MR2 SpyderChat banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The SMT relearn process, video.

[video=facebook;281239185226446]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=281239185226446[/video]

Relean for friction:

The procedure is as follows:

1. Warm up your car, until coolant temp gauge is horizontal

2. On a straight stretch of road, put car into 1st and start moving

3. At an appropriate point, shift directly from 1st into 3rd

4. On 3rd, rev engine to over 3000rpm, then lift off throttle. Let car coast and rpm drop (without applying breaks) to below 3000rpm and downshift into
2nd. Again, let car coast in 2nd until rpm below 2000rpm.

5. Apply break and stop car.

Repeat steps 1 through 5 three times.

Do it many times. I did it about 30 times in a row and it seems to help...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice write up!

BTW, your video is unavailabe, probably due to your facebook restrictions

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The Kms on the speedometer make me miss my Canada childhood....

My 2-cents regarding: "I did it about 30 times in a row and it semed to help...", this seems like black magic to me, not science.

This method (combined with first pulling the battery over night) couldn't relearn my SMT ECU. When I purchased the car it had creep (rolling when foot is off the brake), jump starts (tires chirped when leaving stop signs), and bad downshifts (some grinding, no double shift possible without grinding). The only solution that worked was to find on Spyderchat the official Toyota relearn procedure (involving their computer to force an SMT reset) and bring it to the dealer.

Perhaps the SMT ECU parameters are stored in non-volatile memory (Flash), unlike the main ECU (RAM?)...

Perhaps someone can attest to this thread's method being very effective in some instances...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The Kms on the speedometer make me miss my Canada childhood....

My 2-cents regarding: "I did it about 30 times in a row and it semed to help...", this seems like black magic to me, not science.

This method (combined with first pulling the battery over night) couldn't relearn my SMT ECU. When I purchased the car it had creep (rolling when foot is off the brake), jump starts (tires chirped when leaving stop signs), and bad downshifts (some grinding, no double shift possible without grinding). The only solution that worked was to find on Spyderchat the official Toyota relearn procedure (involving their computer to force an SMT reset) and bring it to the dealer.

Perhaps the SMT ECU parameters are stored in non-volatile memory (Flash), unlike the main ECU (RAM?)...

Perhaps someone can attest to this thread's method being very effective in some instances...
I think the door has to be left open to ground out the memory once the battery is disconnected, my son's did a fresh relearn (led blinking lcd counting off gears and gsu operating before settling and led stops flashing) every time I left the door open. If I didn't leave the door open it wouldn't go through it's self learning.

That part was left out of Bosse's video, so I'm not sure if hes doing a fresh relearn, or just using the relearn procedure for it to correct it's stored numbers. The fact that he still had a saved cel after the relearn and it took 30 times to start behaving itself makes me think that was the case. A fresh relearn shouldn't take more than 5 times to behave. Almost like clockwork on a working SMT I've had them be jumpy on the first one, behave on the second, and throw in the third just to lock it down on those numbers. I don't know if it's required but I turn the car off and restart it between each one, I know it won't store some cel codes unless it's in two different operations, so I just assume it's the same with the SMT numbers.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks Bosse99 and plebian. I'm a believer now.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This method (combined with first pulling the battery over night) couldn't relearn my SMT ECU. When I purchased the car it had creep (rolling when foot is off the brake)
If you've got one of the early SMT's, that creep problem was a precursor to Toyota issuing a TSB for the ECU, replacing them with upgraded units which eliminated the creep. The new units started shipping about 1/4-way into the 2003 model year. Did you get a new one or did your problems vanish with the dealer relearn?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you've got one of the early SMT's, that creep problem was a precursor to Toyota issuing a TSB for the ECU, replacing them with upgraded units which eliminated the creep. The new units started shipping about 1/4-way into the 2003 model year. Did you get a new one or did your problems vanish with the dealer relearn?
Vanished in 2009 with the relearn. Thankfully. I compared my serial number to the TSB and mine is not in the "highway...to..the..danger zone." Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think the door has to be left open to ground out the memory once the battery is disconnected, my son's did a fresh relearn (led blinking lcd counting off gears and gsu operating before settling and led stops flashing) every time I left the door open. If I didn't leave the door open it wouldn't go through it's self learning.

That part was left out of Bosse's video, so I'm not sure if hes doing a fresh relearn, or just using the relearn procedure for it to correct it's stored numbers.
I'm learning all the time! There seems do be a lot of gremlins regarding the SMT...

The video is just for making it clear how just the relearn as the text says is done (and it's fun to make videos!:)). I've just copied the text from some tread here at spyderchat. I'm gonna try the door open approach tomorrow since 30 times relearn as the video don't really seems to solve the problems completely. I have never got the green light flash and lcd counting gears. An open door seems to be a must for erasing the SMT-ECU.

I'm gonna edit my first post with the door open, disconnect battery thing tomorrow. If I get it to work.

And thanks for Google Chrome and it's spell checking! :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I believe it flashes yellow, but don't quote me on that. I just remember it flashing.

All the cars I've done the open door to were the updated 2000-2002 ecu's. Not sure if the open door will work on the 2003+ or nonupdated ecus. I know there's a big difference between the earlier years ecu and the 2003+ because pre-2003 are non-flashable. I would love to get my hands on a 2003 ecu and a flash update just to see what can be toyed with for the SMT matching to make gear shifting a bit more aggressive with the accelerator at max value.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How long time?

How long should the battery be disconnected and the door open for the smt-ecu to be erased?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nothing happens even if i leave the door open and the battery disconnected for an hour. I don't really have any problem with the N-light so it's light on as i should. No gearbox noises what so ever when connecting the battery again. But I want the SMT-ECU to learn all over again!

Can i erase the memory in it bye physically remove the smt-ecu? I have a 2001 so maybe the only thing is to have Toyota erase it? If they can do it. There are only 4 SMT in Sweden.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Nothing happens even if i leave the door open and the battery disconnected for an hour. I don't really have any problem with the N-light so it's light on as i should. No gearbox noises what so ever when connecting the battery again. But I want the SMT-ECU to learn all over again!

Can i erase the memory in it bye physically remove the smt-ecu? I have a 2001 so maybe the only thing is to have Toyota erase it? If they can do it. There are only 4 SMT in Sweden.
No, that would be the same as disconnecting the battery. They should be able to do it with their software (all I know is that it's 'add new part' under one of their options.)
I'm curious, what ECU do you have? The U.S. models had a a warranty swap for the 2000-mid 2003 models that apparently all 3 of ours had done. I would really like to know if the door open thing is a fluke with the updated ECU's.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

So Bosse99 and I both have the "stubborn version" of SMT-ECU that only Toyota can force to reset. I still remember finding on SpyderChat the list of S/N for cars on the TBS/recall and I was outside that range.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
It was a ECU advisory, not TCU. I'm having a problem finding the full TSB online, it has which parts numbers were affected and what the replacement numbers were.

I believe it was this one:
NHTSA: Action Number: 10003356 Service Bulletin Number: 96996
I'm not 100% sure though since I can't seem to find the entire TSB. If I remember correctly it was the part numbers ending in 20 and 40 replaced with 21 and 41 respectively.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi!

Disconnected the battery and the transmission ECU and put it all back again after 10 minutes. Then when driving there was slipping all over. From start in 1st and all the way throw up changing. But after some driving everything went to my "normal state". The same jerking when starting (witch becomes less after everything is really warm) and a little slipping from 4 to 5. Something happens to the tcu when disconnected.

In my "normal state" it's strange how the gear changing from 3 to 4 can be so different compared to 4-5. 3-4 at high rev and the acc still, 4 goes in just like that. After accelerating some more say at 4 000 -4 500 and I hit the up shift button the rave goes up about 500 rev and then settles when 5 goes in. I know this so i always lift the throttle a bit when changing to 5 but that should not be necessarily.

If I change to 5 directly from 3 it goes in just as good as 4 does from 3.

Found someone in a forum that had a problem similar to mine. Well not really similar but if one read the tread maybe sometihing's gonna come up that can help me. But he just ends the discussion with "I'm back on the road" and nothing of how he solved the problem. That's makes me just :mad:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts