MR2 SpyderChat banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well recenty just changed my water pump for the 2zz one and the termostat for the trd 170f. I was wondering if I should also change the thin stock radiador for a mishimoto one or a koyo ( I dont know if there is another aftermarket one )
any feedback about those one?

·
Registered
614 Posts
well recenty just changed my water pump for the 2zz one and the termostat for the trd 170f. I was wondering if I should also change the thin stock radiador for a mishimoto one or a koyo ( I dont know if there is another aftermarket one )
any feedback about those one?
Mishimoto has a really cool policy about their radiators. They have an unconditional replacement policy!!! So if you damage it in anyway what so ever they will send you a new one. Provided you bought yours from an authorized vendor and have proof of purchase.

Or that's what C mentioned to me from Forward Motion. www.ForwardMotionPerformance.com

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the other thing to know if it is bolt on and if the stock fans works

·
Registered
759 Posts
One thing I was worried about but I could be wrong is the stress on the 2zz water pump now that the radiator is all the way at the front and the engine at the back.. That's a lot of plumbing.. and now to add a larger radiator wouldn't that cause more stress?

I was considering something like this pulley but I have not heard any one talking about it.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_91&products_id=1104
Free up the horsepower you're wasting!

MWR's lightweight aluminum water pump pulley drives your water pump 6% slower than stock to minimize parasitic loss and improve acceleration. By spinning the water pump more slowly you also decrease cavitation at high RPM and improve cooling.

All MWR pulleys are made of lightweight 6061 aluminum with a hard anodized coating. This results is an ultra light part with the same surface hardness as hardened steel. Weight is 247g compared with 325g for the stock pulley.

Lighter weight. More power. Better cooling.

Includes water pump pulley only. Underdrive alternator pulley available separately. Longer belt required - just add 2" to your stock belt length if upgrading alternator and water pump pulleys. This pulley fits 2ZZ water pump installed to 1ZZ or 2ZZ engine.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I already got that 2zz water pump with that pulley also 2zz water pump is much better than the 1zz here is my pic of both of them from yesterday

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've ran both MWR pulleys on my high milage 1zz without issue. Well I had air in the system but once that was cleared it was all good. Pulleys are a very noticeable gain.

I was talking to lighting motorsports about a new radiator. They said I should go with a Koyo.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a mishimoto sitting in a box, just trying to find time to actually go out and swap it and have it properly burped/ filled. Not something I want to try and do, and you have to cut the metal strip in front the radiator support to fit. If you see how wide the end bases are on the stock radiator is how wide (possibly a bit wider) the new triple core radiator is.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about koyo. Especially in regards to fitment, and being designed in japan i would expect none the less. However i believe they are still made in china except for their most expensive "racing spec" radiators which are made in japan still. Either way though their quality is at the top of the list and Koyo will be my choice when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a mishimoto sitting in a box, just trying to find time to actually go out and swap it and have it properly burped/ filled. Not something I want to try and do, and you have to cut the metal strip in front the radiator support to fit. If you see how wide the end bases are on the stock radiator is how wide (possibly a bit wider) the new triple core radiator is.
can you post detailed pics of it ebay pics are terrible and must of them doesnt represent the exact product

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
can you post detailed pics of it ebay pics are terrible and must of them doesnt represent the exact product
Ill dig it out tomorrow after work, Ive been meaning to measure it for fans since I picked it up. Only took it out of the box 3 times to check it out. Its well built and looks the part, the warranty is true to the dot, no questions asked during use of product (Front end crashes obviously not apply).

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suggested that to someone, but subsequent responses indicated that the 1zz and 2zz pumps are not interchangeable.
which is not true,both are completely interchangeable just get the pulley and all bolts and wala 2zz pump on 1zz.

and for the other guy I would like to make sure my car runs cool enough because hot weather + abuse is not such a good thing

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
i saw one 2zz spyder having koyo radiators & it's 3 row unlike the sard & my ARC's (2row)

The stock fans all bolt on to these aftermarket radiators.

initially i always thought why i had problems with overheating 2zz, burp often & correctly and over time the problem persisted. I have covered this in a thread about my problem. it was boiled down to a couple of pins of the 2zz swap wires. it compounded to a serious problems on my 2zz engine. (more details on more thread)

Now the fans runs correctly and on temp (unlike previously, only the AC fan worked)

yup i did every thing, a bigger radiator, to smaller pulley (mwr) to whatever to initially trying to solve the problem, and only to find it was after all a misplaced pins. I not saying its on ALL swap wirings but pls do check. it was the last thing on everyone minds when they tried to solve my case. (which i did point it out after exhausting serious $$)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont have overheating anymore this is more like a precaution ....... first time I had overheating it was my head gasket.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts