MR2 SpyderChat banner

The end is near.... Burning too much oil.

803 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  carlbecker 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 with 310,000 miles on it. Had a engine rebuilt about 110,000 miles ago.
Now weather to get a used engine imported from Japan for $1,275 with 40k miles on it???
Or get a rebuilt one from a "good" shop for $1,600??

The sad thing is I may go to the DARK side of the force with a S2000.
Since I bought this car I have put engine, transmission, struts ect. ect.

I love the power of a S2000 Honda, but test driving them is like driving a battle wagon.
The MR2 handles wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better then the S2000.

Yes its way faster, but cornering sucks.

What to do?

Should I throw in the towel?

#2 · (Edited)
Its a spyder forum, if you have to ask...
The car isn't totaled. Looking at your options, your spending more than a grand nomatter what you do. Why not just fix and keep. 310k miles? That's impressive. If you sold it for a s2000, it would be in your best interest to fix it before the sell anyway...but like I said this is a spyder forum, I wouldn't recommend switching for another car, the same year, with the same amount of space. If you wan't more power. Mod it. I rather have a spyder than an S2000, but that's just me.

personally, I wouldn't get rid of it.

#10 ·
Its a spyder forum, if you have to ask...
The car isn't totaled. Looking at your options, your spending more than a grand nomatter what you do. Why not just fix and keep. 310k miles? That's impressive. If you sold it for a s2000, it would be in your best interest to fix it before the sell anyway...but like I said this is a spyder forum, I wouldn't recommend switching for another car, the same year, with the same amount of space. If you wan't more power. Mod it. I rather have a spyder than an S2000, but that's just me.

personally, I wouldn't get rid of it.
+1. I also considered the S2000, but found after a testdrive, that it did not offer much I did not already have in my MR2.

#3 ·
If you're gonna install a different engine I wouldn't go rebuilt, just my opinion though. The S2000 is nice but I'm partial to the spyder. 310 000 miles is real impressive!!!!!

#4 ·
I have a 2001 with 310,000 miles on it. Had a engine rebuilt about 110,000 miles ago.... I have put engine, transmission, struts ect. ect.
It's called Maintenance.. it will need replacing at some time.. all cars need it.. and 110 K from a rebuild is a good number.. If you get a 2000, it will be someones problem they got rid of..

You like the MR2.. you know what problems it has.. you have people tht will work on it for you ( For a Fee )..

I do not see the Problem.. get a used motor and toss it in.. and then drive it some more..

Cap

#9 ·
If you get a 2000, it will be someones problem they got rid of..

Cap
I have to agree with Cap here. Another car means you have to subject yourself to what other problems may come your way. At least with your Spyder, you know the issues and can fix them...and that should be worth more than buying another car outright. Stick with the Spyder and get the rebuilt motor.

#7 ·
well, i'm with you so far....

i even had my ck book out to buy an S2K back in 07....but i had to test drive it one more time....it just didn't make my heart sing:eek:

just can't beat permagrin:wub:

just sayin'

#11 ·
You should go with the tried and true solution. 2ZZ swap FTW... Engine management is a must though! With a good tune your usable power will not be that different from the S2k, but with a much lighter chassis. And I know I don't have to go into the whole thing about the engine being in the right place, and having a proper instrument cluster, and not being an under steering pig, and having forums with cooler people-_-

#12 ·
I only drove a S2000 once for a short time. Nice car but not me. I find the Spyder excellent and very well balanced. 300k is a lot of miles on the chassis and something else will wear out but there are no car payments. Go with your gut, you know what you will be missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.