, occasionally grabbing a co-drive. Kids have cut into my tire money and time :) I've trophied at Nationals in two different Spyders and a few other cars over the years. Was runner-up in the Pro Solo Championship for C Stock around 2007 in a Miata. I'm definitely inconsistent, but as someone says, that's why most of us have regular jobs during the week :)

The class will be wicked fast as there will be a lot of top shelf Miata pilots and hopefully some Spyder drivers out there as the season goes on. I'm sure the Barowski's in their 1996 Miata R and many others would beat me handily now. Hopefully with some work on the car and driver, we can be competitive at some big events this year...(knocking on wood). After not driving much for a long time we're just excited to be able to get out and do some events. I've really missed autocrossing and think the Spyder is a blast to drive.

Looking forward to meeting and running with IMAZERO at the Wilmington Match Tour next month. I've heard the site is awesome. Hope to meet some other Spyder pilots this year.

My better half, Chris Peterson, and our other co-driver (Jennifer Bedell) will be running ESL and L2 at some of the Pro Solos. We're hoping to make it to the Blytheville Pro this weekend.
Congrats! Hopefully the rest of the season follows the same path.
Look forward to meeting you at some point.
Which toyos are you running? The 195's all round?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
So yeah, i just signed up for Blytheville. So, should meet sooner than Wilmington. Looking forward to it. I need to shake down the car a bit, I too am on new konis, toyos, and what I think is a good alignment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awesome! Looking forward to running with you and trading info on the Spyder to make us all faster!! Looks like most of the cars in SR are of the higher horsepower variety and it's supposed to be a big course. So, we may not fair as well on the index, but it will still be a blast as the site it supposed to be fantastic.

Eric

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Awesome! Looking forward to running with you and trading info on the Spyder to make us all faster!! Looks like most of the cars in SR are of the higher horsepower variety and it's supposed to be a big course. So, we may not fair as well on the index, but it will still be a blast as the site it supposed to be fantastic.

Eric
The lot expansion and promise of 12 runs is really what drew me in. It would be nice to do well in SR, but definitely not counting on it. It will be my first event on streets, so it should be interesting.

We are heading out early on Friday and plan to get some practice starts/practice runs in.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Alright, back from Blytheville and my first outing in the spyder in the new EStreet class. I had the opportunity to meet Eric P, and had some close racing. Good times even with the poor weather. I believe we went in with low expectations, but we ended up coming back 1 and 2 in SR. The car is competitive, and seems to have a bit of an edge until others start closing the gap.

The car did great, to say it felt fantastic on the toyos would be an understatement. They did everything I wanted them to and then some. They do require some heat, so the first run was typically a throw away. There were no issues with overheating throughout the event, even with the quick nature of the Pro Solo. This could change when the weather starts to warm up (it was 50-60 degrees in Blytheville.)

I would say the formula has not really changed from the CS days. I didn't make any major tweaks to anything over the weekend, and had the opportunity to play in quite a few different conditions. There were not any major pinch points or digs on the course, so inside rear wheel lift was never an issue, my non-lsd car was able to put power down everywhere it wanted to, even with my bar on full soft. I might try stiffening it up over the next few events and see where it lands me.

On the practice course, where things were very tight, it was a bit different. The car struggled with front end bite, and I found myself pushing quite a bit. It was also my first time on street tires, so I might have been over driving. It will take a couple more events to see if it was truly an issue, or if I was adjusting.

I do still plan on trying out some of the new generation tires once the weather starts to warm up, but I would be surprised if any offer anything over the shaved toyo. Saying that, the toyo is a 1 year tire, so budget minded folks might look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Great results guys but if you keep winning your going to give E street a really tough pax! Try and win but just barely ; ) It's tempting to demod down to E street because its so freakin cheap to run.

41 - 60 of 959 Posts
About this Discussion
958 Replies
64 Participants
qwrty
MR2 SpyderChat
SpyderChat Forum is a community for Toyota MR2 Spyder Enthusiasts to discuss specs, reliability and more!
Full Forum Listing