MR2 SpyderChat banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
I didn’t see anything on his Southern Belle thread that would reflect the 100kg weightloss (200+ lbs for us Yanks), but I think it’s a result of small things adding up
It's all in add-up, spare tire and frunk box with tools is probably 50lbs right there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
It's all in add-up, spare tire and frunk box with tools is probably 50lbs right there.
true, but it starts to go downhill from there!

I shaved about 50# between the spare and a lighter battery alone. Next major drops will come from the heavy muffler, but after that there’s not much fat on a MR2 that doesn’t take away some major benefit with its offset being a small amount of weight. Just depends how you want your car to feel. Things like A/C, power steering, interior trim, and certain safety items Petrus removed (Airbags, bumper support, etc) all do add up together, but I preferred to keep those items and just add the motor and trans these cars should’ve got in the first place.

The other thing to keep in mind is that where you’re taking the weight off the car does affect balance. My goal is to shed weight from the rear as much as possible. At least in the same manner that the car is currently balanced.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Rear weight saving is important. I am keeping AC (in Atlanta and might even move Miami in few month). Power steering will go with the swap. I need to get light battery and figure out a good lightweight muffler--- that should get me closer to pre swap weight, (gaining about 100+lbs). I have planned to put on some cheapo flowmaster, but thinking of maybe even superbike muffler?? Anyone try those on spyders?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Petrus used a motorcycle muffler on his car. I considered it, and may still do it, but I’m confident it’s going to be way too loud

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I didn’t see anything on his Southern Belle thread that would reflect the 100kg weightloss (200+ lbs for us Yanks), but I think it’s a result of small things adding up
It´s quíte a bit more than 100kg. ;) and most is in the thread. Just add it up.
Fingers crossed as there máy be a cf bonnet coming (y)

This morning came back from an overnighter at love´s and it is not the weight/power ratio that does it for me; it is how quick it goes through the twisties, how incredibly quick it can be zapped trough an awkward space saving highway entry/exit zigzag.
The speed limits on the highways here are 100-120 km/h, some bits 80 even, so hp is a moot thing imo. Every bend, évery corner however... you notice the weight (or lack of it).

Was well below zere btw but the car was in the sun so the hood pliable. Whát a joy through the fresh mountain air :love:

For mé the continental european open two seater form the 1930-40s are the archetypical sports cars. Lighter and with often lóvely, smaller yet perkier engines than the UK ones; almost cyclecars.
I´d have one for daily transport if that were anywhere near practical but the technolgy is just too fickle, metallurgy just was not up to scratch of the designs. A pity because being vintage excempts them from basically áll modern regulations yet a doddle to insure.
The MR2 Spyder is for me a project to emulate the feeling but combined with reliablity and some creature comfort. The earliest Elises (before they imo lost the way and went faster/heavier) come close but are too spartan in their road holding.
The Spyder is for mé a very liveable compromise.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's exactly how I feel, but if I could get more power at very little weight gain, ohh well, let's play with that.

Petrus did you try moto exhaust? Friend has extra Buell race muffler. I am thinking of putting it on k24 headers. Any thought on this??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Petrus used a motorcycle muffler on his car.

Petrus did you try moto exhaust? Friend has extra Buell race muffler. I am thinking of putting it on k24 headers. Any thought on this??
Yes. I did.
Easy and lighweight.
Motorbike sports mufflers are straight through absorbtion no-dampers that don´t muffle much either. The reason being that they are really too small outer diameter to absorb a lot.

As to which to choose it is a rather wide field as you have plenty space, both in damamter and length nor does it matter how it looks as it is suffed out of sight.
You ideally want it all to be same inside diameter as the pipes and that´t it.

The easy way out, which Í took is using the stock muffle in and out. Get yourself a cheap rusty one form the scrapper and cut & shut it from there.

Sounds só cool; my gf´s think actually sáy, it is sexy. One says it turns her on. Mind you, I did not ask; shé came up with that.
It is LOÚD, as in LOUD though, when you floor it..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Loud dont scare me too much, i was driving around for half a year with NOTHING beyond the headers (that wiremesh part of the header broke off, so i just drove like that lol. As long as its not hearing damaging (header only was) I am cool with it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The nice thing with the superbike no-muffler is that is makes the gas pedal a loud pedal; you can dial down/up the noise as you please.
Doing 90-100 km/h on the highway the sound is a totally unobstrusive rumble.
At full song it is .... a full song.
Have a ´doppler effect´ sound file which is pure superbike :)
Dropped off a gf at the side of the highway, doubled back at the next turnoff and flew past her so she could record.
Yes, doubled back again to pick her up. How else would I get the file :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Fingers crossed at the moment. Don´t worry Safety Conscious, not while driving :geek:
There may, MÁY be a slight chance on a cf bonnet coming thisaway.
Pushed the car back into the sun just now; the dogs dancing their ´you can do it´ enthusiasticly around me.
-6 this morning so the solar power is nééded to make the top pliable enough to fold down: Mountain Girl is taking me out to lunch on a sunwarmed terrace up the road. Will take her for a spin to warm up the engine, charge the micro battery and enjoy the smóóth moves of the car.
Ahhhh, the unbearable lightness of life :love:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts